5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 4:45 AM by Colin Flashman

Combining Records in Data Merge

Penter69

Hello,

Does anybody know how to make this work in inDesign CS5?

Have a list (CSV) of purchasing record:

excel_example.png

And want to make the Label according to the Name:

label_example.gif

I searched around but found no clue... Thanks so much for any help!!

• 1. Re: Combining Records in Data Merge
          Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

The database is a one to many relationship. Datamerge supports one to one database relationships. With the database presented as per the sample, the OP would end up with two labels for Tom, one with shirt x 2, and another with trousers x 1.

If the database had "item1" and "item2" then this could be done.

e.g.

orderid__name__item1__qty1__item2__qty2

1__tom__shirt__2__trousers__2

2__doug__glasses__1__(nothing)__(nothing)

• 2. Re: Combining Records in Data Merge
            Penter69 Level 1

Thanks very much for the reply cdflash.

Unfortunately the CSV can't be modified in our case.

Do you know any workaround / plugin that can do the job?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Combining Records in Data Merge

can you tell me more about what you want to do? e.g. how big is the database in terms of fields and records? is this a one-off or is this database constantly referred to? is this label acting as a cart-note for a purchase?

given that the CSV can't be modified, there's not a lot which can be done using "off of the shelf" indesign. with plug-ins, maybe, but you will have to part with money and i personally don't have any plug-ins installed for variable data publishing.

put simply, indesign's data merge places text and pictures where it's told to - it doesn't know what it is, whether or not it is a duplicate, a dollar value, and address... it just plonks data where it's told to.

the key to making data merge much better is making the database work harder, and that means learning to use excel formulii to make "smarter data". however, if the data can't be modified, i can't really provide a solution which doesn't involve post-processing (merging the document to a new indesign file and then tinkering with the result).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Combining Records in Data Merge
                Penter69 Level 1

Thanks!

It is not one off, we want to use it in our online shop system. We send out 30 orders everyday.

I know that there are ways to do it in MS words but I prefer InDesign in Mac. Hopefully there are some plugin that can do the job....

• 5. Re: Combining Records in Data Merge

data merge probably is NOT the way to go then. it wasn't intended to be used as a query generator. i.e. it wasn't designed to do results which look like:

name (one-one relationship)

address details (one-one relationship)

purchase details (one-one relationship)

such as what might appear on a phone bill, amazon invoice, gas bill etc.

sure, the template was made in indesign, but something much more powerful (and expensive) is the engine behind the variable data.

however, many Management Info Systems (MIS)  allow invoices to be generated which use PDF templates  in the background.