11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2011 2:09 PM by JohnMRR

Keep with Next Line is not working

JohnMRR

I'm workingon a booklet with a heading paragraph style that has "Keep with Next 1 line" checked, but many of the headings are staying by themselves at the bottoms of pages.  What am I missing?  I have used InDesign for years and I don't remember having this problem before.

• 1. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Check to make sure there are not empty paragraphs after the headings.

• 2. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
            JohnMRR Level 1

No, there are no empty paragraphs.

• 3. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working

Check to be sure the correct syle is applied, and that there are no overrrides to the Keep Options.

• 4. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                JohnMRR Level 1

Yes, correct style is applied and no overrides.

I may have discovered the problem.  A non-heading paragraph inappropriately had a keep option selected that appears to have been overriding, or conflicting with the keep option for the head.

• 5. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                  phyllisj9 Level 2

Not sure if you're using any split columns, but I saw an article on how Keep options don't work if you have them:

http://indesignsecrets.com/making-split-columns-honor-keep-options.php

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                    JohnMRR Level 1

Phyllis,

That wasn't my problem, butI'm glad to know about it.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working

JohnMRR wrote:

I may have discovered the problem.  A non-heading paragraph inappropriately had a keep option selected that appears to have been overriding, or conflicting with the keep option for the head.

I have some doubts about that. I've never seen a case where keep options on multiple adjacent paragraphs would be anything but cumulative and woudl cause gaps a the bottom of a page. Can you tell us what conflict you think you found?

• 8. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                        JohnMRR Level 1

Peter,

It is a list of committees, all centered.  I am calling the name of the committee the head and it has the following settings:

- Keep with Previous -unchecked

- Keep with Next -set to 1 line

-Keep lines Together -checked  and set to All Lines in Paragraph

The paragraph style for the committee names had the following keep options:

- Keep with Previous -checked

- Keep with Next -set to 1

-Keep Lines Together -checked, set to Start 1, End 2

These are set in the paragraph styles.  There is no + sign (no local overrides)

With these settings the heads remain by themselves at the bottoms of pages.

If I place the cursor in the name line above a head that is stuck at the bottom of a page and change the Keep with Next option from 1 to 0 the head below it will jump to the next page.

• 9. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                          peter minneapolis Level 4

JohnMRR wrote:

Peter,

It is a list of committees, all centered.  I am calling the name of the committee the head and it has the following settings:

- Keep with Previous -unchecked

- Keep with Next -set to 1 line

-Keep lines Together -checked  and set to All Lines in Paragraph

The paragraph style for the committee names had the following keep options:

- Keep with Previous -checked

- Keep with Next -set to 1

-Keep Lines Together -checked, set to Start 1, End 2

These are set in the paragraph styles.  There is no + sign (no local overrides)

With these settings the heads remain by themselves at the bottoms of pages.

If I place the cursor in the name line above a head that is stuck at the bottom of a page and change the Keep with Next option from 1 to 0 the head below it will jump to the next page.

It's a well-known problem with committees - they never do what they're expected to.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 10. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working

How many lines are in each of these committee paragraphs? If I'm reading this correctly, I'm really surprised the whole story isn't overset if there are less than 3 lines in a committee, because you've told indesign that the ONLY place it can break is in the middle of a comittee paragraph of at least 3 lines,  but perhaps ID has decided to violate the keep options instead (you can turn on highlighting for keep options violations in the Composition section of the prefs).

You are gaining nothing by having the heading set to keep with next AND the following paragraph set to keep with previous. Clearly you DON'T want to force a heading to remain with a preceeding committee, so turn off Keep With Next on the committees, but leave keep with previous set to 1. Your orphan heading should jump to the next page. Since you are keeping the committee with the previous line, you can also turn off the Keep With Next on the heading -- the keep with previous on the next paragraph is already doing that job.

In general, if the committee listings are multiple paragraphs, I would use the keep with previous option on those paragraphs, but if you really have only two paragraphs for each group, I'd probably reverse things and set the heading to keep with next and turn off everything except the start/end restrictions for the committee paragraphs.

• 11. Re: Keep with Next Line is not working
                              JohnMRR Level 1

Yes, it was definitely an unhelpful accident to have it set the way I had it. The committees range from 2 to 5 lines, each line a separate paragraph.  They don't need to be that many lines, but that's how the customer set it up and I didn't see a compelling reason to change it.

Anyway, it is working now.  I will file your suggestions for future reference.

Thanks.