18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2008 2:40 AM by Newsgroup_User

Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!

skiplondon Level 1
      Hey Director Podcast Fans!

Come hear about all the new features that will be included in version 11.5 due out shortly!! This reminds me of the substantial upgrade they made in 8.5. In addition, a new version of the Shockwave player will be released... wait to you hear about THESE changes. Adobe has listened to us and our prayers have been answered!

If you are subscribed in Itunes already, just update your podcasts and you will find our new episodes there for your listening pleasure.

For those of you that do now know about our podcasts, please visit http://director.magicgate.com

We also have a search engine for searching through our podcasts. Once again, check out the podcast page for more information.

Enjoy!
        • 1. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
          Wolfgang Herold Level 2
          snip from magicgate.
          icant't believe it, today it's the first of April.
          let's wait until tomorow.

Wolfgang
          ---snip-------

The Director Podcast
          Magicgate Software has been specializing in Adobe Director (previously Macromedia Director) for over 10 years now. Come listen to programming techniques, information about Xtras (Macromedia Director's plugin library) and interviews with industry professionals. A must for any Director developer out there! We encourage you to send us your feedback and topic ideas. You can do this by emailing us at HERE, using our form below or by calling our....
          Director Comment Hotline: 954-762-7962

Links:
          Direct Link to the MP3
          Direct Link to the feed
          Subscribe with iTunes
          This Week's Shownotes

Quick Player:

This Week's Shownotes:
          Director Podcast Episode Thirty Seven Show Notes,
          April 1st, 2008

NOW IS THE TIME TO VOICE YOUR OPINION ON DIRECTOR 11.

CALL 954-762-7962
          (leave a message)

DIRECTOR 11.5 To Be Released!

Finally heard back from India and they let me know of the upcoming release, scheduled for one month from today. It will be worth all of the problems we have been having!

Shockwave Update
          ==============================
          1) The new Shockwave player, which will be released around the same time, will have no ADWARE. It will be a clean, silent install!

2) They have reduced the size of the Shockwave plugin so that it is comparible to that of the Flash player

3) Adobe also announced that they have been working with Microsoft and Apple and Shockwave will call standard on all new OS installs. This includes native support of Shockwave on mobile devices.

Fixes in version 11.5
          ==============================
          1) In addtion to Ageia, they will be re-introducing Havok. We will also have support for Hilgh Level Shader Language

2) There will be a mobile platform developers kit built into Director, including support for the Iphone

3) All the install problems have been fixed so nobody will have problems like we had with version 11

4) Adobe is planning on moving all of its development back here to the US and we will have a strong US based development and troubleshooting team to deal with directly.

5) There are plans to purchase the following crucial Xtras that will included for FREE with Director: OS Control, Buddy API Xtra, INM's Impressario.... this means native support for PDF files!

6) They have completely redid the way Director functions so we will now have multiple undos

7) Integration of all of the CS3 products will be a major feature of this release as well

8) All features of DirectX 9 will be integrated including 3d shaders

9) All bugs fixes for the Mac have been addressed including full backwards compatability for older PPC machines

10) The integrated Paint feature has finally been brought up to today's standards

11) NOW, we will have support for all of modern day OS components using the Flex components backbone

12) Adobe has committed to making Lingo it's "backbone" language and will be integrating it into all products as an optional programming language, for instance, in Flash

13) ActionScript 3 will be supported and integrated as part of the optional programming language native in Director

14) You will be able to digitially sign your projects with complete integration into Air so now we have an install solution

15) There will be full DirectX 10 support

16) We will have native FLV support for inline Flash Video

17) When you export a projector, you now have the option to output a Flash SWF file in addtion to a Shockwave file.

18) You will now be able to wrap your Flex projects in Director and wrap Director in Flex

19) You will be able to import Photshop layers nativly in Director

20) Adobe now has a commitment to make Director the premier development tool for Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 applications

21) Apparently they have found a bug that causes Director 11 to be slow in certain areas. Major improvements have been made to increase the speed of all aspects of the development environment.

22) Adobe will be splitting the product into several different version... we don't have names but it will be an Application Development Package, 3D Development Package and a Production Suite version for all of the above

23) Whole new suite of native transitions

24) Native database support for remote and local MySQl databases, SQL, Oracle and Access DB support

25) Literally THOUSANDS of bugs have been fixed and we will have a complete list of those bug fixes so that we know what we no longer have to create a work-around for.

26) All of our questions and concerns have been addressed. We no longer have to fear for the life expectincy of Director and Adobe's commitment to the product!

27) Anybody who has purchased, up until this point will be eligible for a free upgrade to 12! The overall price of Director will be dropped so that it will be affodable to everyone.

:)

• 2. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
            liveoak
            OK - so Skip is pissed about the install issues ....

