4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 8:03 AM by davidbeisner2010

HD Sony Camcorder ACVHD file and Win CS5.5 question

pnrjr

I am thinking of upgrading to an HD Camcorder.  I am looking at models from Sony, Canon and Panasonic. One of the models I am looking at is the Sony HDR CV700V.  My questions: #1 Can Premiere Pro 5.5 handle Sony ACVHD files and specifically 1080P/60P files?  I have heard that 1080P/60P is nonstandard ACVHD.  Sony's website says that Sony AVCHD files cannot be imported into computers.  I have searched everywhere and I cannot find the answer.  There is no point in buying this camcorder if I cannot import ACVHD files into CS5.5.  #2 If there are file limitations specific to Sony's 1080p ACVHD is there another camcorder that does not have this problem such as Canon Vixia HG G10 or Panasonic HDC-TM 900. #3 Of the 3 manufacturers, Sony, Canon and Panasonic, does anyone have a recommendation as to which HD Camcorder ACVHD files work best with Win CS5.5? 

• 1. Re: HD Sony Camcorder ACVHD file and Win CS5.5 question
          pnrjr Level 1

sorry for the AVCHD typo.

• 2. Re: HD Sony Camcorder ACVHD file and Win CS5.5 question
            Harm Millaard Level 7

All those cameras work with PR.

Sony's website says that Sony AVCHD files cannot be imported into computers.

Nonsense. A simple file copy is enough to put the material on your hard disk for editing.

• 3. Re: HD Sony Camcorder ACVHD file and Win CS5.5 question
              jasonvp Level 3

pnrjr wrote:

Sony's website says that Sony AVCHD files cannot be imported into computers.  I have searched everywhere and I cannot find the answer.  There is no point in buying this camcorder if I cannot import ACVHD files into CS5.5.

I use PPro on a Mac instead of Windows, but the computing platform is irrelevant for your question.  I'm with Harm: Sony's statement is pure bunk.  I have 2 Sony Handycams that cut to AVCHD, and all I do is remove the SD card from the camera, then pop it into a card reader on my Mac.  Then I copy the entire filesystem over, and voila: I can edit it in PPro.

If the camera you're looking at doesn't cut to SD but instead to its own internal drive, then you'll need to connect the camera itself to the computer via USB.  It should appear to your computer as a removable drive, allowing you to copy the files over.

jas

• 4. Re: HD Sony Camcorder ACVHD file and Win CS5.5 question
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I've got the older version of that Sony camera and it works perfectly in PrPro... just plug it up via USB, copy the whole file system, and import with PrPro's Media Browser. FWIW, no need to copy the whole file system unless you're capturing meta data that you want to save... A simple MTS file will open just fine, but if you want that meta data then you need to copy the whole file system and leave it intact. Adobe's Media Browser will automatically detect the file system in place and show you the clips to import.