1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 11:51 PM by Mylenium

Two questions for After Effects CS5 Mac

sprout5

Hello,  (new to AE)

I am trying to figure out why my "make movie" export is smaller than the composition I created. My comp settings are 1280 x 720 and my compostion window is at 100%. My output settings are also locked at 1280 x 720. However when I export it and watch it it is a lot smaller in the Quicktme Player player which is 640 x 360. I don't know where 640 x 360 came from. See images.  I am not sure how to figure out what size I should make something in After Effects so it looks the same size when exported. I mainly am using this for web.

The second issue is that when I do a  Full RAM preview for this (6 secs long). It never finishes it. It stops a coupple of second short everytime. I don't have ths probem when I Ram preview it at a lower resolution.

Thanks in advance....

in After Effects.png

in QuickTime.png

• 1. Re: Two questions for After Effects CS5 Mac
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The second issue is that when I do a  Full RAM preview for this (6 secs long). It never finishes it. It stops a coupple of second short everytime. I don't have ths probem when I Ram preview it at a lower resolution.

Yes, that's why it's called RAM preview - you only have so much of it and eventuall you will run out. Read: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424030?tstart=0

I am not sure how to figure out what size I should make something in After Effects so it looks the same size when exported.

Nothing to figure out, you are just pushing the wrong buttons/ using wrong settings. 100% user error. AE by itself does not resize anything unless you tell it to which can happen

a) by setting resolution in the render settings to half (which often happens by using the "Current Settings" option while your comp is zoomed to 50%)

b) likewise, using the crop and stretch in the render settings

c) picking a format/ CoDec that is constrained, i.e. only works with fixed sizes and resolutions

Otherwise everything is left as it is in the comp. I suggest you do some serious reading up on render settings and output modules on the help.

Mylenium