3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 6:43 AM by Ned Murphy

Portfolio in flash?

lyttmab

Hello everybody,

I'm totally new to this forum, so i hope i am at the right place for my question.

I am fairly new to flash and i have practice it a lot for my study, also webdesigning is part of my study. I want to make a portfolio site for a friend. she likes to draw a lotand would like a website.

So i want to make a portfolio site for her.  Now i was wondering if flash was the right solution and if anyone has experience with it? And would it be possible to add and remove pictures easily?

I will probably have more questions if flash is the right program, but for now this is the most important.

Greets,

Bas

• 1. Re: Portfolio in flash?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Flash has often been used for portfolio sites, such as for calleries and slideshows, although there are alternatives you could consider as well.  As a web designer you should consider having an alternative non-flash version of the site for those who do not have Flash players - you might decide it unnecessary, but it should be considered.

It can be somewhat easy to maintain a site as far as adding and removing pictures, though setting it up does require knowledge of processing data files and/or working with server-side scripting languages such as PHP.  Also whoever adds and removes pictures would need to be familiar with editing the data resources and uploading files to a server.

• 2. Re: Portfolio in flash?
            lyttmab Level 1

Thanks for the fast reply.

I don't have any experience with PHP at all, and i'm too busy at the moment to put any time in it. Still i want to make it in flash.

I have to practice with as much as i can, since I'll be making quite a big test about flash in 7 weeks. Afterwards I can start thinking of alternatives.

• 3. Re: Portfolio in flash?
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't need PHP, but if you want to make it easy to change the content without editing the Flash file, you still need to deal with some form of external data file.  XML is one of the most common file formats used as a data source and learning how to work with it should be a part of your course work.