16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 9:30 AM by celuloyd

Fonts and AI files look pixelated

kdorris2005

And yes i have it on high Quality view.  I don't know if it is a hardware issue or an adobe issue.  please help.  Basically all fonts and files that i place look pixelated.  they print and PDF fine but it doesn't help much while i'm trying to design the pages.  I'm currently on a 15" Dell Laptop with m880 graphics card and 8GB of memory.  I'm also using CS5.5.

• 1. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not likely, but check the Preferences and make sure that the defintion of High Quality  Display is actually what you expect for HQ...

Also, are the fonts installed? Links up to date?

• 2. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
            kdorris2005 Level 1

all link up to date and fonts installed. 

• 3. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

Assuming the images don't have a typical display enabled at the object level, whcich should not affect the fonts, try a reboot, then maybe trash the prefs. (see Replace Your Preferences)

Did this file EVER look right on this hardware?

• 4. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                kdorris2005 Level 1

nope.  it started on an old file and i created a new file from scratch to see if that would fix it but no it didn't fix the problem. I inherited this machine with my new job.  I've been mac based for 5 years and have had no issues like this before.  when i reboot it starts out fine then it changes as soon as i scroll or zoom in.  I also just update to cs5.5 so i wouldn't think i had time to mess up the preferences.    but i did go ahead and "replace my preferences: anyways and it didn't help.

• 5. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

So what about other files? Do you have any plugins from third parties? What else is running?

Sounds like you  tried using the same images and fonts in a new file, is that right? How about other images and fonts?

• 6. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                    kdorris2005 Level 1

no third party plugins.  Basically the file consists of a logo (ai file) and text and color blocks.  really simple file.  Again i inherited the files.  the logo was created by another graphic designer and given to my company as part of a package. I'm using pretty much standard everything.  i'm even just using arial font.  instead of their personalized font choice of DIN Pro.  just in case that was causing the problem.  

I created a larger (literally a 30"x48" ) file using the same building blocks and got a similar result as the small 8.5"x11" file.

i also ran it on my personal mac and got know problems with it.  that why i think it is a hardware issue.  but i still have no clue and if getting a new machine will fix the problem.

• 7. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

Certainly sounds like hardware What has that machine got for video?

• 8. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                        kdorris2005 Level 1

nvidia 880m (which by the way is an autocad card)

• 9. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

how much memory on the card? How about the OS and how much RAM you have for programs?

• 10. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                            kdorris2005 Level 1

1 gb DDR3

128 bit

Windows 7 professional

8GB Ram

• 11. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

The hardware sounds adequate to me, if not super-spectacular. I'll send you a link, and you can send me the file to look at here (I'm also running Windows 7, but I use an Asus branded Radeon card, same video memory level, and I have twice the system RAM) if you like.

• 12. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

I've been playing with your files, and at first everything was fine, then I suddenly lost the previews, and just as suddenly resotored them shortly after. Took me awhile to find the trigger.

I don't know why it is happening, but here's waht has been causing it here: Horizontal scrolling, but only when I use the side-to-side scroll action on the scroll wheel of my mouse. When you move the page around (at least with Live Screen Drawing set to delayed as I have it) the screen preview drops temporarily to Typical Quality while the page is in motion. Once it stops, it's supposed to return to High Quality, but for some reason it's failing. It seemed to be happening when an image started to leave the window, but curiously I seem to get the same effect if zoomed out and I scroll horizontally with the wheel, while keeping everything in view, but then try to move one of the links around with the selection tool. I was able to reproduce the latter behavior in a new doc for a few minutes using your logo and one of my own images, but now it has stopped in that file. I don't recall ever seeing this before on my system, but it's possible I didn't pay much attention as it's an intermittent problem that is self correcting:

Using the Hand tool or the scroll handles on the sides of the document window restores the preview!

My testing with other files is hardly exhaustive, but it looks to me like the phenomenon is isolated to the links in this file (it didn't happen with my own links in other files). I don't know why. I suspect it may have something to do with the file having been initailly created in CS4 and converted in CS5.5, but I can't swear to it.

Bottom line: I can describe and reproduce the problem consistently with this file, but I can't explain it or fix it. I may do some further testing, if you don't mind, and depending on waht happens I may want to send in a bug report and attach your files. Would that be OK?

New hardware is unlikely to make any difference.

Before I forget, you have a linked .indd in the upper left corner on the background layer that is doing you no good at all and should be deleted. I found it using Find Font...

• 13. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated

I really would like to send this in. I exported .idml and opened that in CS4. The behavior was similar at first, but there was an important difference: once fixed using a scoll button or the hand tool it seemed to stay fixed.

• 14. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                                    celuloyd Level 1

I just wanted to chime in because I'm having this exact same problem. It happens when I use the horizontal scroll wheel on my mouse. If I use the scroll bar, the screen redraws without a problem. This happens on virtually any InDesign file I create or open, whether it's simple text only, or image-heavy. I can scroll all day using the bars and everything is fine, but if I use the mouse, the fonts become pixelated, the images become lo-res, and any effects I've applied (drop shadows, etc.) in InDesign disappear. I'm using CS4 on Windows XP 64-bit with a Logitech M510 5-button mouse.

Any solution yet?

Thanks.

• 15. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                                      kdorris2005 Level 1

well answer no.  fix yes.  make it happen then use your hand tool to move the page.  this for some reason fixes it from happening in that file again.  i hope that make sense.

• 16. Re: Fonts and AI files look pixelated
                                        celuloyd Level 1

It makes sense as a temporary fix, but it doesn't make sense that it happens in the first place.

Thanks.