6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2011 3:09 PM by M Blackburn

Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame

cricketneff Level 1

Can anyone help me to be able to change the top margin of the 2nd column of a 2 column text frame? My first column has a header so the text is different than body. That makes the 2nd column look weird because of the difference in styles. Currently I have created a text wrapped object that I set above the 2nd column to push down the text. Anyone have a real fix?

Thanks.

Janice

• 1. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
          M Blackburn Level 3

You can't set the baseline options of the two columns separately. You don't say what baseline options you are using, perhaps something different would work better for you.

But the fix you describe sounds like you want the body text below the head to align in both columns. In that case, presuming your ID is a version that supports it, what you want is to apply span columns to the head. If working in CS3, I'd be inclined to use single column text frames.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can also put the heading into a single-cell table.

• 3. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
              M Blackburn Level 3

"You can also put the heading into a single-cell table."

I don't understand that advice. What advantage is there in using a table in such a manner? How does a table control the top of the second column? It seems to me that an inline text frame would be better (if it is okay to take the heading out of the text flow in the first place).

• 4. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
                cricketneff Level 1

Using span column worked! Thanks for your help.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

M Blackburn wrote:

"You can also put the heading into a single-cell table."

I don't understand that advice. What advantage is there in using a table in such a manner? How does a table control the top of the second column? It seems to me that an inline text frame would be better (if it is okay to take the heading out of the text flow in the first place).

This is one of Dave Saunders' old tricks (he automated it in his  HeadStraddler script for CS and CS2) but it isn't self-evident and it isn't something I've done in years, so thanks for making me go back and review.

Tables  can extend beyond the edge of the column or frame (an inline frame, if you mean anchored inline, cannot, but maybe you mean a separate threaded frame), so they can be  stretched across a multi-column frame. What I had forgotten is that, in  additon to the table being the only thing in the first paragraph, you  also need to set the text frame options for first baseline to Fixed and  do some fiddling (the script does the calculation and just gets it  right). It seems that as long as the table is the only thing in the  paragraph, and it is the first paragraph in the frame, the baseline for  the line with the table is ignored so it doesn't get pushed down, but  the first lines in the other columns honor the setting. The main advantage is you still have only the single frame on the page so you haven't messed with the dimensions if it's a master text frame.

The technique is, of course, now obsolete in versions that can do span/split columns.

Head Straddler.png

• 6. Re: Change top margin of 2nd Column in text frame
                    M Blackburn Level 3

I remember Saunder's HeadStraddler. I also remember not being particularly impressed by it since it seemed almost as awkward as building things manually.

My argument against using a table is that the table itself has no effect upon the second column. Instead it works by virtue of the fact that the table isn't affected by a fixed line offset. But that also means  the first paragraph in the first column doesn't obey the baseline offset either, thereby necessitating the calculation of a precise amount of Space After in the Table Options, and as far as I can see the only way to define that space after is to eyeball it.

All in all a table works better than an inline text frame, which is subject to the unpredictable bounce of text wrap associated with inline graphics, but if I were working in CS3 I'd suffer with a separate frame for the spanned heading.