22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 2:28 PM by tonyharmer

Embedded video control

geoffreyjoe

I have imported a video into InDesign and provided a button to initiate play. However I find that as soon as the mouse passes over the video object it begins to play. Is there any way to prevent the video playing on mouse over and only on the button action? Geoff

• 1. Re: Embedded video control
          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

What version of InDesign are you using, please?

Is the movie in a SWF, or PDF?

Thanks!

Tony

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Embedded video control
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of InDesign? What format for your video? There were major changes in the handlng of video beginning with InDesign CS5 so the description of what to do varies greatly depending on your version.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Embedded video control
              geoffreyjoe Level 1

Steve, Tony

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I am using InDesign 5.5 V7.5. The particular videos are flv

Geoff

• 4. Re: Embedded video control
                tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Geoff

Is it possible for you to post a quick screen grab of your movie and the button?

Is the button positioned over the video?

Check the button's trigger event is set to On Release.

In the media panel, make sure that the movie isn't acidentally set to play on page load (which may give you the impression that it's playing on rollover, perhaps).

Tony

• 5. Re: Embedded video control
                  geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony,

Again thanks for getting back so soon. I've checked the button. It is off the video, the button release is set to On Release and the movie is not set to play on page load. I have attached a screen shot.VideoPlay.jpg

Actually there are two videos stacked in an object state with two buttons, Figure 1 and Figure 2. The button actions are set to 'Go to state' and 'play' the video. ButtonState.jpg

Just wondering if the problem is acually the flv format itself?

Thanks for helping, Geoff

• 6. Re: Embedded video control
                    tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Geoff

Hmmn - curious. Ive creeated a document with this setup and I'm unable to replicate the problem (and I have tried!).

Can you dropbox me a version of this page c/w assets? (if not too large). PM me the location if you like.

I'd like to have a look at it.

• 7. Re: Embedded video control
                      geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony

Thanks again for your attention. It's 11pm UK time so will respond tomorrow.

Geoff Hodgson

• 8. Re: Embedded video control
                        geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony,

You will,have to excuse my ignorance but how do I isolate one page? Can you

send me your drop box details please

Thanks

Geoff

• 9. Re: Embedded video control
                          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Geoff

That's ok!

Create a new copy of the document with a Save As... command, then in the pages panel remove all but this page.

Package that file and pop it into my Dropbox. I'm PM'ing you the details for that. I'll try to get a look at it later on today.

• 10. Re: Embedded video control
                            geoffreyjoe Level 1

Thanks Tony. Am at work now so may be late afternoon early evening when I

do this

Geoff

• 11. Re: Embedded video control
                              Michael Gianino Level 4

Geoff, that's a lot of personal information to be putting on a public forum. You might want to clear some of it out before you start getting spam. I imagine you may be replying with a smart phone, which is adding all that info. I wish I could tell you how to not do that, but I still use two tin cans and a wire.

• 12. Re: Embedded video control
                                geoffreyjoe Level 1

Michael

Thanks go heads up but didn't realise the potential security issue. Please give some advice on how to mitigate my error

Geoff

• 13. Re: Embedded video control
                                  geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony,

You've got me very worried about security. What details have I posted that

could be a threat and where are they? What do I need to edit out? I thought

forums were reasonably secure (clearly not!).

Another member has also given same advice/ warning.

Thanks

Geoff

• 14. Re: Embedded video control
                                    tonyharmer Level 3

I'll PM you now.

• 15. Re: Embedded video control
                                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

geoffreyjoe wrote:

Hi Tony,

You've got me very worried about security. What details have I posted that

could be a threat and where are they? What do I need to edit out? I thought

forums were reasonably secure (clearly not!).

Another member has also given same advice/ warning.

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I've deleted all of your personal info for you. In future keep in mind that not only do your reponses get emailed to anyone subscribed to your thread, but also are posted to the web page, even if you are using email to access the forum. You should remove any unnecessary auto-quotes and all personal information added by your email client before hitting the send button.

• 16. Re: Embedded video control
                                        geoffreyjoe Level 1

Peter, many thanks for your kind intervention. I will be more careful next time. Geoff

• 17. Re: Embedded video control
                                          geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony, many thanks for your private communications. I have now 'packaged' the page and deposited in your dropbox. Geoff

• 18. Re: Embedded video control
                                            tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Geoff

Got that, thanks - and it seems to be working perfectly here!

The only things I can think of immediately are:

1. Perform a Save As... operation on the file and create a new iteration. This sometimes works well as it 'clears out' any 'muck' that may be in there.
                                            2. Sometimes, if the document is very large, these things can go awry - if the document is large consider splitting it up into smaller modules and linking betwen those modules (I've actually just had to do this with a project I've been working on this week, as it had lots of SWF and video content - just too big to be useful).

Try out either of those suggestions, and let us know how you get on!

• 19. Re: Embedded video control
                                              geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony,

Many thanks for all your efforts I really do apprecaite your time with this query. Am a bit puzzled though as in my incarnation when you click anywhere on the 'animation' video it plays. Ideally what I want is for nothing to happen and only happen when you click the Figure 1 or Figure 2 button. This is happening in Preview even after 'Saving as'. As I haven't done an InDesign project before am not sure what constitutes a very large project. This project has 9 pages each with a short small video which. The animation page does also have a short video as well. Incidently the other videos do the same thing but as they are not in an object state it doesnt matter if the user clicks the video or mouses over to get the player visible. Because the animation video are an object state if the user clicks on the video and also clicks on say Figure 1 button you get two audios playing. Its quite weird and frustrating too. The only thing I can think off is that InDesign somehow retains some bit of hidden code during the development stage. Is it possible to send you, in a secure way, a link to my server so you can see the finished production? Best regards, Geoff

• 20. Re: Embedded video control
                                                tonyharmer Level 3

Hi Geoff

I have an answer for you. Your current multi-state object (MSO) contains the two videos. These would be activated by any click from the user. To prevent that, put an object that will not respond to a click at the top of the MSO - such as an image. Your buttons beneath will then work exactly as you wish, simply bringing their respective objects to the top of the stack.

Here are the steps you need to do to amend your job as it stands.

1. Select the MSO, and in the Object States Panel, go to the context-menu at the top right of the panel and select the option "Release All States to Objects".
                                                2. Add an image (at the same size as the videos) to the top of the stack
                                                3. Recreate the MSO by selecting all three items, as you have done before

MSO.jpg

Just check the buttons, but they should have updated anyway without requiring any further work from you.

Happy Days! Thanks for your patience.

• 21. Re: Embedded video control
                                                  geoffreyjoe Level 1

Hi Tony,

Brilliant!!! what an excellent innovative solution.

Thank you too for your patience

Geoff

• 22. Re: Embedded video control
                                                    tonyharmer Level 3

You're welcome.