30 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2013 5:01 PM by gkeeney47

Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

gullegrynet

Hi

Right im trying out diffrent video editing software and reviewing them. There is an annoying bug or flaw when it comes to importing mpeg2 files. The audio track becomes delayed about 1 sek after a while, its synced in the beginning and the get out of sync at the end of the clip. I tried the same mpeg2-files on other video editors including: Pinnacle studio, Vegas, Corel Studio, Cyberlink Powerdirector and the audio is perfectly synced all the way.

So, obviously its a problem/bug related to Adobe. I remember I had similar problems with Premiere pro and compressed videos, audio tracks dissapearing etc.

Im gonna try the trial for Premiere Pro to see if it has the same problem as elements.

Besides this, I kind of liked the interface and workflow in the program. So its bad that it cant handle a common compressed format such as mpeg2 that all other popular editors out there can.

Kind Regards,

Jonas

• 1. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You may well have found a problem, Jonas. But what was the source of this MPEG?

Is it from a hard drive standard def camcorder, a high-def AVCHD camcorder, a DVD or downloaded from a web site?

Matching the project settings to your footage is vital in Premiere Elements. When your project settings match your footage, you will see no red lines above the clips on your timeline until you add effects to them. Did you see red lines above the clips on your timeline? If so, that may have been an indicator of a project settings mismatch.

• 2. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
            gullegrynet Level 1

The source is from an very old camcorder (vhs-c) captured with an tv-card and recorded in mpeg2. Its PAL 4:3

The project settings match, the only thing you cant change is the 48khz audio. In the orginal its 44,1khz. But i dont think thats the problem.

No red lines.

Audio and video works, its just that it gets out of sync after a while. About a 1-2 sec delay which is very annoying.

This problem doesnt exist with other editors I have tried. So whats up with Adobe?

• 3. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

That's probably not the best way to capture analog video -- and that's certainly contributing to the problem.

Here's the best way to capture VHS, from the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

• 4. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Most capture cards introduce OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, and those are usually OOS issues.

The use of an A-D bridge, like the Grass Valley/Canopus ADVC-110, or 300, will very likely eliminate that OOS issue.

Now, that other NLE programs are not seeing that is odd, as even most simple players will reveal it.

If you have other programs, that do a 100% job, and have much of this material, I would definitely go with one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                  gullegrynet Level 1

Whats wrong with that method? Even if its not the point.

It was about 6 years ago I did  that and the only option I had. But I belive it was CVBS-signal on the tv-card. The tv card was Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert

I could also record in AVI but the files gut huge and had no differ in quality from mpeg2. VHS is quite bad from the start.

The optimal would probably be to be using scart/rgb signal.

I have even seen devices on the market (usb-dongels) that converts and records them in mpeg1 or 2.

And there is also analog to digtal video converters out there, but I dont think i would make a diffrence in quality usting these methods.

• 6. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                    gullegrynet Level 1

Yes, all other video editors i´ve tried so far except premiere elements seems to work. Even cheap ones.

The following works: Pinnacle Studio 15, Vegas Pro 10,

Cybelink Powerdirector, Corel Videostudio Pro x4, AVS video editor.

The problem is that many of these programs are poorly designed or lacks important options or has other annoying issues.

Pinnacle for instance auto detects all scens in any video clip you import which can take very long time. Its nothing wrong with auto detecting its just that I want to choose when i want to do it. And you cant set your own in and out point in the previewer. You cant use arrow keys to jump frames etc.

Any suggestion on some good software to try out? Both pro and consumer types.

• 7. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                      nealeh Level 5

gullegrynet wrote:

Any suggestion on some good software to try out?

I first started with "Magix Rescue Your Videotapes" v1. Like other Magix products it has some powerful features beyond what you might expect. For me the best is that it allows me to insert a split marker at each scene I want and then export each scene, losslessly,as a separate DV-AVI file. Even PRE cannot do that - you have to select each scene with the Work Area Bar and then export - i.e. it can only do one scene at a time.

Also, like other Magix products, it had design and other faults. Most Magix products have a unique style of user interface that I personally dislike. There was also a serious sound out-of-sync problem. I solved that problem and posted it to their forums - my solution worked for others.

USB digital converters get a  bit of a hammering in these forums. For me the Magix USB digital converter worked fine and produced good results.

I note that the current version is v4 at around twice the price of the original v1.

gullegrynet wrote:

Both pro and consumer types.

In addition to the bundled software with Rescue Your Videotapes Magix also have the entry level Video Easy software and the advanced Movie Edit Pro.

Something else you might want to look into is the Magix Audio Cleaning Lab product. For something so cheap (comparatively) it can do amazing things to improve your audio pretty much automatically. Well worth having in your arsenal of tools.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have several Magix programs (mostly for audio, but also an older MovieEdit Pro), and the only complaint that I have had was the total lack of support, and really weak forums. Otherwise, very useful programs.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                          gullegrynet Level 1

I´ve downloaded the trial of Magix Movie edit pro, and its unable to import mpeg2, its missing a codec (I already have mpeg2 codecs installed on my harddrive) and it seems that you have to buy it from them. Stupid and retarded.

