10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2011 2:08 PM by wutake RSS

1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

wutake Community Member

I am building a new DELL computer and it gives me these options for video cards.

AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 1GB DDR5 [subtract $20.00]
      Dell Recommended
      1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545 [Included in Price]
      AMD Radeon™ HD 6770 [Add $40.00 or $1.00/month1]
      Nvidia® GeForce® GTX560Ti with 1.25GB Memory[Add $190.00 or $6.00/month1]
      Single AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 [Add $240.00 or $7.00/month1]

I'm just wondering if the GT 545 will be sufficient to edit native Canon DSLR files in Premiere Pro.

or should I upgrade to the GTX560Ti?

• 1. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
          Harm Millaard Community Member

You would want the 560 Ti, but you have demonstrated again that Dell steals you blind when deviating from their standard offer.  For the upgrade price you can buy that card on any street corner and keep the 545 for a third monitor.

• 2. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
            wutake Community Member

Thanks for your response. Would I be able to sell the 545 via craigslist/ebay?

Will the 545 not cut it at all? or is the extra $ just worth it for the 560Ti? What are the pros/cons?

• 3. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
              RjL190365 Community Member

I, too, agree with what Harm stated. Dell charges you more - and often much more - than even the full retail price if you want any upgrades whatsoever from them. And given that the GeForce GT 545 GDDR5 is basically a GTX 550 Ti with some of its shader and texture units and cores disabled (144 CUDA cores, 24 shader units and 16 texture units in the GT 545 GDDR5 versus the 192 CUDA cores, 32 shader units and 24 texture units in the GTX 550 Ti), figure on that card costing about $120. That makes the effective cost of that GTX 560 Ti a whopping $310. That's $70 to $90 more than what a comparable reference GTX 560 Ti would cost ($220 to $240) if purchased separately elsewhere.

• 4. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
                wutake Community Member

or I could still purchase the 560Ti off newegg and sell whatever card come with the Dell.

How difficult would it be to sell the any of the graphics card Dell offers for the build?

• 5. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
                  John T Smith MVP

>How difficult would it be to sell

I don't think anyone here can answer that... the market for used parts is, like everything else, subject to supply & demand

I would say do a search for that brand/model at eBay

• 6. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
                    wutake Community Member

I was just seeing how common video cards are sold like that, as I don't keep up with this stuff.

What would be the difference in performance when using CS5/MPE between the GT 545 and GT560Ti?

Editing videos is more of a hobby than anything, is the extra $200 justified if i can still edit native h264 files with the 545?

• 7. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

I assume that you're going for an XPS 8300, eh?

Well, the choice between the GT 545 GDDR5 1GB card and the 1.25GB GTX 560 Ti card depends in large part on which CPU you're going to get in that build. Dell systems are notorious for not allowing any tweaking on either the CPU or RAM at all - no overclocking, no manual memory settings, etc. The XPS 8300 is available with anything from an i5-2320 to an i7-2600 CPU. So, if the CPU that you choose is only an i5-2320, you might as well stick with the GT 545 since the performance improvement from the GTX 560 Ti would have been limited by the CPU. But if it's an i7-2600, get the GTX 560 Ti from some other place like Newegg since the "upgrade" to a 320-bit memory bus and the addition of 64 CUDA cores (making the total core count on the 1.25GB GTX 560 Ti 448 CUDA cores) are not worth the additional $70 to $90 over the "standard" GTX 560 Ti with a 256-bit memory bus and 384 CUDA cores. Heck, if you want to spend the $310 or so Dell effectively charges for that 1.25GB GTX 560 Ti, you might as well go for a GTX 570 with 480 CUDA cores for around that same price.

• 8. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
                        wutake Community Member

Thanks

Yes XPS 8300. I'm stuck with $475 in gift cards.

I didn't know I wouldn't be able to upgrade the RAM. Should I buy a build that has enough RAM where I wont think I need to buy anymore? I was thinking of just adding to it since it is cheaper somewhere else.

I was planning on the i7 processor. I'm also still trying to decide to build new or buy from the outlet. I had a bare i7, 250gb HDD, 8GB RAM, and no video card in the cart for $589. I'm sure its expired now. I wasn't sure yet because if I buy the 560Ti non-OEM, I will also have to upgrade the power supply. I heard the case is pretty small, are there alot of power supplys I can replace the Dell stock one with?

• 9. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545

You got my term "not allowing any tweaking on the RAM" mixed up. It just means that you will not be able to adjust the timings, speed or voltages manually on the RAM. The RAM will run only at JEDEC SPD autoset defaults. You can still add more RAM to your system, if you want to. Be advised that you will not be able to use RAM rated any higher than DDR3-1333 or any XMP-enabled RAM at their full advertised speeds, timings or voltages due to this non-tweakability.

And yes, my choice for an i7-2600 non-K in that build would be a plain GTX 560 1GB or the slightly pricier 1GB Ti version.

• 10. Re: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 545
                            wutake Community Member

Thanks alot, you've helped me narrow down what I need to look for.