20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 10:11 AM by Flex harUI

Datagrid and selectedItem

jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

I have select an item using itemClick event of an advanced data grid like:

my_adg.selectedItem = my_adg.dataProvider[event.rowIndex];

If I check later my_adg.selectedIndex I see the index value but if i check a property like:

my_adg.selectedItem.CUSTOMER_ID; 

The result of the debugger of my_adg.selectedItem is null.

Any ideas why? It should have the item object.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
          jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

I have two datagrids and I want to sync the scroll in both datagrids and also the item selected.

Here are my funcitons:

private function select_adg_row(event:ListEvent):void{

var rowIndex:Number = event.rowIndex;

first_dg.selectedIndex = rowIndex;

first_dg.validateNow();

second_dg.selectedItem = second_dg.dataProvider[rowIndex];

second_dg.validateNow();

}

private function dg_scrollHandler(event:ScrollEvent):void

{

if (event.currentTarget.name == "first_dg"){

second_dg.validateNow();

second_dg.verticalScrollPosition = first_dg.verticalScrollPosition;

second_dg.horizontalScrollPosition = first_dg.horizontalScrollPosition;

}

if (event.currentTarget.name == "second_dg"){

first_dg.validateNow()

first_dg.verticalScrollPosition = second_dg.verticalScrollPosition;

first_dg.horizontalScrollPosition = second_dg.horizontalScrollPosition;

}

}

Like I said before, the item is not selected and now the scrolls disappear.

Any body had the same experience before?

Thanks

• 2. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
            Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Might be rowIndex + verticalScrollPosition.

• 3. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
              jfb00 Level 3

What do you mean Alex?

I dont understand.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

I don’t think rowIndex is the position in the datagrid, I think it is the row on the screen.  Actually, I think there is a reference to the itemRenderer in the event, and its data property should be what you want.

• 5. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                  jfb00 Level 3

I use this:

my_adg.selectedItem = event.itemRenderer.data;

The same issue, still null.

Any other property? Maybe I need to do this in different way?

Why the scrollbars doesn't show in the target datagrid after I use the scroll in the source or first datagrid?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                    Zolotoj Level 3

Did you try my_adg.selectedItem.@CUSTOMER_ID;

• 7. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                      jfb00 Level 3

I try different ways and still not working. I don't know why selectedItem doesn't accept any values.

Best

• 8. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

Is the object you are assigning actually in the dataProvider?  Or is it a clone or copy?

• 9. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                          jfb00 Level 3

Yes, It is in the dataprovider. This is itemClick event from the datagrid.

In event.itemRenderer.data I can see the data.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

Is it in the destination dataProvider?

Post a simple test case.

• 11. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                              jfb00 Level 3

Alex,

Doing my test case i found that the issue is doing a sort on the datagrid. If I don't perform the sort it works fine.

Why is the sort affecting the array?

Here is my sort funciton:

second_dg.dataProvider = acSample;

sortADG(second_dg, "Fname");

private function sortADG(adg:AdvancedDataGrid, field:String):void{

var sort:Sort = new Sort();

sort.fields = [new SortField(field)];

sort.fields[0].numeric = false;

adg.dataProvider.sort = sort;

adg.dataProvider.refresh();

}

Thanks

• 12. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

Don’t know for sure.  I’d have to see a test case.  I do know that a sort changes the way we try to find an object in the dataProvider, and setting selectedItem is therefore going to go down a different code path.

• 13. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                                  jfb00 Level 3

Also, when i jump from one tab to the other, the scroll bar disappear ot it is cut off. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Here is my test sample:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"

layout="vertical"

verticalAlign="middle"

backgroundColor="white"

initialize="getData()">

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

import mx.collections.Sort;

import mx.collections.SortField;

import mx.controls.AdvancedDataGrid;

import mx.controls.Alert;

import mx.events.ListEvent;

import mx.events.ScrollEvent;

import mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent;

import mx.rpc.events.ResultEvent;

[Bindable] private var acSample:ArrayCollection = new ArrayCollection([

{Fname: "Kranthi", Lname:"Kata", dob:"21/10/1972", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Vasanth", Lname:"Lola", dob:"12/01/1980", Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Vasanth", Lname:"Lola", dob:"12/01/1980", Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Sample1", Lname:"Lola", dob:"12/01/1982", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Basanth", Lname:"Viola",dob:"5/01/1980",  Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Basanth", Lname:"Chuck",dob:"5/01/1980",  Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Sample2", Lname:"Viola",dob:"2/06/1985",  Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Manoj",   Lname:"Pat",  dob:"16/09/1978", Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "John M",  Lname:"Mela", dob:"15/01/1974", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Kranthi", Lname:"Kata", dob:"21/10/1972", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Sample1", Lname:"Lola", dob:"12/01/1982", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Basanth", Lname:"Viola",dob:"5/01/1980",  Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Basanth", Lname:"Chuck",dob:"5/01/1980",  Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Sample2", Lname:"Viola",dob:"2/06/1985",  Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "Manoj",   Lname:"Pat",  dob:"16/09/1978", Amount_1:5000,  Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

{Fname: "John M",  Lname:"Mela", dob:"15/01/1974", Amount_1:10000, Amount_2:0, Amount_3:0, Rate_1:23, Rate_2:43, Rate_3:0},

