7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2011 7:32 AM by npspider

why does my video lag?

npspider

So I have Premiere Elements 4 and upgraded to 10 because 4 had an issue processing mp4 files and I thought 10 would process them fine. I was also using a laptop with 4. I installed 10 onto a desktop which has 2.5 ghz dual core processor and 8 gb RAM. The program ios running slowly and the video processing is lagging, not just on mp4 but also on wmv files as well. This is just in Elements 10. Video on the internet and on media player works well, no problems. WHy is the video lagging in Elements 10?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: why does my video lag?
          nealeh Level 5

We need more information to help - take a look at these two links to the Tips & Tricks forum and post back with the detail requested.

Got a Problem? How to Get Started

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: why does my video lag?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, where are these video files from?

Premiere Elements works great with Flip video and AVCHD camcorder video in a project set up properly to work with these sources.

Not so much with non-standard video, such as video from cell phones and pocket camcorders and video downloaded from the internet or created with programs like FRAPS.

What is the source of your MP4s?

• 3. Re: why does my video lag?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

A Duo-core CPU is likely never going to play MP4's (probably the H.264 CODEC) smoothly. That material requires a lot of CPU power, and an i7 processor will yield the best results.

Now, do your Clips have a red line above them in the Timeline? If so, better playback will result, if you Render the Timeline, turning the red lines green. Just hit Enter/Return.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: why does my video lag?
                npspider Level 1

@nealeh - I clicked on the links but the pages are missing or couldn't be

loaded. I tried on chrome and explorer.

@steve grisetti - The mp4 is from a Sony Bloggie. The mp4 plays well on

real player and windows media player but lags in premiere elements 4 and 10

on my computers.

@bill hunt - like I said above, the mp4 files play fine in other

applications but not in elements.

thanks for you suggestions, all of you. do you have any others?

also, another problem i had with elements 10 is that after finding the

video was lagging, I went back to my laptop and attempted to start the

project over in 4, but when I tried to use any of the video or png files

that I had opened in 10, an error message popped up and read 'unsupported

format or damaged file' this is on files that I have used previously and

had problems with, not until I opened them in elements 10. any ideas?

• 5. Re: why does my video lag?
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

My guess is that that Sony uses an unsupported codec. In fact, that would explain all of your issues, np.

Open the video file in a program like G Spot or Media Info (both free downloads) and see what it shows for your video and audio codecs.

The challenge is that these camcorders were initially designed for shooting quick videos and posting them to YouTube. Nobody expected that people were actually going to do any serious editing with them. So they built them with codecs that make maximum use of limited space -- but can kick a video editing apps butt.

• 6. Re: why does my video lag?
                    nealeh Level 5

npspider wrote:

@nealeh - I clicked on the links but the pages are missing or couldn't be

loaded. I tried on chrome and explorer.

Sorry about that - it seems that the forum software is trashing the drag and drop of discussion titles. These should work:

Got a Problem? How to Get Started

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: why does my video lag?
                      npspider Level 1

Well, I figured out the problem was operator error, not Adobe. Oh, well. I'd rather have the problem be that I just had the wrong setting for the video! Thanks for your help, and thanks to everyone else who offered suggestions!

btw, the avchd setting for 720 plays mp4's fabulously.