1 person found this helpful
You might try the CSH tester that's in RH to test out your help file.
Just to finish up this thread, I found the problem. Something simple that I didn't expect, as you might imagine. Amoungst all of the context IDs (1084 of them) there were a couple that weren't mapped. It didn't occur to me to look since every other help program I've used is robust enough not to completely break due to something this simple. Not robohelp, apparently. Even though the unmapped IDs had nothing to do with the fields in question they broke the What's this? help so completely that nothing worked. I'm amazed and appalled. What a waste of time.
Sorry, never had a problem with the CSH not working in my WebHelp projects due to incomplete MapIDs.
Two issues here.
1. George is using CHM format (I believe)
2. George is using "What's This" help, not regular CSH. So while it's similar, it's not quite the same thing.
@George - I know it's shocking to see that a product like RoboHelp would gag on something that seems simple to you. But please know that you are in a large minority in building (or choosing to continue to build) What's this type of help. I always thought this type of help was neat. It was simple and direct. But Microsoft themselves have abandoned it in favor of other methods.
In fairness to Adobe, I'm not sure I've ever seen ANY beta testers through the many years of beta testing I've been involved with that have played with the What's This type of help from RoboHelp. So it's likely become sort of the software version of a "vestigal tail" if you will. Please note that this is in no way intended to say don't blame Adobe because it's not working. Only to offer an explanation of how something that seems rather obvious to you may have slipped under the wire.
Helpful and Handy Links