23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2011 5:20 AM by pgauba

DVD shows empty after burn is complete

Rookie74429

I just purchased Premiere Elements 10 and created a short edit (3 minutes) to see how the program worked in comparison to others I have used,  I burned an autostart DVD and when it finished I tried to play it. I have tried it in multiple computers as well as dvd players and none will play it. All of the computers are showing the dvd to be empty. I then went back to premiere elements and added a menu and titles and burned the dvd again. Still nothing and the computer is showing it to be empty. Any help would be great.

• 1. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, you can't burn a DVD twice -- so that's suspicious.

What happens if you put the DVD in your computer and use Windows Explorer to browse it? Do you see any data on it?

And can you tell us what you did to burn the disc? Did you use Share/Disc/DVD and did the window show you DVD burner listed as the destination?

Did you see a progress bar as it burned and did you get a green check mark at the end indicating that the burn was successful?

• 2. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some reading... and a different way to burn a DVD

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941?tstart=0

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the slowest possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
              Rookie74429 Level 1

Steve, I guess I worded that wrong. I used a second disc for the second burn. I did have a progress bar and I did get a green check telling me it was complete.  If I look at the disk in the light I can see where it has been burned but the computer doesnt recognize it. 

John, I dont understand why I need to export my project to a seperate folder and use a seperate program to burn it. I have heard of people doing this but I dont understand how that is going to solve my problem. I appreciate the advice but is premiere elements 10 not capeable of burning DVD's directly?

• 4. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete

Of course it's capable of burning a DVD directly, Rookie!

But you've got something really oddball going on. Are you saying that if you browse the disc with Windows Explorer you don't see any files on it?

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you . I've heard of people having problems interfacing with their DVD burners -- but I've never heard of a burner that claims you've burned a disc and yet doesn't do so!

I'd recommend trying John's suggestion. At least it will tell you if the problem is with your DVD burner or with Premiere Elements. And, if it's a problem with the latter, you're probably going to need to contact Adobe Tech Support. This problem is way too complicated for us to solve on this forum.

But do try John's suggestion. Just to find out if it's your burner that's gone wacky.

• 5. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                  Rookie74429 Level 1

Yes if I browse the disc it shows that its empty.  I exported the video to a file and tried burning it from there and its still showing that the burn is complete but it wont play. I guess Ill load the video on another computer tomorrow and try it again. Maybe my dvd burner is bad? or could it be other software issues?

• 6. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                    nealeh Level 5

Rookie74429 wrote:

I burned an autostart DVD

I exported the video to a file

What Share settings were you using in these two actions?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                      nealeh Level 5

Rookie74429 wrote:

I dont understand why I need to export my project to a seperate folder and use a seperate program to burn it. I have heard of people doing this but I dont understand how that is going to solve my problem.

Think of it as a diagnostic step. ImgBurn is very highly rated burning software. It also provides a feature that the PRE burning solution doesn't - namely that you can set your own burn speed.

PRE will burn at the maximum speed of your drive. If your blank disks are of the budget variety they may well end up corrupted and unusable.

I burn all my DVD's to a folder and use ImgBurn set to a x4 write speed.

What brand disks are you using?

Until we can solve your issue, you should probably use a rewriteable disk.

Cheers,

--
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete

And, yes, if you've tried to burn a disc with two different programs and BOTH programs say they've completed the burn but the disc is still empty -- I'd say it's time to try swapping in a new disc burner.

• 9. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

To the OP:

Is there a firmware update from your multi-drive's mfgr.?

If so, you will want to read their instructions for updating the firmware, very carefully. Matter of fact, I'd print it out, and read it again, then keeping it handy, as those exact instructions will be very, very important. Now, download, and install the firmware update (following those instructions to the letter, or the multi-drive can be killed).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                            Rookie74429 Level 1

I cant find any firmware updates for my multi drive. I put the video on an SD card, took it to another computer made sure it would play and everything was fine. I tried to burn it and got the same results. I can burn a music cd fine with either computer but the DVD is giving me problems. Thanks

• 11. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you created a folder and used Imgburn?

• 12. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

One quick question: In you System>Device Manager, how is the OS seeing your multi-drive?

