19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 1:22 AM by ralfellis

Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf

rontiara Level 1

I have a 340-page book, broken into about 40 chapters.  The chapters are set as the start of a section, and there are no section changes inside the chapters.  Theoretically, the pages should number consecutively throughout the book -- and they do, in InDesign 5.5.  But when I export to pdf, they get all screwed up. 

For instance, the page numbers in Chapter 6 start correctly at #27, but the following pages are numbered like this:  28, 29, 28, 29, 28, 29, 30.  The last page number should be 35, not 30.

This happens sporadically throughout the book.

I've checked to be sure each chapter has only one section, and that page numbering is set consecutively.  In ID, all the page numbers are in order.  But once they get exported to pdf, they go crazy.

Thanks............

• 1. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
          John Hawkinson Level 5

This is a known bug, try doing a search.

The bad news is that there is not a good fix.

You can export the book documents to IDML, reopen them, save, and remake the book, and that will usually fix it but not always.

You can also export the individual documents to PDF and merge the PDFs together.

Or you could go back to...CS4? Or you could not use books.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
            rontiara Level 1

I did try doing a search, but apparently I wasn't using the correct keywords because I didn't find any posts about this.

Once CS5 is installed, CS4 doesn't work, or such has been my experience.  And if I could get CS4 to work again, the whole document is in CS5 -- which would mean reformatting the whole thing.

Again.

And I want to eventually export to epubs, which is a whole new can of worms because internal hyperlinks don't work in  CS5.5 when you export to epubs.

Quite frankly, the more I use InDesign, the more I wish I'd never started with it.  It seems to be one bug after the other.  I wish I could find an alternative program.

At least I know it's not me.

I'll try some of your suggestions.

Thanks, John.

• 3. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Once CS5 is installed, CS4 doesn't work, or such has been my experience.

No, that's not correct. Can you tell us some more details, like your operating system, and how it "doesn't work"?

In general, as long as you install the versions in chronological order, you can continue to use them all.

I have CS3-CS5.5 running (Mac), and I know some others have CS2 (PC).

And if I could get CS4 to work again, the whole document is in CS5 -- which would mean reformatting the whole thing.

Well, you can export to IDML and open the IDML in CS4. There may be some text reflow, but not killer.

You're right it's not a perfect solution...I'm afraid those are hard to come by.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

rontiara wrote:

Once CS5 is installed, CS4 doesn't work, or such has been my experience.  And if I could get CS4 to work again, the whole document is in CS5 -- which would mean reformatting the whole thing.

By this I think you mean once a file has been saved in CS5 it cannot be opened in CS4, which is not the same thing as CS4 not working. As John says, .idml was designed for this.

I think you may have been unlucky in tripping over a few bugs in your workflow -- bugs are inevitable in any complex piece of software, and ID is very complex -- but a lot of what you've posted about in previous threads I think is more your lack of understanding or experience with how ID works. InDesign, in my experience using, Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, and now ID, is by far the most stable and easiest to use of the group.

If your intent is to export epub, well, that's a moving target at this point and NOBODY has a perfect general purpose solution at the moment. I don't do epub, so I don't know about the problems with internal hyperlinks, but I do know that CS5.5 is a LOT better at exporting epub than CS5 (essentially all of the epub stuff was re-written). That doesn't mean you won't still have to crack open the epub and do some fixing -- as far as I know even Liz Castro, who wrote "the book" on epub still does this.

• 5. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                  rontiara Level 1

John:  I tried opening in CS4 an old backup of the book which I originally created in CS4.  I got a whole series of error messages which I won't even try to list; they were so numerous they were overwhelming.  I got the impression that installing CS5.5 overwrote some CS4 program files.  I could open each indd file individually, but I couldn't open the indb file.

However, going back to CS4 isn't the answer, because I was having so many problems with CS4 I decided my only option was to upgrade.

The problems I was having in CS4 were:

(1)  The master pages didn't resize if I changed the page size of the document.  This problem has not been fixed in CS5, BTW.  I originally created the book in 6x9 format, but realized that would not work for several reasons and needed to switch to 5x8.  I thought it would be easy to just change the master page size and synchronize the book.  It didn't work.  My only option was to create a whole new document in the new page size and copy and paste all 300+ pages into the new document, chapter by chapter (there are something like 40 chapters).

(2)  When I exported to epubs, CS4 would not let me use the TOC I had set up, although I kept resaving it, hoping it would finally take.  Nope.  When I exported, the only TOC option was the default.

(3) CS4 crashed every time I exported to epubs.

I have wondered, too, if my problems are due in whole or in part to my operating system.  I'm running WinXP with SP3.  I have 4GB of RAM.

From what I can determine, I am going to have to create two entirely separate books.  I must create one book for the epub format so I can create a TOC (which, fortunately, does work in CS5.5), and it must be in indb format when I export to epubs or the chapters run together.  Then I have to create another book for the printed version so I can get the page numbering right.  It seems like an awful lot of extra work, and I can't charge my client for all that.

You might want to read my answer to Peter Spier below; my comments will overlap to an extent.

As I told Peter, I appreciate the help of the moderators in this forum; I hope you'll be patient with me as I scramble to learn the program and its glitches.

• 6. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                    rontiara Level 1

Peter:  My reply above to John kind of overlaps this reply, so it might be well for you to read that, too.  You'll find there a whole list of problems I had with CS4; going back is not the answer.

I agree that one problem is that I don't have extensive experience with ID.  But I'm living on an extremely limited income, and I hoped the Creative Suite would help alleviate that.  I has done that; it has also added a great deal of frustration.  I don't have a huge IT budget to draw from.  The original outlay for CS4 was an extreme reach for me, and I didn't really have the funds for an upgrade.   How I would love to spend a few thousand dollars to fly to Pittsburgh or New York and spend a week or so immersed in an Adobe workshop!  Unfortunately, I live on a small town without such resources.  I have watched as many videos as I could find, and I have gone through several step-by-step books.  But you're right:  hands-on experience is necessary, and I'm scrambling to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can.

I would imagine you're right, too, when you say that bugs are inevitable in a complex program.  What I have trouble understanding is why they aren't fixed, especially considering the price of the program.  The problem with internal hyperlinks not working in epubs has been a known issue for some time, and according to one Adobe expert's post, the developers' attitude has been more or less, "Yep, that's a problem, all right."  But it hasn't been fixed.

Not only am I working on a limited budget, but I have made promises to clients I haven't been able to keep.  It's frustrating when clients are screaming, "Where's my book?" and I'm fighting with "known ID issues."  One novel was supposed to have been published in early October.  I was all ready to finalize it when I noticed the page numbering problem.  I feel I have spent far too much time chasing ID program bugs -- and I don't get paid for posting requests for help in the forums.

In reference to the internal hyperlink problem, I have attempted to "crack open the epub and do some fixing."  If that would work, I would have no problem; I know HTML.  But after I "rezipped" the files,  I couldn't read the result in any epub reader. I'd like to know how Ms. Castro puts its back together after cracking it open.  Perhaps it can be done with a Mac; as far as I know, it can't be done on a PC without oXygen, yet another expensive program I can't afford.   (However, after going to her website, I have decided I need to buy her book.  Thanks for that tip!)

I do appreciate your help, and I apologize for getting so impatient.  I hope you and the other moderators will be patient with me.  I'm working hard to learn as fast and as much as I can and sometimes the frustration gets overwhelming.

• 7. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

John:  I tried opening in CS4 an old backup of the book which I originally created in CS4.  I got a whole series of error messages which I won't even try to list; they were so numerous they were overwhelming. 

Throw us a bone and give us at at least one of the errors! Imagine we really want to know and we're sitting on the other side of the computer screen frustrated like crazy that we cannot get a single specific detail right. We're jumping up and down inside your computer monitor throwing off X rays.

I got the impression that installing CS5.5 overwrote some CS4 program files.

That's not supposed to happen, and doesn't happen under normal circumstances. Perhaps something was wrong with your CS4 installation, or is very wrong with your machine both then and now? Too easy an explanation!

(1)  The master pages didn't resize if I changed the page size of the document.  This problem has not been fixed in CS5, BTW.  I originally created the book in 6x9 format, but realized that would not work for several reasons and needed to switch to 5x8.  I thought it would be easy to just change the master page size and synchronize the book.  It didn't work.

Did you read up on Layout Adjustment? It's tricky to use properly but it should be able to save you here.

My only option was to create a whole new document in the new page size and copy and paste all 300+ pages into the new document, chapter by chapter (there are something like 40 chapters).

Why was that your only option? You know about Pages (panel) > Move Pages, right? And if you had 40 chapters, you could benefit from scripting...

Ah well, rough edges do exist. Best of luck sanding them down!

