Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble Importing MOV files in adobe premiere pro cs3

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just bought a Canon 60D camera and I am using adobe premiere pro cs3 for the first time.

I tried to import MOV file footages made by my Canon 60D, but it says that my files are not supported.

I don't know what to do!

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Welcome to the forum.

Full HD H.264 in a MOV file format from DSLR cameras is beyond the capability of CS3.

I recommend using

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

to convert the video to a lossless or near lossless codec like Avid DNxHD or Apple Photo-JPEG (set to 75% quality).  See if the converted files import and edit properly in CS3.

Get the Avid codecs for free here:

Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.1 Download

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Full HD H.264 in a MOV file format from DSLR cameras is beyond the capability of CS3.

I recommend using

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows

to convert the video to a lossless or near lossless codec like Avid DNxHD or Apple Photo-JPEG (set to 75% quality).  See if the converted files import and edit properly in CS3.

Get the Avid codecs for free here:

Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.1 Download

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or spend a little money on Cineform.

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I just read this response. I am having problems importing .mov files into PrPro cs4. It Says missing codec. I'm working in Windows 7, the file specs are, .mov - Video Codec - mpeg - 1/2 Video (xdv9), Resolution 1280X720, Frame Rate - 59.94. Audio codec - PCM S16 BE (Twos). I have Quicktime 7 and Quicktime Pro, which won't play the files(it says I need addittional something, but doesn't say what). I downloaded VLC which plays them beautifully. What I want and need to do is a little editing and titles, and Burn the project to DVD or Blu Ray. I'm thinking Blu Ray because I really want to keep the quality. I f I can't get the .mov files into Pr Pro or Encore, what is the best format to use specifically. Thanks in advance for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also same problem. I can't import my .MOV file of my iMac for re-editing in Premiere CS 5.5 in my Window. Quicktime 7 installed, window 7. After re-editing I want to prepare BD

gspot file.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Let me tell you how I solved the XDV9 codec trouble on my Windows 7 system. The solution is rather stunning because I am using completely free software. First download the Shark007 codec pack for your system here: http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Setup-and-usage . Please be aware that the codec pack installer comes with a toolbar install option so make sure you de-select this option during the installation process. After installation check the MOV tab on the "Settings Application" program. Make sure "use LAV's splitter" is selected for MOV Playback.

Now comes the crazy part... To convert the XDV9 MOV video clips just download Windows Essentials Movie Maker for Windows 7. At this moment more info about this program can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-live/movie-maker-get-started . Again, make sure to set the right settings during installation otherwise you will be installing a lot of possible unwanted crap like Windows Live Mail, Windows Skydrive etc.

Movie Maker has quite good settings for converting (High Definition or custom settings are supported). Select your clip, or select multiple clips to create an unedited full length clip of all your clips, and then select "create movie". I used the "use recomended settings for this project" settings as it matches the source file resolution and frame rates etc. It is quite some work to convert clips like this but its the only free solution I could find so far.

Good luck!

Rodger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First download the Shark007 codec pack

I strongly advise *not* installing any codec packs.  Ever.  They are a recipe for disaster on a proper editing system.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes you need quicktime pro installed instead of just the free viewer quicktime thing...cause the pro version installs some codecs that the viewer doesnt. your screenshot had no info for codec and stuff on right side of that screenshot, so I'm thinking your computer isnt seeing the codec etc...QT pro is only about $ 30 I think ??? ( been a while since I bought it )...but if you do that you may get what you need... good luck

edit..whoops... i didnt notice the date differences between the posts.. and the disconnect between posts...sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodney,

Regarding the empty boxes in G-Spot, the file header info should tell G-Spot, or MediaInfo (or other similar utility), the necessary CODEC's, whether they are installed on the system. The latter WILL be necessary to play (unless one uses a player WITH the necessary CODEC's), and certainly to edit.

Seeing all the blanks makes me think that there is a problem with the file's header, but as you point out, that was several months ago, so we will likely never know.

