13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 10:15 AM by marian.ene

How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?

urasifkhan

How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?

it will be highly appreciated if anyone please help me out in below Rendering i have understood all the things except PIXEL PITCH i dont know how to set that up to 10.8mm Please help i am using after effects cs5 for rendering. Requirements : Display:LED, Pixel Pitch:10.8mm, Canvas: 1152x438, Composition: 1280x1024, Format: Quicktime H.264: 30mb/s:30fps Thanks

• 1. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Pixel Pitch (or dot pitch) is irrelevant in the video prodution world. It relates to the space between pixels on displays or digital output devices like printers.  But video pixels don't have any space between them.  There's no way to define it in After Effects because it doesn't exist!  The display you present your final material on will have dot pitch, but nothing about your work in After Effects will change or effect that.

The rest of your stats are a little hard to follow also.  If you post more details about what you're actually doing we can make more concrete suggestions.

• 2. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
            urasifkhan Level 1

Well i really appreciate for you answers thanks for that.

Well i got from my client are as follows.

Display Unit: 7 units

Display Type: LED

Pixel Pitch: 12mm

Pixel Dimension for individual banner: 126x378 Square pixel

Total Canvas: 882 x 378 Square pixel

Composition: 1280x1024 Square pixels

Format: Quicktime H.264 30mb/s:30fps

Its one Quicktime Movie with multiple banners that will run on multiple screens.

Now the composition size of the movie will 1280x1024 and the Canvas size will be 882x378 which will be fit with 7 banners 126x378. Now i have understood all the things for format as well even i have tested it on my machine all are perfect except this PIXEL PITCH 12mm , 10.8 even i have not seen this anywhere. Becuase when you talk about pixel pitch you are talking about LED LCD or whatever.

Can you please recheck and give me some confidence so i can do the final compilation of the movie.

Thanks in advance

• 3. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
              marian.ene Level 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

http://www.ehow.com/about_6376368_lcd-pixel-pitch_.html

as Andrew said, Pixel Pitch is a tech spec for any monitor, there's nothing you can do about it.

I love that the client gave you complete specs of the display they're going to use, usually I have to struggle to find even the format I have to output to

• 4. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are no dimensions to a pixel, but there are dimensions to a pixel display. Here are two examples:

http://www.hottek.net/samples/1ppi.jpg

http://www.hottek.net/samples/9999ppi.jpg

The pixel pitch info is accurate for each image. Feel free to download them and check them in Photoshop. Just for fun, drop both in a word document or other publishing app. That's the only place PPI info is used to effect the size of an image. These images are in pixels per inch not mm, but as you can see, the web (a pixel pased system) displays both at exactly the same size because there are no inches, nor millimeters in video. FYI, these images show up on my laptop as about 1.25 inches long, on my iPad at about 1 inch long, and on my iPhone at about 1/2 inch long. Each device is displaying every pixel.

If your project is the right pixel dimensions then the video will display correctly. There's not even any way to add a pixel pitch tag to video. It's not in the format. You also can't add PPI or PPMM info to a Gif. There's no way in the format to add that information.

• 5. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                  marian.ene Level 2

No Rick, Pixel Pitch refers to the physical dimensions of a pixel for a given display (in OP's case, 10.8mm, for our displays it's somewhere between 0.2 and 1).

But yes, DPI or PPI only makes sense when printing something, and it's not used in video systems. Either way, it's something that none of us should bother with, it's just filler info.

• 6. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?

I mis spoke using the term pixel pitch instead of PPI, but you are right - there's no way to include pixel pitch info in an image or video file.

• 7. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                      urasifkhan Level 1

Thanks alot all of you, i really appreciate your response and your expert opinion helping me to learn more.

But now i am having another problem which are as follows.

Client Specification

Display Number: 1 Unit

Display Type: LED

Pixel Pitch: 12mm

Pixel Dimension for individual Banner: 2266x240 Square PIxels

Format: MPEG 4 Video Basic 30mb/s: 30fps

(Content is contained in one canvas swept across 360 degrees. It can be a normal content repeated several times or one single content swept across the whole 360 Degrees.)

Problem

Now when i render in MPEG 4 it give me error of ("Setting mismatch", Warning: Output file wil be resized from 2266x240(1.00 PAR) to 720x240(1.00 PAR) to meet the format constraints)

And unfortunately my client wants that in same size and format.

I have done enough RND on that in last 8 hours but failed to get that rendered. Can anyone come up with EXPERTS OPINION how can i render with client specification. I would be really thankfull to you all. After working on this project i am guess i need some serious learning

Thanks in Advance

• 8. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                        urasifkhan Level 1

I just changed the OUTPUT MODULE to H.264, Output to MP4. That is working But the Quality is really bad Even after everything is on BEST SETTINGS.

• 9. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?

MPEG file formats are very specific on frame sizes. The compression scheme is based on blocks of pixels. I'm on an iPan so I can't check the AME (Adobe Media Encoder) but I don't think that's a standard MPEG frame size. Your first post stated a composition size 1280 X 1024. Now you're asking for a 2266 X 240. Are you sure that's the delivered file size.

I'd ask for a sample file from the client to figure out exactly what they are using if they can't give you a better spec.

How are you trying to encode? You should never deliver MPEG files from AE's render Cue. You should either open your compositions in the AME or render them as lossless or nearly lossless files and compress them with either the AME or with another 3rd party app.

• 10. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                            urasifkhan Level 1

Yes sir you are right on 1280x1024 that was my first post.

But now i am working on another video and i am working on AME i hope it work out well.

I will come back to you shortly once i use the AME rendering.

Big Thanks i hope AME works.

• 11. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                              marian.ene Level 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

you're probably using wrong Level setting for your H.264 output (I'm guessing it's set to 3), for your video size might want a 5 or 5.1.

Also, as Rick said, it's best to render in losless format from AE and encode that to H.264 in Media Encoder. This way you won't have to re-render the whole thing if something goes wrong with the compression.

edit: the frame sizes in the Levels table are max frame sizes for the specified level, and your output is not constrained to those exact sizes. The only restriction is frame size must be an even number.

• 12. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                                urasifkhan Level 1

Thank for the Info Marian,

Rick Big Thanks for the info just one thing MPEG4/H.264/MP4 all are same right, Becuase my worry is my client requested for MPEG4 so if i render a movie with H.264 format output to mp4 is it going to be ok right?

Becuase marian wiki links says that its a same (MPEG4/H.264), i just want experts opinion on that.

And that long strip movie problem has been solved with AME Many thanks for that.

• 13. Re: How to set Pixel Pitch to 10.8mm in After Effects CS5?
                                  marian.ene Level 2

Can't tell you 100% that H.264 is the right choice, but given your specs (frame size 2266x240) I'd say H.264 is right. To be 100% sure you need to check with the tech specs of the display system.

I tried setting MPEG4 instead of H.264 in AME as output format, and max frame size I could set with it was 864x480.

Also, H.264 is an extension to the MP4 format, so you'll get a .mp4 file when exporting.

P.S. I wouldn't call myself an expert on this, it'd take an engineer to understand all that's on those Wiki pages.