• 8. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                        John Hawkinson Level 5
                        In reference to the internal hyperlink problem, I have attempted to "crack open the epub and do some fixing."  If that would work, I would have no problem; I know HTML.  But after I "rezipped" the files,  I couldn't read the result in any epub reader. I'd like to know how Ms. Castro puts its back together after cracking it open.  Perhaps it can be done with a Mac; as far as I know, it can't be done on a PC without oXygen, yet another expensive program I can't afford.

What's with these wild claims? It certainly can be done, on both a Mac or a PC.

Have you confirmed that simply unzipping the file and re-zipping it with no edits causes a problem? If so, it relates to your Zip software. What are you using? I think most Windows people prefer 7-Zip these days, but there are a plethora of choices, so what are you using?

If you only see problems when you make edits, well, it probably relates to your editing tools. What are you using to edit?

I suspect you would feel a lot more closure if your posts were less open-ended. Maybe try to stick to one, two, three, or seven problems in each thread :).

• 9. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                          Indrajith Panneerselvam

Hi Rontiara

I had a same issue of wrong sequence page numbering while exporting a Book PDF. I checked the possibilities at my level - seems to be a bug in InDesign CS5.5 and raised in forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/4042370#4042370.

I had tried out on deleting the page numbering frames on that particular chapter and created new frames and folio - the issue was cleared. Reexporting PDF from the Book was perfect and doesn't have the page numbering sequence issue. May be you can try this in InDesign CS5.5 itself.

• 10. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                            rontiara Level 1

John:

It's sort of a moot point now, since I've switched to CS5.5.  But you wanted to see the CS4 error messages.

They're in this file:  http://www.jonnianderson.com/InDesign/ScreenShots.zip

I realized I had it backwards:  I was able to open the BOOK in CS4.  But I couldn't open any of the documents.  The screenshots should give you some idea why I threw up my hands and gave up.

Good luck.

• 11. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf

Ron,

Your screen shots indicate you converted the CS4 versions of the files in the book to CS5.5 by saving withthe same anme inthe same location and overwriting the originals. CS4 cannot open CSlater files, so you've lost one back door. To work in CS4 you would need to open each of theses files in CS5.5 and export to .idml, then open that in CS4 and save as a new .indd file.

Let me assure you that if the master page size did not change in CS4 when you used Document Setup there is a serious problem, either in your procedures or your system. I just wnt through exactly the same thing a few months ago on a book with about 15 chapters in CS4, and it worked just fine (and Layout Adjustment is a big help). To maintain the same page count you need to change both the page size and the margins (this is two steps -- one in document setup and one in Layout > Margins and Columns... (you ned to fix margins on each master page) and your text frames need to be snapped to the margins with Layout Adjustment on before you do anything, so you might need to adjust margins once to before you change page size to snap them to existing frames before you can do the size change.

I suspect you might have tried using Synchronizing master pages across the book as a shortcut. This WON'T work. Books are allowed to have pages of differnt sizes and shapes. I don't know waht to expect if you try synch masters in such a case (haven't tried it), but I wouldn be sorprised if it was messy.

I don't use the Page Tool in CS5.5, either, but again, I suspect you might have tried that as a way to change the book size. I have a lot of trouble wrapping my head around the Page tool ( which is why I don't use it), but it does not change the document setup. It is really meant, I think, for cases where you want an individual page or pages in a larger document to have a differnt size from the norm. To change the format of the entire book, Document Setup and Layout Adjustment are still the correct method.

• 12. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                rontiara Level 1

I tried your fix, Indrajith.  It worked for the first few chapters, and then the problem started again.

I'm wondering if it has to do with paragraph styles, but I haven't explored that.

Thanks anyhow.

• 13. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                  rontiara Level 1

I had the same problem with changing master page sizes in CS5, Peter.  Yes, the page size does change in the master when I go into Document Setup, but I finally determined that I must go into each and every chapter and change the document size (a daunting task when you're working with 40-odd chapters).  I did try synchronizing the master pages throughout the book, and, you're right:  I wound up with a mess.

It seems to me that it would make sense that a Master Page named "Master A" should be the same size and format throughout the document, and that if a different page size is needed, one would use a different Master Page name.

Quite frankly, I am not positive I used "Layout Adjustment".  I tried so many things I got myself thoroughly confused.

As for opening documents in CS4, I can't quite see how the documents could have been opened and saved in CS5, because the backup modification date was well before I started using CS5.  On the other hand, it's an automatic backup system; who knows what it saves or how?

But that is pretty much a moot point now, because I had so many other problems with CS4 I gave up on it entirely.

