3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 10:27 AM by bogiesan

How do i add a scrabled old TV look on my footage

HardlineProduxxtionz

Hey, have been looking for a tutorial or something like this for some time now, but not found anything. I'm wondering how i make a scrabbled old TV/security cam look on you footake.

Like in this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUj6GQ8_gc

Bougth the scramble on the bottom an top, and that that the footake is pushed around

• 1. Re: How do i add a scrabled old TV look on my footage
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

There are a bunch of ways to do this, and they've been discussed a lot in this forum.

Tell you what: look at the top of this forum's discussion page.  You'll see a magnifying glass.  Right next to it you'll see the biggest words on this whole entire page, which say "Search for an answer...".  I suggest you use that handy new tool.

• 2. Re: How do i add a scrabled old TV look on my footage
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There's literally hundreds of tutorials on this on the web and you can find prefab presets, commercial plug-ins and stock footage as well. You jsut need to look for "bad TV" or "distorted video". And the example you posted is really simple/ simplistic - a bit of Fractal Noise, a bit of Motion Tile, some minimal Displacement.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How do i add a scrabled old TV look on my footage
              bogiesan Level 4

Find the oldest VHS vcr you can. Look in thrift stores and your mother's basement. You're looking for one that has a manual tracking adjustment. You're only going to find this feature on vintage units from the late 1980s and mid 1990s. A tracking control that is accessible form the remote will work but later VHS machines had automatic tracking

, no user adjustments allowed or possible.

Record your video to the VHS machine. Play the recorder into your capture system and tweak the tracking.

Make another tape of your video and pull out about 60 feet of the tape form cassette. Fold it, crease it, carefully scratch it. Gently rewind it back into the cassette.

That clip you linked to is a simulation of bad tape. It is not a simulation of transmission errors or bad reception or glitchy surveillance cameras.

bogiesan