7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2011 7:15 PM by wonderspark

Screen ratio-question, need help

Emppu-91

Hey there.

I have this problem with AP CS5. I like to post new videos to youtube every once-in-a-while and I use pretty low-quality videos so I only use a small portion of the screen as I render it. (pic1)

At some point of my editing-adventure I found the correct ratio on the export-screen that'll make my videos appear widescreen in youtube, but I accidentally lost the ratios the other day and now I've been desperately trying

to find the ratios again without any luck.

I actually tried different ratios with a shorter clip and found out that it actually DID turn out widescreen in tube with 73, 115, 69, 113,(pic2) but for some reason as I tried those ratios again on a little longer video than the 30 clip I used to test it, it turned out

to be accompanied with black bars in tube. (pic3)

What can I do, besides keep guessing the ratios? Should I download the clips I use at a higher quality, so that it'll somehow recognize them better and make them as widescreen, because that's all that I want. I don't mind my videos being a little lower quality than they could've be (also it takes less time to render), but I'd just like people to see them with widescreen from youtube. I'm really not at my territory as you can probably guess from my way of speaking and all...

Any help?

pic1.jpgpic2.jpgpic3.jpg

• 1. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Use a sequence that matches the properties of your footage.  Then you won't need to worry about this.

• 2. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
            Emppu-91 Level 1

What do you mean? I mean... in what way? My files are all at 360p and are mp4-files. How do I match the properties?

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:22:32 -0700

To: fluttershyelsa@hotmail.com

Subject: Screen ratio-question, need help

Re: Screen ratio-question, need help

created by Jim Simon in Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 - View the full discussion

Use a sequence that matches the properties of your footage.  Then you won't need to worry about this.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4027390#4027390

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4027390#4027390. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 3. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Time to read the Help manual.  There you will find the instructions on how to operate the program.

I recommend going through it from start to finish, in sequence.  Don't skip around.  Look up any words you don't fully understand.  Try each new thing after you learn about it.

• 4. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The link in Todd's FAQ Entry, would be a very good place to start, to learn about Sequence Presets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
                  Emppu-91 Level 1

Hey thanks for the help so far. I recently found a solution to this problem, from a video which told me to use QuickTime format and some spesific settings. Unfortunately they somehow only worked during that one video, since I recently tried to use the same settings on a different video and it didn't turn out widescreen like the previous one had (how is that even possible?). I rendered the video many times and used the correct sequence settings at least on my opinion, so what's the big idea this time? Any tips?

• 6. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Same ideas as before.  Do things right, and the problem does not exist.

It may be time to take step further back, and get yourself a proper education on video production before continuing.  I don't say that to be rude, it's just that this is fairly basic stuff you're getting tripped up on.  And people are generally more successful at their endeavors if they learn how to do something before they try doing it.

• 7. Re: Screen ratio-question, need help
                      wonderspark Level 1

I'll give an example.

I'm working with footage shot as 1920x1080. The frame rate is 23.976. The aspect ratio is 1.0 or 1:1. This means I create a sequence with those same parameters so that the picture displays correctly.

The joy of Premiere is that you can just drag your clip down to the New Item icon, and it will automatically create the right settings in a sequence that match your footage for you.

When you export, you should be able to use a preset that matches what you have. Nobody wants to see letter/pillarboxing or even worse, a combination resulting in windowboxing. Hopefully you understand the whole "widescreen" vs. "fullscreen" details of video. Aspect ratio can be complex if you've never really looked at it before, which is true of many people. The link below should help get you started, if you fall into this category.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29http://

The fact that you said, "I found the correct ratio on the export-screen that'll make my videos appear widescreen in youtube" makes it sound as if you're shooting 4:3 and faking it so that it looks 16:9. See how in all your screen shots, you have a grey area, with a black box inside, and THEN your image is inside that black area? That's bad. That means you're images don't match your sequence. If nothing else, go to Effects Control>Motion>Scale and size up the image until all that black area is covered by video footage. It's not the right way to do it, but since you said you have low quality footage anyway, it can't hurt to at least get the screen to fill correctly on YouTube.

Have you looked at FCP X? You might love that program, and it's pretty cheap!