3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 7:58 AM by MagicToaster

The Strange Case of Change Case

MagicToaster Level 1

My company's name is MCS.  When I'm writing in caps, and then I want to re-use that text in sentence case I use Indesign's change case feature to change caps to sentence case.  When ever my company's name is in the copy, I always have to go back and re-write it as upper case.  I'm afraid that one day Ill forget to do it. 

Is there a setting that I could choose so that this particular combination of letters is always written in caps?

• 1. Re: The Strange Case of Change Case
          peter minneapolis Level 4

MagicToaster wrote:

My company's name is MCS.  When I'm writing in caps, and then I want to re-use that text in sentence case I use Indesign's change case feature to change caps to sentence case.  When ever my company's name is in the copy, I always have to go back and re-write it as upper case.  I'm afraid that one day Ill forget to do it. 

Is there a setting that I could choose so that this particular combination of letters is always written in caps?

In Preverences > Autocorrect, enter the lowercase as wrong and uppercase as correct.

Enable Edit > Spelling > Autocorrect - a check mark indicates it's enabled.

An alternate is to create a text variable and insert it where needed. You can speed up inserting a text variable by using Quick Apply.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign autocorrect tutorial," "InDesign text variable," and "InDesign preferences," without quotes, for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Message was edited by: peter at knowhowpro

• 2. Re: The Strange Case of Change Case
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

MagicToaster wrote:

When I'm writing in caps ...

There is a logical difference between text TYPED IN CAPS and regular text that has been capitalized as an attribute. You are mixing them while you should not.

• 3. Re: The Strange Case of Change Case
              MagicToaster Level 1

Peter, as always you are a technical wizard, thanks for the keywords.

Jong, perhaps my message was misleading, I don't actually do any writing. I worded my post that way because it is easier than explaining that the texts I receive from my copywriter or our outsourced writers or PR company are usualy Word Documents or texts embeded in an email messages.  They are the ones who type in caps.