26 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 2:03 PM by markly86

Anyone building an i7 3930k system?

arcadiabc

Just wanted to know if anyone is building or already has a wordstation with the i7 3930k cpu?

• 1. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

My guess is not yet. Several reasons for that:

• Very few motherboards are available and very, very few have appealing features based on preliminary reports.
          • There are no coolers available yet, due to the changed mounting without a backplate.
          • Disks are extremely expensive today.
          • The waiting for the nVidia 600 will go on for some time.
          • The appearance of PCIe-3.0 raid controllers will take another 6 months.
          • In the meantime, the waiting is for the 3980X with octo cores and the full 20 MB L3 cache, instead of the dumbed down hexa cores.
          • The prices for 8 GB sticks need to come down first and the speed needs to go up.

All these factors will make people wait a bit. At least it does for me.

• 2. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
            arcadiabc Level 1

Yeah I understand. I was just wondering if there were any folks like me stuck with an outdated or underpowered setup ( I am on a 2010 MBP) and in need of a system upgrade. Been waiting for this platform all year. I will be building a rig soon and will make that my working rig for 2012. Once the 3980x and the PCI3 raid controllers hit, i'll just sale the old stuff.

lIke you, if you have something to work with now, I say waiting is the better option.

• 3. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I hope that while waiting, Intel decides to modify the X79 chipset in some tangible ways by re-introducing the originally planned number of SATA 6G ports, SRT support and the PCIe-3.0 support, so there is no need for mobo manufacturers to add all kind of chipsets. I also hope there will be motherboards that will have IEEE-1394 connectors on the mobo, since tape based material is still abundantly available and needs to be captured. None of the currently announced mobo's have IEEE-1394  capability.

• 4. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                Alan Craven Level 4

Two X79 motherboards with IEEE-1394 capability:

Gigabyte GA-X79 UD5  -  probably not actually available due to the flooding in Thailand

ASUS Sabertooth X79  - several UK suppliers have stock.

Some suppliers in the UK have processors available , but no-one appears to have any coolers.

I shall leave it until I return from migration next February - I am in the same position as th OP.  I shall have to do something when I return as the thought of working on all that footage that I hope to bring back on my super-annuated system does not appeal

• 5. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                  NS2HD Level 1

I am currently building a 3930k system arcadiabc, I'm coming of a 1090T system on air and LGA2011 looks like a great opportunity to speed up my workflows significantly!

Said CPU, 32Gb of 1866 binned RAM, 5 x SSung F3's 1Tb, Intel 310 program drive, Intel 510 boot, 1 x SSung F3 2Tb, GTX 590, Generic SATA3 PCI-E (Damn you Intel for nerfing X79!), Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5

Putting it completely underwater (even the southbridge), except for the VRM's on the motherboard as there's no block available yet. Gunning for 25 decibels at full load @ 4Ghz or so.

Luckily I got all the HDDs before the Thailand floods. The only component I am waiting on is the motherboard, it's scheduled to arrive in a couple of days.

New hardware is so exciting ... Almost as exciting as the feeling of publishing the latest render

• 6. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                    RjL190365 Level 4

Looks like you made the wrong choice in GPU. Premiere Pro CS5.52 still does not support SLI at all. The GTX 590 is actually two underclocked GTX 580s linked internally using SLI. Thus, only half of the GTX 590 is utilized at all if you decide to enable GPU accelerated mode. And due to the excessive latencies in the switching, the GTX 590 will actually be as slow as or slower than even a cheapo GT 520 when in MPE GPU mode.

• 7. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                      NS2HD Level 1

Politely, it looks like you made a wrong assumption about what the GPU is being used for.

I can't imagine there would be anyone building a video editing rig who would spend almost $1,000 on a GPU and full cover waterblock to run Mercury. If there are, I'm sure your post will ward them off.

• 8. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                        RjL190365 Level 4

Look at the PPBM5 results list on the PPBM5 site. There is only one system with a GTX 590 on that list - and that system, with a stock-speed i7-920 CPU and 12GB of RAM, took all of 57 seconds to render from the timeline in MPE GPU mode. (Though admittedly, the result is inconclusive because that system also took abnormally long - 341 seconds - to perform the same thing in MPE software-only mode, and also posted significantly slower-than-average results for its CPU class in MPEG-2 DVD encoding performance.)

Still, my assertion that CS5.5x still does not support SLI is correct. And since the GTX 590 is actually two underclocked GTX 580s connected internally via SLI in one processor package, only one of the two GPUs that make up the GTX 590 gets used at all for MPE GPU acceleration. So, you will end up with slower performance in MPE GPU mode than a GTX 580 (and in some cases, a GTX 570 or even a GTX 560 Ti as well). In other words, you spent nearly $1,000 on a GPU that performs just as "slow" as a $200 GPU.

