10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 8:04 PM by Jim_Simon

Blur Effects

Chep60

I am trying to create the classic short depth of field focus blur for stop motion.

I asume it is a combination of a some sort of matte, gausian blur and extra copied layer ? ... I can do it in Photoshop, but not in Prem Pro cs5

Can any one help with this.

• 1. Re: Blur Effects
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you starting with Still Images for your Stop Motion?

If so, then Photoshop might be the best place to start, regarding a shallow DOF.

Let us know a bit more, good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Blur Effects
            Chep60 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks.

Yes they are single stills, but hundreds of them...

Going into Photoshop and doing each one is not an option, as I'd like to be doing many more like this.

Surely there is a way to apply a gradient mask, and apply a blur to the entire sequence, just as in Photoshop with a single picture.

Regards

Chep60

• 3. Re: Blur Effects
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Maybe this will give you some ideas.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/2d_depth_of_field/

• 4. Re: Blur Effects
                Chep60 Level 1

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that link, yes that is what I am looking to do in Prem Pro.

I am trying to see if it works as for AE, but it just doesn't seem to work the same way, Prem Pro has Blur and ramp, but I can't seem to crack it yet..

I would have thought this to be one of the more basic functions Prem Pro could do, but finding info on doing it today is proving more difficult than I thought.

A lot of the videos you see like what I am after have been shot using the tilt shift lens to start with ... maybe thats why they use the lens ?

I'm sure though it's very easy once you find the right combination and how to apply it correctly.

I do have AE and have only done a few comps in that a few years ago .. it's one hard program to use ... and I'm trying not to have to use it for this.

Regards

Chep60

• 5. Re: Blur Effects
                  Level 4

======

A lot of the videos you see like what I am after have been shot using the tilt shift lens to start with ... maybe thats why they use the lens ?

======

yes.. for still work and motion picture cameras too...

• 6. Re: Blur Effects
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you do decide to use After Effects for this, then don't hesitate to come over to the After Effects forum. After Effects is definitely the more appropriate application for something like this.

• 7. Re: Blur Effects
                      Chep60 Level 1

Hey all ...

158 veiws ... and still no answer to what I would think is a very easy and basic effect to apply.

Does any one out there know how to do this "tilt Shift" shallow depth of field effect in Prem Pro ?

Or is it just not possible in Prem Pro ?

Adobe ... ?

Surely NOT

• 8. Re: Blur Effects
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you could create a Mask for your subject, and use that for a Track Matte Key.

First, you would Duplicate your Still Image, and place that Dupe on Video Track 2, above the original, then add Blur (your choice there) to that Duplicate. Next, place your Track Matte (Mask) above the two Stills, on Video Track 3. Then, apply the Track Matte Keying Effect to the blurred Still, and link that to the Track Matte above.

As Masking is so much easier in PS, I would do the work there, hence my earlier suggestion. This is an ARTICLE that I did on just what you describe, though it was more for a faux 3D effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Blur Effects
                          Chep60 Level 1

Hi All,

I have just managed to do what I have been asking about in Photoshop CS4 Ext .. not Prem pro ..

For those interested I'll try and remember what was done ... I am a subscriber to Lynda.com, and checked out some tutorials by Chad Perkins on video for Photoshop CS4 extended... though he did not actually describe the process I wanted, he hinted on a few very important steps for video in Photoshop.

This is for single images as an image sequence, time lapse etc.

OK, import .. open file, click on your first frame, then check image sequence box, click open. Photoshop then brings it in as video.

Right click on the image file name in layers .. select "convert to smart object" .. very important step .. this will then allow the filter/effect .. or what ever you want to use to be applied to the entire sequence, if you don't then only the one image will have the effect applied to it.

click on gradient tool ( G )

then go to the bottom of the tool menu bar click on the "quick mask " .. make sure you have the 4th gradient option selected along the top menu, though you could use what ever radial, linear  ..... drag your mouse down the area you want in focus .. a red rubylith effect will show up.

You can't drag the tool on the image directly, you'll get a warning that the smart object can't be directly edited .. but buy clicking on the quick mask first you'll be able to drag the gradient tool and get the red mask ... adjust that how you want as many times you need to.

THEN .... click the quick mask tool icon at the bottom of the tool menu again .. this will convert to marching ants ...

Now go to Filter/blur/gausian blur .... set the amount you want and click OK.

That should do it.

One other cool thing I learnt on another tutorial about DoF .. was how to apply two gradients at the one time .. normally you can only apply one at time and if you try to apply a second gradient, the first one is deleted ...

When you go to apply the second gradient, click on the gradient from black to alpha ... not a second black to white gradient

Thanks for all your suggestions guys .. I hope I have helped others with this info.

Regards

Chep60

• 10. Re: Blur Effects
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Does any one out there know how to do this "tilt Shift" shallow depth of field effect in Prem Pro ?

Buy Magic Bullet Looks.  It has that preset.