]);

private function getData():void{

first_dg.dataProvider = acSample;

first_dg.validateNow();

sortADG(first_dg, "Fname");

second_dg.dataProvider = acSample;

second_dg.validateNow();

sortADG(second_dg, "Fname");

}

private function sortADG(adg:AdvancedDataGrid, field:String):void{

var sort:Sort = new Sort();

sort.fields = [new SortField(field)];

sort.fields[0].numeric = false;

adg.dataProvider.sort = sort;

adg.dataProvider.refresh();

}

private function select_adg_row(event:ListEvent):void{

var rowIndex:Number = event.rowIndex;

first_dg.selectedIndex = rowIndex;

first_dg.validateNow();

second_dg.selectedIndex = rowIndex;

//second_dg.selectedItem = event.itemRenderer.data; //second_dg.dataProvider[rowIndex];

second_dg.validateNow();

}

private function dg_scrollHandler(event:ScrollEvent):void

{

if (event.currentTarget.name == "first_dg"){

second_dg.validateNow();

second_dg.verticalScrollPosition = first_dg.verticalScrollPosition;

second_dg.horizontalScrollPosition = first_dg.horizontalScrollPosition;

second_dg.validateNow();

}

if (event.currentTarget.name == "second_dg"){

first_dg.validateNow();

first_dg.verticalScrollPosition = second_dg.verticalScrollPosition;

first_dg.horizontalScrollPosition = second_dg.horizontalScrollPosition;

first_dg.validateNow();

}

}

private function editForm(AC:ArrayCollection, DG:AdvancedDataGrid):void{

if (AC.length == 0){

Alert.show("No rows to be edited")}

else if (DG.selectedItem == null){

Alert.show("Not row was selected")

}else{

Alert.show("Select Item: " + DG.selectedItem.Fname)

}

}

]]>

</mx:Script>

<mx:TitleWindow x="0" width="100%" height="40%" layout="absolute" title="Sample ADG" horizontalCenter="0" verticalCenter="0" >

<mx:TabNavigator id="my_tn" x="0" y="0" width="100%" height="100%" creationPolicy="all">

<mx:Canvas label="FIRST" width="100%" height="100%" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off" creationPolicy="all">

<mx:HBox>

<mx:Button label="Edit" click="editForm(acSample, second_dg)" />

</mx:HBox>

<mx:AdvancedDataGrid scroll="dg_scrollHandler(event)" id="first_dg" width="100%" top="30" bottom="10" left="10" right="10" itemClick="select_adg_row(event)"

editable="false" headerWordWrap="true" textAlign="left" horizontalScrollPolicy="auto"

sortableColumns="false" resizableColumns="true">

<mx:columns>

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="First Name" dataField="Fname" textAlign="left"  width="150" />

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="Last Name" dataField="Lname" textAlign="left"  width="150"  />

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="BDay" dataField="dob" textAlign="left"  width="100" />

</mx:columns>

</mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

</mx:Canvas>

<mx:Canvas label="SECOND" width="100%" height="100%" horizontalScrollPolicy="off" verticalScrollPolicy="off" creationPolicy="all">

<mx:AdvancedDataGrid scroll="dg_scrollHandler(event)" id="second_dg" width="100%" top="30" bottom="10" left="10" right="10" itemClick="select_adg_row(event)"

editable="false" headerWordWrap="true" textAlign="left" horizontalScrollPolicy="auto"

sortableColumns="false" resizableColumns="true">

<mx:columns>

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="ID" dataField="ID" width="0" visible="false"  />

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="First Name" dataField="Fname" textAlign="left"  width="150" />

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="Last Name" dataField="Lname" textAlign="left"  width="150" />

<mx:AdvancedDataGridColumn headerText="BDay" dataField="dob" textAlign="left"  width="100" />

</mx:columns>

</mx:AdvancedDataGrid>

</mx:Canvas>

</mx:TabNavigator>

</mx:TitleWindow>

</mx:Application>

• 14. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

I’m not seeing any problem with your test case.  What are the steps to reproduce?

• 15. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                                      jfb00 Level 3

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I forgot to explain.

Please try to replace this code:

second_dg.selectedIndex = rowIndex;

//second_dg.selectedItem = event.itemRenderer.data; //second_dg.dataProvider[rowIndex];

FOR

//second_dg.selectedIndex = rowIndex;

second_dg.selectedItem = event.itemRenderer.data; //second_dg.dataProvider[rowIndex];

At the time of click Edit, it will show message that it was not record selected because selectedIem is null.

If you comment the sort line "sortADG(first_dg, "Fname");" , it works.

Thanks

• 16. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

I am not able to reproduce the problem.

• 17. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                                          jfb00 Level 3

Really, I am using Flash builder 3 and Flez SDK 3.5.

What are you using?

Thanks Alex

• 18. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

I generally assume folks are running the latest version.

It looks like there was a bug in 3.x that is fixed in 4.

• 19. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem
                                              jfb00 Level 3

gggg... I need to move to 4.

Can I use SDK 4.5 or the latest under FBuilder 4?

Thanks!

• 20. Re: Datagrid and selectedItem

I don’t think that is officially supported.