• 9. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                          NS2HD Level 1

Mate, I understand what you're saying. But it's not relevant - You're assuming I bought a GTX 590 to put MPE in GPU mode. That is absolutely not the case. The requirement for a GTX 590 in my workstation is very specific to my content creation and is not in any way related to Premiere Pro or MPE.

If anyone is reading this thread thinking 'Hmm... NS2HD put a GTX 590 in his rig, it must be good for MPE,' then your posts will have done them a service.

The only reason I posted in this thread was because I wanted to answer arcadiabc's question, and share some of my enthusiasm for the LGA 2011 platform with him .

• 10. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

If your other productivity apps require or recommend SLI, then more power to you! That's all I can say. (Though I'd be inclined to say that you should have gotten a Quadro 4000 or higher for your workstation rather than a GTX 590 despite the Quadros' technically inferior hardware specs, especially since the advantages of a GTX 590 show up only in SLI-supported games.)

By the way, all else being equal, single-purpose machines will always outperform machines used to run multiple apps at different times. This is because of the overhead (i.e. background programs and utilities that often eat up a lot of resources) required of a multipurpose machine. It is also the reason why my current main system, an i7-2600K @ 4.5 GHz with 16GB of RAM, a GTX 470 and two raid0 arrays, performed slightly slower than it should have because that PC is also being used as a DVR and an Internet machine.

• 11. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                              JEShort01 Level 4

NS2HD,

Your are indeed gunnin for speed! Why not RAID 0 0 your OS Boot + program drives w/ dual 510's?

Jim

• 12. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                Jim_Simon Level 9
                                • 3980X with octo cores

You sure about that?  I found two sources that say 6 cores.

• 13. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Even the 3960X has eight cores and 20 MB L3 cache, but two cores and 5 MB cache are turned off, according to Anandtech. So it is logical that a new top model will come out.

• 14. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                    NS2HD Level 1

RjL190365, there are certain content creation situations in which one would absolutely not want a Quadro at all. My build is my build. It's for a specific purpose . Of course, if money grew on trees, we'd all have Quad-SLI 590's and a Quadro 6000, all in a gazillion-P system .

Haarm's right, and it's disappointing to hear that apparently, the two deactivated cores aren't even being binned. As I currently understand it they are being fused healthy to keep the part at a 130w Thermal Design Power. Saddening, considering that most of us could make good use of the extra two cores, some of us can't afford to go Xeon to get them, and many of us will breach 130w with our overclock anyway!

Anyone else putting a 39x0 system together?

• 15. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Fair enough on the GPU.

• 16. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 9

So it is logical that a new top model will come out.

It sounds logical but...  Like I said, according to two web sites the forthcoming 3980x will still have only 6 operational cores.  I was wondering if you had found any hard data to the contrary.

• 17. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                          NS2HD Level 1

Mmm I am sceptical of there being a new model with 8 cores anytime soon. (Of course, given I just sunk my hard earned, anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt!) If it's true the cores are disabled for TDP reasons, rather than binning, then it would take more than just stepping revisions to get 8 of them inside the 130w envelope.

I think it's much more likely that 39x0's will continue to get binned out of 8 core Xeon production for a long time to come. Ivy Bridge E at 22nm will likely get the TDP down to 130w with 8 active cores, and then we'll finally get a fully active, unfused part. So I guess those waiting for the 8 core new model will be waiting at least 12 months. Just a theory of course!

• 18. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                            Crist OC/PC Level 2

JIm did you hear about RAM-CACHE  IN ASROCK AND ASUS MB.

That is Crazy fantastic. FORGET ABOUT SSD´s

• 19. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 9

If it's true the cores are disabled for TDP reasons

I don't think that's why.  I read on one site that Intel disables them so they can charge a premium on their Xeon branded SB-E models, which will have all 8 cores active.

• 20. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                NS2HD Level 1

My inner Intel-Monopoly cynic agrees with you Jim - but looking down the list of Xeons, the 8-Core with clocks closest to the 39x0's is the E5-2687W @ 3.1Ghz and pulling 150w, at $1,800. It's not unreasonable to guess that 8-Cores at the ~3.3 of the 39x0's would pull ~160-170w. That is far, far beyond the 130w ceiling.

It's possible we could see a desktop SB-E with 8 cores clocked at about 2.5Ghz and keeping within 130w, at about ~$1,000, because E5-2680 does 8C at 2.7Ghz pulling 130w. for $1,700. I'd venture that is extremely unlikely, as I doubt Intel marketing would countenance the drop in single threaded performance. It wouldn't fit in the desktop line up.

All in all, I reckon those that want 8C need to go Xeon. Those that can't (Like me) shouldn't expect 8C in the medium term on SB-E desktop.

• 21. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                  greggerber

Just  placed an order with newegg.

• Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core
                                                  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory
                                                  • Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
                                                  • ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
                                                  • COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
                                                  • COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R1 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
                                                  • COOLER MASTER RR-ACCY-2011-R1 Intel LGA2011 Retention Bracket for Hyper 212 EVO & Hyper 212 Plus
                                                  • COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition RC-932-KKN3-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Blue LED Fans-1x 230mm front fan, 1x 230mm top fan, 1x 230mm side fan, and 1x 140mm rear fan
                                                  • MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I am considering one of the following storage methods:

• 80GB SSD caching to a 2TB HDD.
                                                  • Raid 0
                                                  • Raid 3

Greg

• 22. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                    RjL190365 Level 4

Greg,

Be aware that RAID 3 requires the purchase of a discrete Areca-branded hardware RAID controller card. This will add anywhere from $400~$500 for a cheapo model based on an older controller to about $1,500 or so for the highest-capacity and highest-performance model that uses a relatively recent chipset and a large cache memory. So, if you don't want to add a discrete RAID controller card, you're stuck with aid0, RAID 1, RAID 10 or RAID 5 (and RAID 5 will be slower than a non-RAID disk configuration if the RAID 5 is run off of a software RAID such as the onboard Intel ICH/PCH controller). But if you want enhanced performance, the hardware RAID card is worth the price. (There are other brands of discrete RAID controller cards, but most do not offer RAID 3 at all.)

• 23. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                      etrain_4u

Hello Greg & other Adobe Premiere folks,

I'm going to build an Intel i7 3930K system as well (specifically for my work is in Lightroom and CS5/Premiere) and I wonder how much we really benefit with the following?

1) 32 GB DRAM vs 16

(Sounds good but is the extra 16 really utilized in normal workflows?)

2) 120 GB SSD caching to 1TB system drive (7200 or 10000 RPM)

(Not sure how good that will really work on the ASUS P9X79 PRO motherboard ... I'm also dissappointed that motherboard only has 2 Sata 6 Gb/s drive ports.) Anybody have this working on a video editing rig?

Planning to use a 3 GB version of the GTX 580 ... have no need of SLI (not supported in CS 5) or Crossfire (not a gamer) ... so the cheaper Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 motherboard with (6) Sata 6 Gb/s drive ports looks appealing. That card has 4 memory slots apposed to the 8 on the P9X79 but not an issue for my use.

Maybe someone has tried a build with the UD3?

I'd like to know if we can just configure the drives this way using all those 6 Sata III ports on the UD3:

System: (2) 120 GB SSDs in RAID 0

Project files: (1) 2 TB 7200 RPM drive

Video: (3) 2 TB 7200 RPM drive in RAID 0 or 5

Thanks,

eTRAINER

• 24. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                        JEShort01 Level 4

eTrainer,

Regarding 1), 16GB should serve the needs you describe just fine. After Effects power users and automators may however benefit from more RAM.

Regarding 2), from benchmarking I've done with SSDs, I can't imagine that SSD caching could possibly benefit PPro, and it may even slow things down. Sustained large file writes just work better with rotating drives.

Now, regarding your drives, sticking with (4) 2TB drives you will likely get better performance with (2) 2x2TB RAID 0 arrays: Projects and media on first, media cache, media cache DB, and render outputs to the second array. As others say repeatedly on this forum, don't even think about RAID 5 off of a motherboard controller (too slow). A 4 drive RAID 10 is the only fast and reliable RAID level that can be considered with drives attached to MB controllers.

Regards,

Jim

• 25. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                          jasonvp Level 3

arcadiabc wrote:

Just wanted to know if anyone is building or already has a wordstation with the i7 3930k cpu?

My guess is this isn't what you intended when you asked this question, but... I just put in an order for a new Gigabyte X79 motherboard and a 3930K CPU.  However, I have no intentions of running Windblows on it; my goal is to build a new Hackintosh and run OS X on it.

I'm going to load it up with 16G of RAM (MoBo supports 64 w/8G DIMMs) and use the nVidia Quadro 4K that I have in my Mac Pro for video.

I don't expect this to go smoothly, but I'm always up for a computer-based challenge.

jas

• 26. Re: Anyone building an i7 3930k system?
                                                            markly86

I am currently begining to build my Photoshop dream machine.  Parts to be delivered by next week.   I7-3930 chip, Asus X979 Delux mobo, Corsair 1000 watt psu, 64 Gig Corsair 6/gbs SSD for Operating System,  2 Corssair 90 Gig 6/Gbs SSD to be in RAID 0, 1TB SG 7200 rpm rpm 6Gbs data drive, 32 gigs of  Corsair Vengence mem., blue ray writer, Thermaltake Level 10 GT case,EVGA GTX 560 GPU, Corsaur H80 liquid cooler.  Total damage abut $2500.00.