3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2011 4:43 PM by Peter Spier

data merge not removing blank lines

cellapps

InDesign 7.0.4  (CS5)

Mac OS 10.7.2

I am merging product data for a simple price list.  Some of the products have images, some do not.  My .csv is formatted to include the image file name and I can create a 20 page, merged document with all of the products.  However, for the products without images, there is a blank image placeholder for records without images.  I want to remove the placeholder and allow the next product to "bump up" and not have so much white space.

Does this make sense?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  I have crawled the forums and seen a lot of discussion around this, but no solution yet.  Thanks.

Chris

Screen Shot 2011-11-16 at 3.43.00 PM.png

• 1. Re: data merge not removing blank lines
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Data merge can only remove a blank line that represents a null field or fileds in a  text frame with other fields in the record, but will not remove the frame.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: data merge not removing blank lines
            cellapps Level 1

Peter,

Thank you.  I was hoping you would respond.  I see your posts all over the forum.  Thanks again.

So, to summarize, there is no way to remove the empty frames in my merged document.  (other than manually)

Is there another way to do this that I may be missing?  Essentially, for the records without an image, I need to remove the white space in the image above (the second record is a good example).

Thanks again,

Chris

• 3. Re: data merge not removing blank lines
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

My guess would be that you need some sort of catalog plugin (there are several, all of which are a lot more sophisticated than ID's built in Data Merge), or perhaps an XML workflow, but both are outside my experience so I can't really steer you. Don't give up, though -- we do have others here with the right type of experience, though it might take a day or so for them to see this.

1 person found this helpful