This software goes str8 to the garbage.

Any other good software that doesnt require you to buy extra codecs? MagiX also has a pro version (videopro x) does this one include codecs?

I have already tried a bunch of sofware and they all had something annoying, so where good at one thing and bad at another and the other way around. Some of the programs had annoying issues like when resizing clips it didnt snap to to play marker or it moved when you wanted to resize a clip.

• 10. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                            gullegrynet Level 1

An advice to Adobe - Fix the mpeg2 issue so it works like in other programs. A good video editor should be versatile and be able handle all kinds of video types - compressed as uncompressed.

And if cheap programs can do this better I see no reason why people would get a software with more bugs to a higher price.

• 11. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                              gullegrynet Level 1

Bill Hunt wrote:

Most capture cards introduce OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, and those are usually OOS issues.

The use of an A-D bridge, like the Grass Valley/Canopus ADVC-110, or 300, will very likely eliminate that OOS issue.

Now, that other NLE programs are not seeing that is odd, as even most simple players will reveal it.

If you have other programs, that do a 100% job, and have much of this material, I would definitely go with one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

There is no Out of sync issues when I play it in media player like windows media player, vlc, there is no OOS issues in other video editors, only in Adobe.

Its clear: the problem is related to Adobe. Not to the file or capture method.

Just wanted to clearify.

• 12. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

If you'd like to contact Adobe, please click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this page. We're all just civilians here.

• 13. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                  nealeh Level 5

gullegrynet wrote:

I´ve downloaded the trial of Magix Movie edit pro, and its unable to import mpeg2, its missing a codec

That's not so surprising with trial software as the vendors have to pay royalties. You should contact Magix to answer your question about videopro x.

Have you analysed your file with MediaInfo or GSpot? There may be something strange about it. MPEG2 is working fine for me.

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                    gullegrynet Level 1

nealeh wrote:

gullegrynet wrote:

I´ve downloaded the trial of Magix Movie edit pro, and its unable to import mpeg2, its missing a codec

That's not so surprising with trial software as the vendors have to pay royalties. You should contact Magix to answer your question about videopro x.

Have you analysed your file with MediaInfo or GSpot? There may be something strange about it. MPEG2 is working fine for me.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale

Or, I just download the trial of videopro x and see if it works.

I do think its suprising and greedy to let the user pay for the codecs and not include everything.

A trial is usally fully-functional version for 30 days or so.

• 15. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                      gullegrynet Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

If you'd like to contact Adobe, please click the Contact Adobe button at the bottom of this page. We're all just civilians here.

Done!

• 16. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                        gullegrynet Level 1

Any other suggestions on good video editors (not MagiX and the others:

Pinnacle studio, Vegas, Corel Studio, Cyberlink Powerdirector, AVS video editors)  that handles mpeg2. It should be able to set in and out points (I) (o) keys, be able to use arrow keys to jumps frames and have many key commands for spliting clips etc. (less mouse clicking). Be fast and have good interface.

Thanks in advance

• 17. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, with licensed modules, like CODEC's, and plug-ins, it is often just an "activation" issue. Rather than for the NLE company, whether CyberLink, Magix, Adobe, et al, to just give the fee to the licensing agent (say MPEG-LA) for every copy of the program, whether trial, or full-price, they limit the trial versions, and then with their full-paid version, the user will activate that module, and this normally happens transparently. When the module gets activated, the licensing organization gets notice, and then back-charges the NLE software company.

This sort of thing was carried to the extreme with the Pinnacle Studio programs, where "samples" of every conceivable module was included in the program. However, those were just previews, and could not be used, until the user contacted Pinnacle, and then bought an unlock code for each module (often sold in packages). The program cost around US $ 100, but to unlock all modules, it would cost about US $ 500 additional. As there was nothing but unlock keys, the user had to guard those well - no discs, or media. Also, Pinnacle did a fair job of keeping records of users' keys, though some did get lost over time. Also, keys did not always work version to version, so an upgrade could render key purchases useless.

With the DD 5.1 SS Minnetonka Audio SurCode plug-in for PrPro, things are slightly different. Adobe includes a limited version of that encoder plug-in - the user gets three trials of it. To activate the plug-in, beyond those three uses, the user must buy the key from Minnetonka, and it's now about US $ 300. Most of that cost goes to Dolby Labs, and in this case, Minnetonka just sort of is the "banker," sending the $ to Dolby, when they SELL that plug-in key.

Different companies handle "trials" differently. Some, like the Minnetonka SurCode, give limited, unencumbered uses. Some limit by time, and give unencumbered use, during that time. Some use a watermark, or similar, until the user buys it, and then the watermarks are uncoupled. Some just limit the features in the trial, and those limitations are lifted, when one buys. There are pluses and minuses to each scheme. However, each is designed to let a user try something, and no royalties are paid, until they buy it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                            gullegrynet Level 1

Update: Just tried Adobe Premiere pro and it has the exact same audio sync problem as Elements.

