14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 10:19 AM by LSHess

how to relink missing links that have no extensions

LSHess Level 1

I'm working with files received from another company. All the InDesign files have links listed in the Links palette with no extensions. The actual link files themselves HAVE extensions (mostly .jpg, some .psd, .ai, .pdf, etc.). All the links show up as missing, and when I try to relink them I have to do them all individually, even though all the necessary links are in the same folder (just WITH extensions). I've tried "Relink to Folder" and "Relink File Extension," but because there isn't an extension to begin with, it's just not working. It's really time-consuming to relink them one at a time, since there are about 40 InDesign files that average about 40 links each. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is emminently scriptable. There are a whole bunch of different scripts people have written to auto-relink files that have moved location. There are so many I can't keep track (google!). I don't know that any of them explicitly support this case, but it should not be tough to modify one of them to do so.

Try a google search for "indesign scripting relink" and check the answers, and if you cannot find one that meets your needs directly, post about it in the scripting forum.

• 2. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
            macinbytes Level 4

If you are on a Mac you can grab renamer4mac (v3 is free if you can dig it up) to zoink those pesky helpful file extensions.

Download Renamer for Mac - Batch rename files quickly ...

And zoink off the extension of files assuming you uncheck the "Protect file extensions" box at the bottom if using v2. You'd have to do that 2-3 times, each for .ai .psd and again if you have .jpeg.

Still a ton faster than doing it by hand.

I'm sure windows has something to that effect too but I'm not a Windows guy for more than a couple hours a week tops.

• 3. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Tell the people supplying the files to add the extensions on their end and make sure the links are correct and up to date before they package. Do the files they supplied actually match the file types listed (hopefully ID is able to list a file type) in the link info for each one?

I cannot think of a way to hide file extensions in ID if they are really part of the filename. To be honest, what this sounds like is that you are working with some longtime Mac users with bad habits who never used file extensions in the old days (and may not still) and these are possibly very old files used as links. It's disturbing that you have received a folder of links that has file extensions, as it implies that either someone renamed the files in the folder, or they sent you a completely different set of files, and you really have no way of knowing so you have no way of knowing if the links are correct after you spend your time "fixing" them on your end.

• 4. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions

Macinbytes,

we cross posted. Are you actually suggesting that the file extensions be removed? That stikes me as a HORRIBLE idea. Of course, I'm a Windows user, and we need file extensions in order to associate files with the correct applications for editing. I don't know enough about modern Mac file systems to know if there is still a resource fork, but I was under the impression that there is not, so it seems to me as if you would open up similar problems on Mac.

On windows you can choose not to DISPLAY the file extensions in Explorer and the various file operation dialogs, but that does not keep them from showing in the Links panel, and does not remove them from the file.

• 5. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions

John,

How do you script relinking to a file with an unknown file type? Suppose the links panel shows "image1" and you have the choice of "image1.psd" which has a transparent background, and "image1.jpg" which cannot?

• 6. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                    LSHess Level 1

Thanks Peter, but I can't go back to the people supplying the files, unfortunately. I think this is an anomaly of some sort... perhaps some sort of bug produced when files are packaged with a Data Asset Management system or something.

• 7. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

How do you script relinking to a file with an unknown file type? Suppose the links panel shows "image1" and you have the choice of "image1.psd" which has a transparent background, and "image1.jpg" which cannot?

"Any way you want, how do you do it as a human?"

I was assuming that the file basenames were unique so this wasn't a problem.

If it is, you could have the script punt those cases and let a human go back and do them. Or the script could be given a defined ordering ("always pick psd over jpg"). Or it could pick randomly. Or it could prompt the user in a dialog box.

Possibilities are endless. If you were crazy you could even have the script take InDesign's proxy image and compare it to the images associated with the choices and determine which was the best match. Now that would be hard (ooh, I see billable hours!). But still doable.

• 8. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions

LSHess wrote:

Thanks Peter, but I can't go back to the people supplying the files, unfortunately. I think this is an anomaly of some sort... perhaps some sort of bug produced when files are packaged with a Data Asset Management system or something.

I think you definitely need to make the other people aware that there is a problem (if for no other reason than to make sure it doesn't happen again), and your boss, too, if that's not you. I suspect the extra time you need to spend was not factored into the projected cost.

• 9. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                          LSHess Level 1

I only have one choice for what file to relink to, since the links are supplied. The file name matches perfectly with what is displayed in the Links panel, all except for the extension. For example, "CBZ70.howtoshootbw.beach1" is displayed in the Links panel, and I want to link to "CBZ70.howtoshootbw.beach1.jpg".

• 10. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                            tonyharmer Level 3

ooh - periods inside the filename probably aren't helping here, either. I think Peter's most recent suggestion re: time/costs is worth paying attention to.

• 11. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                              Tom Usrey Level 3

Just a thought (not a solution). Is it possible that the files are "missing" because they have extra periods in the file names? If you relink them without fixing this, is it possible they could just show up as missing again sometime in the future?

Edit -- Tony beat me to it; I just can't type as fast as I used to.

• 12. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                                LSHess Level 1

Yes, I know  extra periods in the filename is a big no-no. This is another unfortunate aspect of the project. It is the naming convention used for hundreds of links. I have software for batch file renaming, but for this project, I really want to avoid changing the filenames. This is the first of 12 similar projects, all with the same problem, so my hope is to find a solution that will help both now and in the future.

All involved in the project are aware of the problem, and in order to save the budget we're trying to research all options for correcting the files.

John, you seemed to think this is scriptable. I googled and tried a script that seemed to solve a similar issue, but it didn't work out. My coworker is going to see if he can modify the script to adapt to our needs, but in the meantime I think I'll post in the scripting forum. Any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks everyone!

• 13. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Yup, it's definitely scriptable. Which script did you end up selecting to try to use/modify?

[post your answer in your scripting thread, I think.]

Really the part I'm trying to avoid is wading through the myriad of scripts and picking one.

Sounds like you've done that, so fixing it to handle this case should be comparatively easy,

at least from my somewhat-unusual viewpoint.

• 14. Re: how to relink missing links that have no extensions
                                    LSHess Level 1

I posted my answer in the thread in the scripting forum.