7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2011 7:09 AM by antoniocasado

Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow

antoniocasado

Hi people!. I have a strange problem, that I don´t know how to manage. I have problems when export a MOV file with Photojpeg compression and try to edit it. The playback is impossible, as the programs freeze. With another type of MOVs (h264) work perfectly, is only with these type of compression.

This is from two or three weeks ago, and don´t have installed anything new that I remember...

Always have worked fine, so I don´t know what happens...

I have a i7 920 with GTX 260, 12GB RAM.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't use QuiRcktime.

• 2. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? Have you installed the most recent updates? What version of QuickTime?

Your subject line says that playback is slow, but the body of your message says that the program is freezing. Which is it? Please describe exactly what happens and what you are doing. Also, tell us more about the details of the clips and sequences involved.

• 3. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
              antoniocasado Level 1

Hi Todd. I´m using CS 5.0.2, not new updates. Quicktime is the latest version (have updated since the "freezing" but don´t work).

About slow/freezing...is mix of both. For example, I export a Quicktime photojpeg, and it export fine. I can see it fine with VLC, Kmplayer, Quicktime player...etc. But when import it to Premiere, and try to scrub...Premiere "freezes". I think that hang...but not...about a seconds after, the image of the photojpeg appears. I can place it in the timeline, but when try to export the timeline, the export (direct method, not trough Adobe Media Encoder) is very slow only in the part where the photojpeg involved!

Is very strange because I don´t have installed anything new...maybe a Windows update can affect the responsiveness of Premiere with Quicktime files?.

The problem is the same with a new project or a project with more clips, and with cuda enabled or disabled...

In fact, another problem that have discovered recently is that some of the H264 Quicktime files from my HDSLR, the audio repeats in a loop, meanwhile that I can play it fine externally from Premiere. Really strange thing...

• 4. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You didn't answer my question about the version of QuickTime.

Install the most recent update for Premiere Pro and report back.

Also, tell us about your disk setup. Are you using a single disk? What speed(s)?

> The problem is the same with a new project or a project with more clips, and with cuda enabled or disabled...

Are you saying that you have used the "hack" to attempt to enable CUDA processing for your unsupported card?

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
                  antoniocasado Level 1

Sorry!. The Quicktime version is 7.7.1.

I try to update Premiere, but I have now making a very long video and don´t want to make some changes to not "broke" anything more...

My disk setup is simple. Two internal SATA 7200 HDDs, and some USB connected (usually I use the internals but in this project need to work with attached media). But this is not the problem. I don´t have any problem NEVE with playback and edit quicktime Photojpeg and this is really strange, from a short time ago...

Yes, I have the CUDA enabled in my older GTX260 via the hack, but not problem with it. However, I have purchased yesterday a new GTX 570 that is Adobe certified ;-). But I install it when finish the current project, as I don´t want to make these system changes in the middle of this project.

• 6. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If I were in your position, I'd transcode the QuickTime PhotoJPEG movies to a format that wasn't causing me problems and work with that. I'd also install the bug-fix updates to my application.

BTW, when we say that a card is "unsupported", that means that Adobe Technical Support staff (like me) can't help you if you have attempted to enable it for the CUDA features. We can't waste our time troubleshooting untested and explicitly unsupported configurations.

• 7. Re: Quicktime Photojpeg Play very Slow
                      antoniocasado Level 1

Hi again. Well...I crossed fingers and try to install the 5.0.3 update and IT WORKS!. The problem with the slow photojpeg files is gone!. So thanks for your help and advice. In other hand, I understand that you don´t want to support "unsupported configurations", but there is a lot of people that use the "hack". The problem is independent of the "hack". If I left Premiere as the original mode (without cuda), problem was there. Is the 5.0.3 update that solved it, as I tested now!

Fortunally, I have a new powerful card (GTX570) that is supported, but only in CS5.5 from what I read...but I think that will run very good in "hack" mode in CS 5.0.3, as the GTX260 run it perfectly.

Thanks again!