• 19. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

Maybe it's not a bug then. Maybe it's as we said, the video you've captured some issues because it wasn't captured with a true DV bridge.

• 20. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

This is exactly what I used to encounter with PrPro, and material captured through a card - OOS.

When I later went with the Canopus ADVC-300, I had zero issues with OOS.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                  gullegrynet Level 1

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Maybe it's not a bug then. Maybe it's as we said, the video you've captured some issues because it wasn't captured with a true DV bridge.

Why does it work with almost all other editors then?

Maybe elements and premiere use the same engine. Or the same audio encoders/drivers.

• 22. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                    Mark Bosky

I found a workaround solution that suits my problem:

I was having the exact same issues as described: audio not syncing with captured footage (mpeg-2) from a USB capture card (Hauppauge 950Q) in Premiere Pro, but working flawlessly in other applications.

The problem occurs when WinTV automatically converts the .ts (unusable format in Premiere) to a usable .mpg. Both files work fine in outside applications, but in PP: the audio is not synced w/video for .mpg and .ts is an unsupported file format. 

Workaround solution: Rename .ts extension to .mts. Footage imports and plays, and the audio is synced flawlessly.  Don't bother converting the .ts to .mpg. 

in WinTV v7: Settings>Advanced Options>uncheck "Auto Convert MPEG-2 Recordings to .mpg"

Must be a flaw with how file containers are handled and a bug with mpeg-2 playback in PP.

• 23. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                      AlanThom123

Jonas,

Have you heard back from Adobe?  I am having the same problem you described, where a mpeg-2 file created by importing old VHS video using a capture card does not play correctly with Premiere Elements 10.  In my case I was using a AverMedia card, but the symptoms are exactly as you describe.  My mpeg-2 file contains about 3 hours of video, and as it plays the audio and video get out of sync. 

This does not happen using Nero, Windows Media Player or RealPlayer, and I even tried FinalCut Pro on my son's Mac.  Plays perfectly with all of those.  But with Adobe Premiere I have this audio sync problem.

Note that the same thing happens when I capture to an AVI file.  The file is much bigger (of course), and Premiere lets the audio sync drift as the file plays.  Other players play it correctly.

Mark's post does not help me since I'm not using WinTv and have no .ts files anywhere around. 

Please post any response you received from Adobe.  If you haven't gotten a solution from them I'll report it too.

Alan

• 24. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

As we've said earlier on this thread, these symptoms are typical of video captured with a capture card and/or as a MPEG.

Have a look at my earlier post for suggestions for using a DV bridge, a FireWire-attached device that captures any video input as DV-AVIs, the universal language of PC-based video.

If you're truly looking for a solution, a DV bridge, like the Canopus AVDC, is the solution.

• 25. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                          AlanThom123 Level 1

Steve,

Thanks, I saw that earlier post but have several problems with the DV bridge approach:

1.       The device I used for the DV bridge did not have s-video input.  Since my old video is S-VHS I get better color using the s-video input, which the capture cards accept.  Can you suggest a DV bridge that takes s-video?

2.       The AVI files produced from the DV bridge cannot be played by either of my video streaming devices (WD Live  TV and a new Sony blue-ray player), the documentation claims they play AVI media, but I get an error message when I try to play them.  MPEG files work fine in both players,

3.       The AVI files still have video/audio sync problems when played with Adobe Premiere.  Not as pronounced as with the MPEG versions, but still there,

4.       Other video editors (e.g. Nero), don’t have a problem with the MPEG files – only Premiere.

I appreciate your suggestion, and would be interested in your comments to the above.

Thanks,

Alan

• 26. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)

If you want to edit your video in a program like Premiere Elements, you should use a DV bridge to capture your video. Otherwise, you'll have issues.

• 27. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                              nealeh Level 5

AlanThom123 wrote:

Can you suggest a DV bridge that takes s-video?

The Canopus ADVC-300 takes S-Video input.

71WLRe0N7mL._AA1500_[1].jpg

Cheers,
                                                              --
                                                              Neale

• 28. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                                AlanThom123 Level 1

Hmmm, that Canopus ADVC-300 sounds like a great little unit.  I’ve tried USB dongles, several capture cards and a Sony TRV480 camcorder, each with its own problems.  Maybe it’s time to up the ante and get a more professioinal unit. 

Thanks Steve and Neale for your pointers.

• 29. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                                  nealeh Level 5

The ADVC-300 is great (it's what I use). Pricey but it makes conversion so simple - and does it with consistently high quality. Canopus also have the 55 and 110 models that also do S-Video.

Cheers,
                                                                  --
                                                                  Neale

• 30. Re: Adobe premiere elements 10 audio sync bug (mpeg2)
                                                                    gkeeney47

Thank you Mark, this absolutely fixed my (very frustrating) problem with importing .ts files from my video capture card (via WinTV) into Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

You have saved me many hours of tearing my hair out.

-GK