10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 9:48 AM by the_wine_snob

AVCHD

babushka 7

Has anyone successfully edited Sony avchd mpeg4 footage using Adobe Premier Elements 10 ?

• 1. Re: AVCHD
          nealeh Level 5

I have with clips from my Sony DSC-HX9V (a Sony Cybershot stills camera with Full HD video recording). I assume, but do not KNOW, that all Sony Cameras use the same HD codec. What are your video settings and, if you are having problems, what PRE Project Setting did you use?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: AVCHD
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not all MP4s are true AVCHD, babushka. AVCHD is a camcorder standard -- but a lot of cheap pocket cams and cell phones shoot MP4s using non-standard codecs.

So, yes, Premiere Elements 10 works beautifully with AVCHD. But not with all MP4s.

• 3. Re: AVCHD
              VDOSurfer Level 3

Let me go one step further than what Steve and Neale have.. Premiere Elements "specializes" is editing AVCHD. It does it better than most software if you have the right machine to do it..

• 4. Re: AVCHD
                babushka 7 Level 1

I have a Sony HDR-XR520E Handycam. I have a Sony computer and have worked with Adobe Premier Elements 8 and had some success. I found though that the quality when on a dvd was not as good as the original footage. Also the dvd could only be played on a computer. Would I be better to go to Adobe Elements 10 ?

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 05:59:56 -0700

To: lins1@windowslive.com

Subject: AVCHD

Re: AVCHD

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

Not all MP4s are true AVCHD, babushka. AVCHD is a camcorder standard -- but a lot of cheap pocket cams and cell phones shoot MP4s using non-standard codecs. So, yes, Premiere Elements 10 works beautifully with AVCHD. But not with all MP4s.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4031673#4031673

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4031673#4031673. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 5. Re: AVCHD
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No.

DVDs are standard definition video, about one-fourth the resolution of AVCHD. So DVD footage is going to look much lower resolution than AVCHD -- especially if look at it full-screen on a computer screen. But when played on a DVD player and played on a TV, it should look very good.

And, if you've used the proper workflow with the appropriate project settings, your DVD should virtually as good as the original. Just not nearly as detailed or clear, of course.

• 6. Re: AVCHD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And one thing to take note of is that many newer DVD and most BD players have up-rezzing chips, that enhance DVD-Videos on HD TV's. Not as good as BD, obviously, but better than the same DVD's looked on older CRT TV's. Some of those chips do amazing jobs.

Hunt

• 7. Re: AVCHD
                      Aniks Level 2

I think, PRE10 has added specially this feature, of sharing AVCHD on disc. You can try that.

• 8. Re: AVCHD
                        babushka 7 Level 1

Thankyou Aniks, yes I think this also, although, I'd love to here from someone who has had some success.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 00:07:49 -0700

To: lins1@windowslive.com

Subject: AVCHD

Re: AVCHD

created by Aniks in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

I think, PRE10 has added specially this feature, of sharing AVCHD on disc. You can try that.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4049571#4049571

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4049571#4049571. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 9. Re: AVCHD
                          Aniks Level 2

well, as you see, forums are usually used to ask about the problems that we face and to resolve them. Seldom i have read about some success stories. Why dont you try and post it.

Happy editing,

Aniks

• 10. Re: AVCHD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Seldom i have read about some success stories.

Such true words!

If one just read the threads in this (or most) forum(s), one would think that all software was horrible - nothing BUT problems!

Now, we are fortunate, in that several contributors DO post good stories, but that is not even close to the norm. I see more such "success stories" in forums, such as Muvipix, which is more of an active video-editing community, and while a lot of troubleshootig goes on there, a lot of the posts are detailed reports on how someone did something, and often with PrE.

With later releases of PrE, and true AVCHD material, the editing results are usually very good. However, let's make sure to remember that if the output is to DVD (Standard Definition, SD, by definition), the resulting resolution will be ~ 1/4 that of the original material - it will NEVER look as good, since it has been down-rezzed to SD, and 3/4 of the resolution has been removed. Also, in the creation of the DVD there is another element - the compression to MPEG-2. One is starting with a heavily compressed source (H.264), and then compressing to MPEG-2 in the Transcoding step. More loss in quality.

To get the highest quality disc from AVCHD material, one would want to author to BD (Blu-ray Disc), and NOT to DVD.

For playability, the best way to assure that the resulting DVD is to use ONLY premium quality blank media, like Verbatim, Taiyo-Yuden, or Falcon Pro media.

There are a lot of considerations to be taken into account.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - PrE got full AVCHD support, before its "big-brother," PrPro did - by about two versions!