This statement:

I can burn a music cd fine with either computer but the DVD is giving me problems.

triggered something in my memory. When researching another user's problems with their multi-drive, instead of being seen as a multi-drive (CD & DVD), theirs had been set as a CD drive only. In their case, Quicken's Backup to Disc, had changed things at the system level, and then Encore (Adobe's big-brother authoring program), could not find a DVD burner on the system, and the user could ONLY burn CD's from that drive, until the OS was reset.

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 13. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                  Rookie74429 Level 1

It shows it as a cd/dvd rom drive in general but when I click on the details tab for the device description it is showing the value as a CD-ROM Drive.  Is this what you are talking about? Thanks.

• 14. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

It could well be.

Some software can "hook" the multi-drive, at boot up, and will then report to the OS, that it is NOT a multi-drive, but a CD-ROM drive, basically killing the ability to use it for DVD's.

In the mentioned case of Quicken, it invokes the Windows CD burning utility, and that gets set in the OS, and it believes that the drive is only a CD-ROM burner. Not familiar with other programs, and how they may affect things.

Were it my system, I'd first look into MSCONFIG, and see what loads at boot up. I'd check for any program, that might access the multi-drive. If one (or more) is found, I'd keep it from loading, reboot, and then go to Control Panel>System>Device Manager, and remove that multi-drive, then reboot. Then, I would test extensively.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete

Could it be that this drive plays CDs and DVDs but it only BURNS CDs?

• 16. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                        Rookie74429 Level 1

Steve, from the research I've done it is supposed to be a dvd burner as well.

John, I downloaded imgburn from the link you provided, Installed it and tried to burn a disc.  When trying to select a file to burn to disc it shows that all of my files are empty. I can go to my files and all of the content is still there but when trying to access it through imgburn nothing shows up in the files. any ideas?

• 17. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

If Windows Explorer shows the VIDEO_TS folder as empty, then you have some major issues with your system. There should be several IFO, BUP and VOB files in that folder, if you chose Burn to Folder.

I think that your system has major issues, and you may need to step way back, to correct those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                            Rookie74429 Level 1

If I go in and open any of my video folders directly they are all there and play fine. I was tryng to do as John suggested and burn them through Imgburn but when I select the file to be burned it shows them as empty files. I guess I need to crash my pc and start from scratch.

• 19. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have done the Burn to Folder, you should have a VIDEO_TS folder, with IFO, BUP and VOB files. All other folders and files do not matter. If the VIDEO_TS folder is empty, then something is very wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                                Ted Smith Level 3

Sounds like similar problem I had

It was caused by trying to burn 4x BLue Ray disks on my 8x LG burner.

Maybe the pits are then not deep enough for some players to read even though you can see them visuially on the disk like you can.

Adobe doesnt have any option to burn at a slower speed than that of the installed burner.(8x in my case)

So I created a file from my project and used another burner program (that came with the burner) that slows burning down to 4x and it works fine.

In my case I could play the fast copy only on the computer it was made with and on one old player but not an any other.

Many posts here suggest using Sony Architect for burning and PE only for editing.

Odly enough PE makes good DVDs from HD originals on the same Blue Ray burner without a hitch - but not on slow Blue Ray blank disks.

• 21. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                                  Ted Smith Level 3

Also,

If making a DVD, it has to be finalised before it can be seen on a DVD player and some DVD computer players.

Maybe you didnt wait long enough before you removed you disk after it had burnt?

You can test whether you disk has been finalised with ImgBurn free utility. It will say "Complete"

• 22. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

On most of my DVD's, the finalization/writing Lead Out, normally takes about 3 mins. on a DVD-9. If that is not allowed to complete, you are certainly correct, the disc cannot be seen by nearly every player, or multi-drive.

The burning app that I often use, ImgBurn, gives a complete list of all tasks being performed, and notifies of their completetion. Writing Lead Out is the very last, before Verification, which I always do.

Good point,

Hunt

• 23. Re: DVD shows empty after burn is complete
                                                      pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

There might be some rights problem. You can try to run Premiere elements with administrator.

Right click on Premiere elements exe and click on run as administrator and then try to burn DVD disc.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba