8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 12:06 PM by Wendy7390

Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader

Wendy7390

I work for a State Agency that sends out .pdfs created with Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 to other State Agencies as an email attachment.

We put security on the .pdf allowing only printing of the document.

We have been doing this for years with no problems; however, we recently added a new branch of agencies to receive them.  Many of these agencies are unable to open the .pdf.

I suggested they update to the Reader X, but they say they are unable to update the Reader because, "Our IT department does not have the capability to upgrade my adobe without it affecting the daily operation of my case management system."  Apparently, they have lots of forms that they will be unable to use if they upgrade.

So, my question is:  Is there some other way the agencies can view and print the .pdf we are sending to them?

Thank you so much for your help!

• 1. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version are they using? It should be a simple matter of optimizing the PDF for an older version if that's the problem.

I work for a state agency as well and we commonly save as version 1.5 (unless we use some features not available in that version) and seem to have no issues.

• 2. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
            Wendy7390 Level 1

Thank you for replying graffiti.  The oldest option I saw to save down was to Version 3.0.  I tried that and the other agencies still could not open the document.  I do not know what version they are using.  There are about 50 of theses agencies across the state and the users are less than savy.

• 3. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader

Well right off it doesn't sound like a versioning issue. Do you know what version of Reader they are using or whether they are even using Adobe Reader at all?

Also, what exactly hapens when they try and open a PDF (do they get a warning? Error message?). How are they being sent and how are the users trying to open them?

Unfortunately, without this info, it'll be tough to track down the problem.

I'm assuming since you've added security that these PDF's contain sensitive information or I would ask you to post a sample of one that doesn't work. If so, maybe you can make a test PDF that we can look at?

• 4. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
                Wendy7390 Level 1

At least one of the agencies is using Acrobat Reader 5.0.

When they try to open the .pdf, they get an error message that says the file is damaged.  I have not gotten a more detailed error message than that.

The .pdf is sent via email with security to allow only printing. 

I have opened the .pdf on my home computer (Vista) and on several laptops and desktops (Windows 7, both 32-bit and 64-bit)  in the office.  I have no problem opening the .pdf on any of these machines; however, all those machines are using Reader 8.12 or higher.

I am not sure if I can post the document; although it is public information, you might need a Freedom of Information Request to get it.

Thank you for helping me with this.

• 5. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
                  Wendy7390 Level 1

I would like to add, it is not just one document.  It is a different document for each agency.

• 6. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader

Wendy7390 wrote:

When they try to open the .pdf, they get an error message that says the file is damaged.  I have not gotten a more detailed error message than that.

That could be enough.

Some email systems use encoding on files to make the transfer a little faster. When they are decoded at the receiving end, they can become corrupt.

One way to test if this is the issue would be to Zip the file first, email it, and see if they can unZip the file and open it. If that works, then encoding is the problem. Not sure what can be done about that other than to Zip all files or post the files to a server and send them a link.

I also seem to remember a conversation a long time ago about some newer files not being readable in Reader 5 and it tossed up that same error message but unfortunately, I'm depending on memory for that one and can't seem to find that old thread.

But try a testing a Zip file and see if that works first.

• 7. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
                      Wendy7390 Level 1

I have sent it as a zip file and am waiting on their response.  Thank you for helping me with this.

• 8. Re: Unable to Open .pdf and not allowed to update the Reader
                        Wendy7390 Level 1

Well, it seems like the agency I was working with set up a separate computer and updated the reader.  They can now open the documents.  They are also sending out a recommendation that all the other agencies in the branch do the same.

Thank you everyone for your help.