13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 7:50 PM by Marteau89

Can't get Started

Evander2

This is getting reallly frustrating.

I initiate a new Project on Premiere Elements 9  and  it comes up to the New Project entry box where it asks me for a project name.  I can't enter any data in the box and my mouse does not allow me to navigate to any other cell.  I have to click on the X to lose the box and then OPEN a new project from FILE where I can enter a project title. When I open the New Project I have the Organizer already populated with files I do not want.

I try to select an album that I've aleady created in Organizer but the drop down list won't stay open to allow me to select the album I created "Perul II".  Why won't the drop down list stay open and why won't the New Project information cell stay open to allow me to enter data.

I'm becoming increasingly fond of the old days with Adobe Premiere Elements 2. It was simple but it worked well.

Keep in mind that this is a brand new PC that is not corrupted with junk. This is a brand new installation of Adobe Premiere Elements 9.

• 1. Re: Can't get Started
          Marteau89

i am equally frustrated with version 10.  all i want to do is edit some DVDs.  the software is defintely not intuitive. the tutorials are hard to understand (many are recorded by some Brit with a strong accent and weak voice).

• 2. Re: Can't get Started
            nealeh Level 5

Evander2 wrote:

Keep in mind that this is a brand new PC that is not corrupted with junk. This is a brand new installation of Adobe Premiere Elements 9.

That is very likely the problem. The trouble with any 'brand new PC' is that the manufacturers will have created the master image of the hard disk many months ago. Consequently the various drivers and applications will be out of date by the time you get the PC.

Take a look at PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips. There is a checklist there of the essential items to update.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Can't get Started
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

And here is the free-part Basic Training tutorial series I did for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

No British accent. Just my Midwestern drawl.

And do take Neale's advice and clear your computer of junk files and do a good defragging.

You also don't say how powerful your processor is, how much RAM you have or what operating system you're using, but each of those elements play a role in your performance and stability also.

• 4. Re: Can't get Started
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a short list of many learning resources for PrE, including Steve's excellent Basic Training Series: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/800455?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Can't get Started
                  Evander2 Level 1

I guess it's particularly frustrating because I consider myself fairly computer savy.  My knuckles haven't been dragging the ground for quite a few years.

I realize that Premiere Elements 2 is a dinosauer, but boy, was it user friendly.  I convinced 5-6 friends to buy it.  

I have a couple of shows I need to get done for the Holidays and I'm about to re-install my older version, get the shows done, and worry about my new version later.

• 6. Re: Can't get Started
                    Evander2 Level 1

Specs on the PC:   i7-2600 3.4GHz

Windows 7 OS

16 GB RAM

Does not need defragging

The hard drive is not cluttered with junk.

And the link provided by Neale doesn't open;  Just says "Oops"

• 7. Re: Can't get Started
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With PrE 4.0, the "old GUI" was replaced with a "steamlined" one. Personally, and as I use PrPro mostly, I am not a fan of the new GUI.

I actually struggled more with PrE 4.0, than any other NLE, after about Pinnacle Studio 4, or 5, which was my first video editor. I felt that much was hidden, and many of the terms that I had become accustomed to in AVID Liquid and then PrPro, had been changed. Luckily, Steve, and others, helped be get a handle on that program.

Adobe has designed PrE to be user-friendly, and my guess would be that if it was one's first NLE program, things would actually be easier, than those of us, who pick it up, after years with other programs, and especially "pro" programs.

PrE is quite powerful, though some operations are done via "big buttons," however for the majority of users - the target audience, I am sure that they appreciate that. I can be sure, as I field a lot of questions on the PrPro Forums, where PrE users migrate up, and come by, looking for those auto, or semi-auto solutions, only to become alarmed, when we tell them that in PrPro, one does almost everything by hand. Same with DVD/BD authoring in PrE. While limited, when the PrE users show up in the Encore Forum, they are amazed that there is zero automation, and that one must do it by hand.

I think that Adobe is doing good things, for the majority of their market. It's old guys, such as me, who struggle, 'cause they are used to GUI's, and manual operations, like found in PrPro.

I have read many of Steve's books, have looked closely at his Basic Training, and Learning Series articles and tutorials, and highly recommend them. Were I starting with PrE, or video-editing in general, his material would be my first stop.

Oh, after I first installed and fired up PrE 4.0, looked at the GUI, and poked around a bit, was to come to this forum, and read every post - there were fewer back then, so it only took me about two days. Lot of good info in the forum. Some is about problems, but much is about "how to," and that was what I was looking for.

Good luck, and once you get the new PrE terms down, learn their location, and get a handle on the GUI, I think that you will love the program.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can't get Started
                        nealeh Level 5

Evander2 wrote:

And the link provided by Neale doesn't open;  Just says "Oops"

Sorry about that - I'm not sure why. Try this link: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Can't get Started
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I did not check the previous one, but this one opens just fine for me, Chrome on XP-Pro SP3.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can't get Started
                            Marteau89 Level 1

Thanks Steve.  I am trying to access the tutorial series, but keep getting referred back to this thread.  Says “discussion is locked”?

• 11. Re: Can't get Started
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you clicking on the blue hyperlink in the post I linked you to?

• 12. Re: Can't get Started
                                Evander2 Level 1

No,  I haven't.  Been too busy today.

Steve B

• 13. Re: Can't get Started
                                  Marteau89 Level 1

The hyperlink in your discussion led me to this:

Feb 22, 2011 7:53 AM

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/2453821#2453821> Premiere Elements Basic Training

This question is Not Answered.

If you'd like an overview of the basics of Premiere Elements -- from creating a project through building a timeline, adding effects and titles and outputting your video -- I've created an 8-part tutorial series for Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

It's a great way to introduce yourself to the interface, as well as to introduce you to our training materials and my Muvipix.com guide books for Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements.

You can watch the series here <http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchphrase=basictrainingpremiere+elements&btn.x=22&btn.y=15> . Hope you'll check them out!

The word “here” stands out much better---I didn’t see it in your 0riginal email—the blue color didn’t stand out.

Will check it out 

Thanks.