10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 2:52 PM by tambrm1016

Export "share" settings in APE7

tambrm1016

Hi folks.

I'm having trouble with my video quality when exporting. I film with an HV30, capture using HDV Split, and have my project settings in APE7 as 1440x1080. When I open a file in Vision Lab Studio, it thinks the videos are 720x480. does anyone have an ideo why this is happening?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If your 1440 x 1080 is showing as 720 x 480, then it appears that you have chosen one of the DV Export/Share Presets, so your material has been down-rezzed.

To check, run one of those Exported files through the free MediaInfo, for the full specs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
            tambrm1016 Level 1

Thanks Bill - VLC media player indeed shows that they are exporting as 720x480. I used the help menu to figure out how to create a custom presets using "Microsoft AVI" or "Uncompressed Microsoft AVI". However, when I load the preset and save a video file (Export) I get an audio clip with no video (Black screen) when opened up in VLC, or Windows Media Player.

Any idea what's going on?

Why in the SHARE menu are there only DV AVI settings and no HDV AVI settings alowing me to export 1440x1080 .avi clips?

• 3. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There technically is no such thing as HDV AVI, tam.

To output an HDV compatible file, go to Share/Computer/MPEG using the 1440x1080 30i settings.

• 4. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
                tambrm1016 Level 1

Thanks Steve

I guess I should have provided more information in my post. I should have expected this response. My bad.

Vision Lab Studio will not accept MPEG files or .m2t files. I need to render 1440x1080 .avi files. Are you telling me there is absolutely no way for me to turn the 1440x1080 .m2t files that I have captured from my Cannon HV30 using HVD Split into 1440x1080 .avi files for use in Vision Lab using APE7??

I read in a different forum that with Premiere Pro CS3 the problem with rendering .avi files as 720x480 was solved by switching the settings from Microsoft DV AVI to Microsoft AVI

MPEG is a great format for my final edits, but this is a different problem i'm trying to solve.

Should I be using AVS video converter instead?

• 5. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7

Why are you converting the video?

HDV video works perfectly in a Premiere Elements project set up for HDV.

I'm not confused by how -- and why -- you're getting 720x480 AVIs.

But you do know, if you TRYING to get 720x480 AVIs, that you can set you HV30 to DV Lock and capture your video as standard definition AVIs.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm not understanding your workflow at all or what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe Bill or Neale or someone can help you.

• 6. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
                    tambrm1016 Level 1

OK Steve, here's what I'm trying to do. I want to get really good quality videos for a You tube channel. I use Vision Lab Studio for my VFX.

I want the best quality. I have already shot several projects on my HV30 at HDV settings. The videos I capture with HDV Split (Because APE7 will not split them [HDV] by scenes - Using HDV Split is the solution to this problem after much research) are...

Codec: MPEG 1/2 Video (mpgv)

Resolution: 1440x1080

Frame rate: 59.940059

They are m2t files

Here's the problem. I cannot use these video clips in Vision Lab Studio because it does not support MPEG or m2t files (Actually the same thing, let's not get off track) Vision Lab wants .avi files. When you convert a 1440x1080 video to 720x480 you loose a lot of video quality. This is where the biggest degredation in my quality happens in my work flow when I import the clips into APE7 and use the available presets for .avi files (All "DV AVI"  = a 720x480 video)

I'm fine with using an MPEG setting at 1440x1080 in APE7 for my final edit with sound, however the video quality of the clips I exported with VFX from Vision Lab already suck becaue they were downgraded from 1080 to 720.

I need a way to convert my 1440x1080 m2t files to 1440x1080 .avi files so I can retain video quality when doing VFX in Vision Lab. I'm trying to find a way to do this in APE7. If it's not possible then I need to find another way to do it. In the last hour I have been playing with the trial version of AVS Video Converter on the assumption that if it works I can just convert all the video clips I need for my projects that way, do VFX in Vision Lab, and then do my final edit with sound in APE7.

I hope this all makes sense.

• 7. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
                      nealeh Level 5

Try renaming the extension of your m2t file to .avi. A longshot perhaps, but others have solved file format problems with a changed extension.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
                        nealeh Level 5

tambrm1016 wrote:

In the last hour I have been playing with the trial version of AVS Video Converter on the assumption that if it works

If it doesn't take a look at Aimersoft Video Converter. I used a trial version of it some time ago and was pleased with it enough to buy the Pro version.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7

I just don't think this is going to work, tambrn.

It sounds to me like Vision Lab is a standard def program. If it can't work with hi-def video, then simply trying to force it to eat a hi-def AVI isn't going to make it work. (The program was released in 2008, before many consumers were working in hi-def. FxHome doesn't even sell or support it anymore.)

I think you're going to need to decide if incorporating Vision Lab into your workflow is worth the loss of resolution.

For what it's worth, you're posting to YouTube ultimately -- and YouTube is going to crunch whatever you add anyway to their standards. Why not output the standard def video to YouTube and see how it looks before you decide that it "sucks".

• 10. Re: Export "share" settings in APE7
                            tambrm1016 Level 1

Thanks for the input Steve, I appreciate your time.

I have been uploading video for years to you tube, and experimenting with different ways of fixing this problem the last week. (I started with APE1 and Effects Lab Pro about 4 years ago and have upgraded to APE7 and Vision Lab in the last year. ) I have been comparing the way different versions of a video with VFX look and getting feedback from the Indy Mogul Forum, as well as help with the problem. I have been trying to figure out where the most video loss was occuring in my work flow and it seemed to be when my original 1440x1080 files were down graded by APE7 to 720x480.

Vision Lab will work with setting of 1440x1080, as well as 1920x1080, it just wants .avi -OR- .mov files. I have been experimenting with AVS video converter today and hopefully I can get that to work.

If I figure this out I'll post with the 'Recipie" in the hope it may help others.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to help!