Also, I knew that QT Pro allowed one to convert MOV, etc. file formats, but did not realize that it had additional CODEC's. Guess that I have had QT Pro so long, that I just did not notice?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is in reply to my problem., and screen shot of G-spot which I have posted here. Please note that inspite of I am having Quicktime Pro., it was not helping. I simply converted my .MOV video file with Video Convertor, and  I was able to import it in my Premiere. Thank you all for taking time to help me out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is great news!

With many CODEC's, even when properly installed in the system, I have found that the "easy" answer is to convert to a CODEC, that PrPro is comfortable working with. In general terms, there are three operations, regarding CODEC's:

1. CODEC's are used by players to play the footage. This is the most common use, and usually just requires the CODEC to be installed, or included in the player.
  2. CODEC's are used to Export a file, for later use, or playback. This the next most common use.
  3. CODEC's are used to EDIT the footage. This is where things can get rather sticky, as it depends entirely on the NLE (Non Linear Editor) used. Not all can work with all CODEC's. PrPro limits its use of CODEC's to those that are common for footage, designed to be edited. CODEC's, such as DivX/Xvid, and others, are designed as "delivery-only" CODEC's, and usually present problems for most NLE programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a very good point , Bill.... and in summary to my snail like brain which has a tough time with technical things sometimes... I often think of it this way.

codec is a word that comes from " COmpression DECompression "  In other words, even the existence of a 'codec' means you have compressed and are looking to decompress to view it or edit it.

Most codecs that compress a LOT are for viewing only when decompressed ( by a player of some sort ).

Editing programs typically like working with the original material in it's raw state or uncompressed state as much as possible. This gets pretty technical ( with lossless codecs and algorithms etc )...including intermediate codecs....

Sometimes if I use GSpot and it doesnt know whats up ( like can't determine what the codec is ) I will then try MediaInfo instead...and see if THAT little program recognizes whats up. If I still can't figure it out I try to find out where the file ( in this case a mov wrapper ) came from and try to track down the info on it... My feeling is that I'm better off not losing any quality if I can know what's going on exactly.

This doesn't always happen though...as an example I woke up this morning after reading most of the night and before I had 4 cups of coffee I had NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

One example stands out. It is for SD video, and is the MS DV-AVI. It is compressed, though only at about 5%. The MS DV/DVC CODEC is the basis of Premiere's native support for SD material.

Now, many other forms of compression, though a CODEC, might be for display, or for editing. AVCHD is one, though heavily compressed to start. Still, it is one of the backbone HD CODEC's, due to the number of cameras, that shoot it.

CODEC's are interesting things. Though they are the "building blocks" of Audio and Video files, they are constantly in flux, and only general understandings of them can be achieved, except by the people writing them!

Historically, two delivery-only CODEC's, Xvid and DivX used some form of the DivX CODEC. The resultant files were heavily compressed, though looked pretty good at lower Bit-Rates. Recently, however, they have begun using variations of the H.264 CODEC. Those might allow material Encoded with either the newest Xvid, or DivX to be edited, by more NLE's. However, even if they Import, and can be edited, they are STILL highly-compressed, so much of the original data has been lost forever. Still, this change might well affect folk, who have to work with such material. Stuff changes almost every day.

Just some observations,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a similar problem, mentioned here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4797063

I'm opening a project, stored on a separate hard drive, on a different (windows 7) laptop (the other laptop is Vista) and I'm being told that my files (Canon files converted through Steamclip wih the Avid DNxHD codec) cannot be read. They worked happily on the old machine.

Is this the same thing?

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pete,

Do you have the same CODEC's installed on both machines? The CODEC is installed in the OS of each machine, and does not travel with a project, or with the Source Files.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, let premiere support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, To work with AC3 sound files in Premiere CS3, copy the ad2ac3dec.dll file from the Encore CS3 directory into the Premiere directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my files are not supported.

I don't know what to do!

Upgrade to CS5.5, which does support the media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using premiere pro CS6, and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the responses!

Really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Bellune,

Thank you for the tips.

Are there any converters from MPEG streamclip to MOV. files ?

I'm trying to get back that HD 1080 or 720 quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also faced the same problem...

try installing the latest apple quick time player,

99 % the problem vill get solved,the rest vill lie in ur system configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines