7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 1:16 PM by kglad

*EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink

cpytrw

I have been handed a clients project that goes live tomorrow from the boss who just fired the guy who was working on it. I AM NOT A FLASH EXPERT! If you can walk me through step by step how to do this, I would be more than grateful.

Thank You.

--------------------------------------------------

I have a Flash (AS3) intro homepage, the index page is already written and setup. A Mask and fill approach was used to create the animated effect in which the text gradually appears. In order to do the fill, the text 'Home' 'About' 'Works' 'Contacts' are all broken apart text (i.e. (H)(O)(M)(E)) Here's what I need to do and would not even know where to start. How do I convert each of the words which are made up of broken text, into navagation buttons as hyperlinks to the other documents in the page (i.e. convert (H)(O)(M)(E) into HOME which you can click on and be taken to index.htm)

The only notes I found from the guy on this was: 'Need to convert broken text words into symbols.' and 'Make hyperlinks out of text converted via mask and fill.' I have no idea if that means anything, or is what needs to be done, if it is I have no idea how.

Anything, please???

• 1. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you would select the text you want to use as a link (and that may be more or less tricky requiring you to click on certain layers and possibly distributing objects to different layers), right click, click convert to symbol and select movieclip.  if the text is timeline tweened, it will be even more tricky unless you create a new keyframe at the end of the tween that contains untweened text and convert that.

• 2. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink
            cpytrw Level 1

Thank you, I tried this on the letters for home, I clicked each letter individually, and combining them with shirt between clicks, all 4 were highlighted. Right clicked, converted to symbol, changed it to movie clip, now it brought up the property box on the top right corner of the window. No what do I do to tell it to allow it to be clicked on and become a hyperlink and specify the address? Again, tonight is my first time EVER even opening Flash. I use Dreamweaver daily, but I had this handed to me a few hours ago to bring back completed tomorrow 8am for the client to take live, I have been playing trial and error non-stop since I posted the original message. Any more help or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink

in the properites panel assign it an instance name (eg, home_mc).  then open the actions a panel and add:

home_mc.buttonMode=true;

home_mc.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,homeF);

function homeF(e:Event):void{

navigateToURL(new URLRequest("http://www.adobe.com"));  // <- change this url address

}

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink
                cpytrw Level 1

I get to the point of naming the instance home_bp, when I click actions, I get a pop-up, any ideas:

In ActionScript 3.0, code cannot be placed directly on objects. Please select a frame or use the code snippets panel to apply code to the current selection on stage.

If I click code snippets with the new symbol secected, it opens the panel, I select Actions > Click to goto webpage, it brings up a code windows with pretty uch what you listed :

home_mc.buttonMode=true;

home_mc.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK,homeF);

function homeF(e:Event):void{

navigateToURL(new URLRequest("http://www.adobe.com"));  // <- change this url address

}

I leave the default url as is (adobe) that they have, but when I test movie or test scene, it runs, but now home is gone. All the other words show up, nothing from home, so I know I grouped it together right and converted it to a symbol, I'm lost... Anything you can think of?

• 5. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink

click the keyframe that contains your untweened object.  that should be the same frame where you assign the objects instance name.  now, paste that code.

• 6. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink
                    cpytrw Level 1

Thanks for the quick replies, when this is all over, remind me to paypal over your cut.

This will sound absolutly baffeling to you, but I have absolutly no idea what a keyframe is or where to click to do what you just told me to do...

The projects already late, the clients already furious but I'm learning so lets do this...

I assigned the object name in the top right property window, i see nothing about keyfram or properties, where do I click to insert code?

• 7. Re: *EMERGENCY* Convert Broken Text into Single Hyperlink

do you see the timeline?  if not, click window/timeline.

the timeline that you see when your viewing your home_mc properties in the properties panel has frames.  some of those are keyframes.  the first frame where home_mc exists must be a keyframe.  that's probably the one you want to click (unless home_mc is part of a timeline tween).  but try it and see.