8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 6:24 AM by jefbak

Scaling multiformat sequences

avary.s Level 1

Hi there,

I recently created a video project in Premiere CS5.5 by combining a variety of source footage. Because some footage was 1920 x 1080 and other footage was 720 x 480, I created a sequence that was 850 x 478 (the desired export size for the project), then scaled the footage and edited it within this sequence. Now that the project is complete, I need to scale the edited sequence (850 x 478) back up to be at least 1024 px in width so that it can be viewed full screen on an ipad.

I want to ensure Premiere uses the original source footage (1920 x 1080) to scale to 1024 px in width, rather than scaling the 850 x 478 sequence up to 1024 (it is my understanding that this would reduce quality) so that I do not have to re-edit the original sequence. I attempted to copy the sequence and then change the sequence settings but the options to do this is the under Sequence, sequence settings were greyed out.

Therefore, the only method I found to accomplish this was to nest my edited sequence within a 1024 px width sequence and then under the 'Clip' drop down menu choose: video options, then scale to frame size. However, I don't believe this method uses the source footage to scale to the new size.

Am I using the correct workflow or do other have a better method?

• 1. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
          Colin Brougham Level 6

That's the wrong way to do it; you're scaling down and then scaling back up. That will lead to even more unnecessary quality loss.

Create a new sequence at your desired dimensions. Copy the content from the original sequence and paste into the new one. You'll then have to tweak the scaling of each clip--DO THIS MANUALLY. Do not rely on Scale To Frame Size to do this, because it will also cause multiple scaling operations.

• 2. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
            avary.s Level 1

Thanks for the reply, unforchinatly we have dozens of sequences and many clips within each, so we were hoping to aviod a highly manual process due to time constraints. If this is the only method that does not reduce quality, how woud you suggest we go about creating the project next time if we were starting it again?

thanks so much!

• 3. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
              Colin Brougham Level 6

You can do it the way you suggested, but you have to accept the fact that you're performing two scaling operations; Pr doesn't "collapse" transformations the way that AE does for some operations. It's like photocopying a photo and reducing its size, only to decide later that you need the photocopy bigger--so you do an enlargement from the first photocopy.

Next time start with the biggest frame dimensions you might possibly need. Obviously, you have a complicated situation since you're dealing with both 1080-line assets and 480-line assets, so something has to give. You can always export to smaller sizes--you can export to large sizes from a smaller sequence, too, but the same considerations apply.

You can always try an export from your scaled-up sequence and see if it's satisfactory. You'll have to decide that for yourself

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
                jefbak Level 1

I would compromise with starting with a 720P HD sequence (1280x720) and adding both the 1080 footage and Standard Def footage to that sequence.

Anytime you scale up any footage is will get at very least, softer so you will need to expect that.

You could also create a 640x360 or similar 16x9 aspect ratio sequence that is less than 720x480 and add all the footage there. Then just let iPad will still blow up the image in full screen mode and it should look fine if you use a slightly better quality compression setting (such as 3000kbits for export).

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
                  avary.s Level 1

Perfect thank you!

• 6. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
                    avary.s Level 1

Ok great, thx !

• 7. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I would compromise with starting with a 720P HD sequence (1280x720) and adding both the 1080 footage and Standard Def footage to that sequence.

I don't agree. If you don't need a 1280x720 output, why scale up just to scale down? The iPad screen resolution is 1024x768; assuming you want to maintain the widescreen appearance in that display, you need 1024x576. It doesn't make much sense to scale anything up to 1280x720 just to go back to 1024x576.

• 8. Re: Scaling multiformat sequences
                        jefbak Level 1

I was thinking of the best compromise for what iPad users might do with the content. If some decided to use AirPlay for instance to output to an apple tv then 720 would be preferred. I would go with the most standard format unless there is a very specific iPad screen use (which there may be).

Sent from my iPhone