We all know D11 is a work in progress, and I doubt that any of us wil be releasing anything created by it for a while. But this is the flip side of all of us demanding a new release ASAP, whether it was ready or not. Hopefully D11.1 (or 11.5) will come out soon and begin to chip away at Skip's wish list.
            • 3. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
              KingDruid
              You can tell this isn't true. It actually kinda sucks that people would play a joke about a program that everybody is already disappointed about. I doubt Adobe will do anything with Director since they failed with this new version and they don't even bother advertising it. That just tells me they themselves know it won't sell.
              • 4. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                Steveorevo
                Will Adobe succeed as a developer's tool company?

Will I be rebuilding my projects in Basica?
                • 5. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                  Level 7
                  The next version of Director should be based on iTunes, and instead of
                  creating new objects, you subscribe to them. And your screens are more like
                  on playlists.

• 6. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out   Soon!
                    Level 7
                    I failed to see the humor in this joke.
                    • 7. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                      Steveorevo Level 1
                      On a side note, Adobe has announced a new developer tool suite that integrates video production, illustration, acrobat reader, with Director!

The new suite consists of Flash, Acrobat, Illustrator, Livecycle, Ultra, Reader, and Encore!

• 8. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                        ISOinteractive
                        Man, this is not very nice.

I have been a long time user of Director and some of this seems to be a little extreme, if not impossible with the short time frame to claim to do these updates.

So I guess I have to say happy April Fools day.

• 10. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out   Soon!
                          Level 7
                          This is obviously an April Fool's joke because almost everything in this
                          letter is exactly what Adobe should have done in D11. Therefore, it
                          can't be true. Actually, it's not that funny. The only positive thing I
                          have to say about it is that Adobe might actually use it to plan what
                          they should have done in the first place!

skiplondon wrote:
                          > Hey Director Podcast Fans!
                          >
                          > Come hear about all the new features that will be included in version 11.5 due
                          > out shortly!! This reminds me of the substantial upgrade they made in 8.5. In
                          > addition, a new version of the Shockwave player will be released... wait to you
                          > hear about THESE changes. Adobe has listened to us and our prayers have been
                          > answered!
                          >
                          > If you are subscribed in Itunes already, just update your podcasts and you
                          > will find our new episodes there for your listening pleasure.
                          >
                          > For those of you that do now know about our podcasts, please visit
                          > http://director.magicgate.com
                          >
                          > We also have a search engine for searching through our podcasts. Once again,
                          > check out the podcast page for more information.
                          >
                          > Enjoy!
                          >
                          • 11. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                            lbartram
                            Skip has provided a nice hit list for Adobe's Director programmers. Go Adobe, go!
                            • 12. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                              Steveorevo Level 1
                              No Adobe Developers actually read this stuff.
                              • 13. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming   Out Soon!
                                Level 7
                                > No Adobe Developers actually read this stuff.

Actually, they do, albeit _very_ occasionally. A couple of them posted a
                                few days ago. You perhaps didn't realise they were part of the dev team,
                                though.
                                With the griping going on, I wouldn't want to make myself known either!
                                Everyone might consider the effect of their phrasing when making
                                inflammatory posts - especially if you /want/ to see the engineering
                                team around here.
                                • 14. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                                  Steveorevo Level 1
                                  Yeesh, hope we haven't scared them away! I for one would want them to hear us. So that... um, ... it could,... 'ya know.... make a difference.

:)
                                  • 15. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming   Out Soon!
                                    Level 7
                                    > Yeesh, hope we haven't scared them away! I for one would want them to hear us. So that... um, ... it could,... 'ya know.... make a difference.

I'm *sure* the general griping, valid as it may be, could be put in such
                                    a way as to not apportion blame to those who have worked incredibly hard
                                    to do the /best/ they could with the available resources. The more you
                                    slag them off, the less likely you are to be taken seriously - it's not
                                    that difficult a point to grasp.
                                    • 16. Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                                      wgb14
                                      ---sorry for the double posting
                                      • 17. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming Out Soon!
                                        wgb14 Level 1
                                        If the whole thing is a joke, magicgate's podcast will be under serious doubt for almost every episode they will air in the future. I don't think the company would want that. But even if there is 1% possibility for this to be true, it will change things rapidly in the market, and I am seriously thinking to go back to industry.
                                        • 18. Re: Director Podcast # 37 Posted - Director 11.5 Coming   Out Soon!
                                          Level 7
                                          wgb14 wrote:
                                          > If the whole thing is a joke, magicgate's podcast will be under serious doubt
                                          > for almost every episode they will air in the future. I don't think the company
                                          > would want that. But even if there is 1% possibility for this to be true, it
                                          > will change things rapidly in the market, and I am seriously thinking to go
                                          > back to industry.
                                          >

There is not even 1/100 of 1% chance. Export as SWF? Yeah right. Didn't
                                          you listen to the song at the end?