7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 12:15 PM by Peter Spier

Crash on save/export

NewsAdmin

We have recently installed a new editorial system (Newspaper) and started using InDesign 5.5 (7.5.2.318) extensively.  However the editors keep having crashes happen to them when they save or export a document. 

The error message I'm seeing in event log is similar to the one below:

Faulting application indesign.exe, version 7.5.2.318, faulting module text.rpln, version 7.5.0.142, fault address 0x000c9b44.

I am by no means a InDesign expert so I'm kind of grasping at straws.  I think part of the issue is that the files being put into their document are to large (anywhere from 75megs down to 15 megs in size; multiple files being put onto a page), but am not sure. 

Does InDesign create an event log entry every time it crashes (if it does then there's some exageration going on!)?

I've looked high and low for some information on tuning InDesign for better performance, but haven't found anything. 

Are there some generic things I should check?

By the way we are on Windows XP 32bit, 4 gigs of ram, Quad Core

Thanks in advance for your time,

• 1. Re: Crash on save/export
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Suitcase Fusion 3 installed?

Bob

• 2. Re: Crash on save/export
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When you have third party plugins and crashes, the first suspects are generally the plugins. Do you also use a font manager?

Please see Guide to Interpreting InDesign Crash Reports | InDesignSecrets for directions on finding the crash log you need and how to interpret it (or you can post the log on Pastebin.com and put a link to it here, and John will eventually try to read it for you).

• 3. Re: Crash on save/export
              NewsAdmin Level 1

Bob - Suitcase Fusion isn't installed. 

Peter - I agree about the third party plugins, however it's not something we can't do with out (makes the whole editorial process go!).  And we have an older than the hills Adobe Font Manager 4.1. 

I'll take a look at the guide you refer to and see if that can help me out. 

Thanks again for your responses and I'll try and follow up with what I find.

• 4. Re: Crash on save/export

NewsAdmin wrote:

And we have an older than the hills Adobe Font Manager 4.1. 

Do you mean you are attempting to run Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 on Windows XP? My memory is it is NOT compatible with XP and does REALLY BAD things to your system. That could be the problem.

• 5. Re: Crash on save/export

And I understand that the plugin is necessary for the workflow, but to diagnose the problem you should try disabling it and test to see if you can now save without crashing. If the plugin is the probelm, there's nothing anyone here, or at Adobe, can do to fix it. For that you need to contact the plugin vendor (which may be a good idea, anyway).

• 6. Re: Crash on save/export
                    NewsAdmin Level 1

Peter,

Yes we are running Adobe Type Manager Deluxe 4.1 on Windows XP.  Installs just fine on XP and works just fine.  Won't install on Windows 7...period.

In regards to the Plugin...I'm starting to come to the same conclusion.  I've got InDesign in other parts of the building and it does not crash this frequently. 

• 7. Re: Crash on save/export

Did some googling, and it seems my memory is only partly correct. ATM 4.0 is incompatible, but 4.1 can be installed and used as a font manager (it is not required for installing T1 fonts), but uninstalling can damage the registry and render T1 fonts unusable ( there is a patch to fix this).