I do appreciate your help, Peter.  Don't give up on me!

~~~R

• 14. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                    John Hawkinson Level 5

R:

but I finally determined that I must go into each and every chapter and change the document size (a daunting task when you're working with 40-odd chapters).

It seems to me that it would make sense that a Master Page named "Master A" should be the same size and format throughout the document, and that if a different page size is needed, one would use a different Master Page name.

You're using the words" chapter" and "document" in ways that are pretty confusing. Generally when we say "document" we mean "INDD file" (aka layout). And when we say "book file" we mean INDB file.

Saying "chapter" doesn't really mean anything (is it a sub-unit of an INDD file? Is it a Section? Or is it just whatever you want it to be)? Saying "book" promotes hopeless confusion, since some people will layout a Book in a single InDesign document (INDD file) or multiple, possibly combined in an INDB file and possibly not.

It would be a lot clearer if you were...well, a lot clearer. I  recommend saying "INDD file" and "INDB file" because that's pretty unambiguous. (Normally I'd recommend "document" to mean INDD file, but you seem to have used it the other way, so the ship's sailed there).

If you had a batch of 40 INDD files to change the layout parameters on, then Scripting would have been the answer.

• 15. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                      rontiara Level 1

John:  My difficulty with editing the CSS in an epub was NOT a "wild claim!"  I don't have time to be playing such silly games, and I really don't appreciate the condescension.

I opened it with one of the unzip programs; I'm not sure which one I used, because I have a couple on my computer:  CAM Unzip and WIN RAR.

And I certainly wouldn't have said it didn't work if I hadn't tried rezipping it and reading it!  Yes, I tried it:  it wouldn't open in any epub reader.  The reader didn't recognize the file format.

It could well have been the zip program I used.  I've never of 7-Zip but I will try to find it.  I used Notepad2 for the actual editing.

• 16. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf

rontiara wrote:

The reader didn't recognize the file format.

Did you remeber to change the file extension after re-zipping?

• 17. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                          John Hawkinson Level 5

John:  My difficulty with editing the CSS in an epub was NOT a "wild claim!"  I don't have time to be playing such silly games, and I really don't appreciate the condescension.

Sorry, if you see it that way. You said, "as far as I know, it can't be done on a PC without oXygen."

Now, the fact is it can be done under Windows, and very easily. (Turns out more easily than on the Mac, for annoying technical reasons that don't really matter here). It's important to be clear to other readers of the thread. Commercial tools like the oXygen XML Editor are not required. It can easily be done on a PC, and done without oxYgen.

Yes, you said, "as far as I know," but my point was to be clear that your experience was not representative, and your statement was not accurate. Remember that others will search these forums and find your posts and hope to learn from them.

There are a myriad of tutorials out there on how to do this. I hesitate to suggest anyone's steps in particular because I haven't vetted them, but you can google "unzip epub windows" and find quite a variety.

I'm sure it didn't work for you! But not because it cannot be done!

Did you get to my next paragraph where I asked if you had taken care to isolate the zipping/unzipping from the editing software? It's an important question. You've touched the EPUB file with (at least) two tools (to zip/unzip and to edit the contents). If that's not working, the first step is to determine which tool is causing the problem!

Anyhow, have a Happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate it!

• 18. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                            bretperry Level 1

On Mac, use the free EPUB Zip and EPUB Unzip 1.0.3 scripts.

ePub files use a "special" zip format in which some parts are NOT zipped. The trick is to zip only certain parts of it, see discussions and downloads here:

-- EPUB Zip and EPUB UnZip can be found at: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681&page=2

-- EPUB Zip and EPUB UnZip are Created by Dan Rodney http://www.danrodney.com for Noble Desktop http://www.nobledesktop.com

-- EPUB Zip and EPUB UnZip are Inspired by EPUB Zip 1.0.2.app originally written by pdurrant and found at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55681

(and of course for .idml files, change the extension to .idml when done)

• 19. Re: Page numbering wrong when exporting to pdf
                                              ralfellis Level 1

Had the same problem – drove me mad. Only one or two chapters in each book were effected. And because we did not spot this, we were selling books with the same page number all through a chapter.

Solution.

I found a solution that works every time, and it is quite simple. The problem lies in the Master Pages section. 

The solution is to create a new Master Page (but not copying the previous Master). Copy details from a Master Page that works! Make sure the new Master has the same dimensions and indents as the old one.

Then change all the pages in that chapter to the new Corrected Master. (A global change to all pages – easy to do). 

Presto – you should have proper page numbering in the resulting pdf.

Cheers,
                                              Ralph