15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2011 11:05 PM by cbgbgb

Audio repetition problems

rmpics

Anyone help with some audio repitition problems? 

I am importing some .mov files taken with a Canon 5D in Premiere Elements 10.  They are all fine when viewed in quicktime on my mac.

When imported into premier elements about half way through each clip the audio suddenly reverts back to the start of the clip.  I have found no way to get the missing audio back (but I know its there from the quicktime viewing).

Is this an import problem?  Any ideas on if I need to change a audio preferences setting?

Many thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Audio repetition problems
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you choose? You should have selected the DSLR setting that precisely matches your camera's video settings. If you've selected the right settings, there should be no red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. Is this the case in your situation?

How did you get the video from the camcorder to your computer? Ideally you should have connected the camera to the computer and used Premiere Elements' Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip, AVCHD and Camera) to download the video and import it into your project.

• 2. Re: Audio repetition problems
            rmpics Level 1

Hi Steve,

Yes imported as DSLR setting to match the camera.  No red line visible until effects added.

Video was imported from folders on the computer - having shot and downloaded the video on location to a laptop and then transfered to main computer back in the office - you think this might be the problem? 

• 3. Re: Audio repetition problems

Yes, but how did the video get onto your computer? Did you just use Finder to move it from the camera?

Most likely that's not a big issue though.

Have you got a good 4 gigs of RAM, an adequately powered computer (an iMac would be better than, say, a Macbook) and OSX Lion?

How fast is your processor? And what are your video specs? High-def video takes considerably more power to edit than 640x480.

• 4. Re: Audio repetition problems
                rmpics Level 1

Downloaded files via compact flash USB card reader.  Then transfered from laptop to external hard drive to Mac pro.

Mac Pro has 16gb ram, OSX 10.6.8

Quad core processor 2.66 gHz with ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card.

Video specs 25fps HD 1080p

Thanks for your help.

• 5. Re: Audio repetition problems

There is absolutely no reason you should be having this issue, considering these specs, rm. The only bottleneck may be your external hard drive -- but I edit from my external to my iMac with no problems. Is your USB plugged into a dedicated port on your CPU or is it sharing a port (ie., plugged into the multiple jack or the side of your keyboard)?

But try shooting some sample footage and using Premiere Elements' Video Importer to download the footage from the camera to see if it makes a difference.

Also try putting the footage and your project file on your Mac's hard drive and working with it and see if still bogs down. If it doesn't, you know it's the external drive that's the problem.

• 6. Re: Audio repetition problems
                    rmpics Level 1

My thoughts also.  Files are in a designated hard drive on the computer specifically for video - and were transfered via a dedicated port.

Really can't understand this and its happened now on two different bits of footage.  Thanks for looking into this Steve.

Anyone else had or having similar issues? I'd be keen to hear about it.  Unfortunately it doesn't bode well for me to continue with Premiere.

• 7. Re: Audio repetition problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE addresses a similar situation on PrPro and a Mac, with looping Audio. I had not heard of the issue with PrE, but perhaps the linked Adobe KB will be helpful?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio repetition problems
                        rmpics Level 1

Thanks Bill.  Will have a look into this - but from a quick look haven't found a solution yet.  Will definitely update if I do find the cause / solution.

• 9. Re: Audio repetition problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Please do update. As that was for PrPro, I have zero idea, if it will apply to PrE. There are some strong similarities between those two programs, but aslo some vast differences. That is why I tried to point out the relationship to PrPro - might be helpful, or might not.

Most of all, good luck, and let us know if it helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Audio repetition problems

Please try the test I recommended. Open a project file on your computer's main hard drive and put some video on your computer's hard drive also.

If this project doesn't have this issue, you'll know where the bottleneck lies.

• 11. Re: Audio repetition problems
                              rmpics Level 1

Hi Steve - have tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the same problem occurs.

• 12. Re: Audio repetition problems

I am completely at a loss!

I can work with version 10 on my iMac -- a fraction of your power -- with no problems. This should not be happening!

• 13. Re: Audio repetition problems
                                  cbgbgb

I see the exact same problem. I have six .mov clips, each under ten minutes. All play fine in Quicktime. Four of them are fine in Premier Elements 10. Two have audio revert back to the beginning at a repeatable location in those clips. This makes no sense to me and I can't think of any workaround other than using some other program to convert .mov into another format.

• 14. Re: Audio repetition problems
                                    cbgbgb Level 1

Here is a silly workaround: use the Pazera Free MOV to AVI Converter to generate an avi of audio only. Deselect the video conversion as it is slow and probably lower resolution than you want. Use the audio from this AVI instead of the audio from the imported mov.

• 15. Re: Audio repetition problems
                                      cbgbgb Level 1

In at least one case, I imported a mov clip into a Premier Elements project and in timeline, I see a second audio clip after the first; the second one is after the video stops. I deleted the first audio and the second was good. I can't say I understand why.