3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 7:10 PM by John Hawkinson

Customize install of InDesign CS5.5

Designforce Level 1

Greeings,

I am looking for any help regarding customizing the installed features of InDesign CS5.5.

Basically what I want to do is remove certian functionality and options such as:

From new Document, remove option for Web page and under the Windows menu items such as Interactie, etc.

Reason I am asking is that we want to keep certian folks focused on their assigned tasks and not having the options available which takes them off task would be very helpful and keep us on schedule.

Basically want to keep the Print functions and remove all items that do not pertain to producing Print materials.

Any help and or advice will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Customize install of InDesign CS5.5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

AFAIK, what you want to do cannot be done…at least not through conventional means.

You could experiment with different workspaces but that hides, not removes functions and clicking on show all menu items will reveal them.

What you really need to do is hire better people.

Bob

• 2. Re: Customize install of InDesign CS5.5
            Designforce Level 1

Thanks for the response. All my efforts have led me to the same conclusions.

• 3. Re: Customize install of InDesign CS5.5
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Basically what I want to do is remove certian functionality and options such as:

From new Document, remove option for Web page and under the Windows menu items such as Interactie, etc.

Reason I am asking is that we want to keep certian folks focused on their assigned tasks and not having the options available which takes them off task would be very helpful and keep us on schedule.

Actually, this is entirely doable, at least with respect to the menus. The scripting interface allows you to add and remove arbitrary menu commands.

However I'm not particularly interested in helping you with this task, because I find the idea of trying to control people in this way to be abhorrent and inconsistent with my philosophies. Perhaps you can find someone in the Scripting forum who is less particular, or willing to take your money to do this. (But it's really not hard.)

Removing the Web intent from the New Document is not so easy, however.

I'm not aware of a straightforward way to do it, but you could probably do it with a Plug-In (thinks scores of billable hours of programmer time). You could also remove New Document entirely and replace it with a script that mimics the dialog but omits the print options (an hour or two of time). Or depend wholly on templates.

But I find all this morally repugnant, so good luck, but I think you should not do this.