10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 3:31 AM by Peter Spier

Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results

tm6550 Level 1

Relative newbie with ID5.5, PSE8, Mac OS10.5.8. Complete wraparound cover for a paperback has 1) composite background landscape psd image imported from PSE8, 2), multiple layers of typography (title, author, etc) added with ID, and another layer with a psd image of an airplane. This cover has successfully been printed on proof copies of the book, but the airplane image shows some pixelation around the edges. I've determined that I used a lower resolution airplane image than intended (96dpi/2.6MB), and I want to remove it and replace with a higher resolution one.

The new image was extracted from a photograph that is 2.6MB, 2924x1895 pixels. I used the Polygonal Lasso tool in PSE8 to copy and paste onto a new layer, then saved the image at 300dpi. The result is a very crisp airplane image of 9137x5922 pixels with a file size of 19.4MB.

I deleted the old layer with the airplane, used the File > Place to select the psd airplane image, and for the first time since I've been doing this with different cover schemes, I get a quick preview progress bar and "TIFF" as the cursor loads. I position the cursor on the cover, click to position the image and a new layer is created with the name of the file.

But the image isn't visible. The visibility toggle shows it should be, and I've deselected all the other layers to find it and it's still not there.

I've checked the help files to confirm my steps and verified that they should work. I cannot figure out why the same steps I've used successfully in the past (but without the preview/TIFF scroll bar) add a layer that I cannot see.

Can anyone steer me toward a solution? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
          John Hawkinson Level 5

for the first time since I've been doing this with different cover schemes, I get a quick preview progress bar and "TIFF" as the cursor loads. I position the cursor on the cover, click to position the image and a new layer is created with the name of the file.

That sounds wrong. Could you have saved a TIFF-format-file with a .psd extension?

It is true that InDesign's support for PSD files is not complete, and some special effects can cause problems.

Try flattening your PSD and Save As as a  (wait for it...) TIFF.

• 2. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
            tm6550 Level 1

Thank you, John. I've included a screen grab of the info on the new file. It's PSD as far as I can tell, although my previous description of the size was wrong. I don't know nearly as much as I'd like about this, but it appears that I've got all the resolution I need to use this on a paperback cover without visible pixelation. Maybe the size is causing the problem? Airplane Extract.jpg

• 3. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
              John Hawkinson Level 5

I've included a screen grab of the info on the new file. It's PSD as far as I can tell

Are you basing this conclusion on the Get Info information? If so, it is not reliable, and will change with file extension. reopen the file in Photoshop [Elements] and re-save as PSD.

Maybe the size is related to the problem, but not solely.

Did you try my recommendation from my earlier post?

• 4. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
                tm6550 Level 1

It definitely is a PSD file, John, in a single layer designed to be placed on top of the background, and the flattening eliminates transparency, so that doesn't work.

• 5. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
                  red_aussie Level 1

HI. Could you check a couple of things. As start, when you place the image into InDesign: did you check the option at bottom left "Options"? To bring in the right layer in. And second, you don't need to re-place the image: just re-link to the same file or another chosen one. Also, right click the frame that has the image and make sure that you 'fit image proportionally', even if you did that the first time.

• 6. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
                    tm6550 Level 1

Thanks red_aussie: I tried everything you suggested, and no matter what I did, the loaded cursor would create the new layer without me being able to see it.

It's 3:30 a.m. here, and after about five hours of frustration, I finally abandoned that approach and returned to PSE where I had built a complete cover before trying to do the background image in PSE and the typography in ID.

The PSE file had an airplane image at 122dpi,which I removed and replaced with a 300dpi image. Then I flattened the file there and imported it into ID and saved it as an INDD file.

With File > Adobe Presets I chose PDFX1A2001 and the 2008 PDF format and saved it. Opened with Adobe Reader, the full-screen view's physical size on my 15" MacBook Pro is almost exactly that of a 5.25x8" paperback. I realize this in no way recreates how the cover will look in real life, but I can definitely see a big improvement.

I appreciate the help from you and John. Thanks.

• 7. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've glanced quickly through this thread, and it doesn't look like things have been solved, and my own questions are not addressed, so here goes:

How did the file size get from 2924x1895 to 9137x5922 pixels? At 300 ppi, that image is over  30 x 19 inches, which I suspect is larger than your book cover. Are you sure you aren't looking at a transparent area of the background in a full size version of the image?

• 8. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results

Let me add that I remember previous discussions with you about this cover, I think, but I could use a refresher on the steps taken to create the cover image. Re-reading it sounds like maybe you re-composited the background to include the airplane, and placed a single image into ID. Is that correct? And the airplane shows in PSE, but not in ID?

• 9. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results
                          tm6550 Level 1

Good early morning, Peter:

And I'm the newbie that you and others helped get to the point at which I was able to design a cover that worked well through three proof copies and then on the fourth developed pixelation around the edges of the airplane. DIscussions with Createspace determined that the most probable causes are variations in the print-on-demand process and an airplane image whose resolution is not high enough for reliable results,

I still get confused about canvas size, image size, document size, and the effect of ppi on all of that, so I'm not going to be putting this in the right terms, but the source image with the airplane in it against an airport and city background is shown in the info window as being a 2.6MB 2924x1895 pixels file. I extracted the image, placed it on a layer, and saved it for use on the front cover.

I constructed the composite background image in PSE to fill a document of 8.25"x11.7", free-transformed the airplane image to layer it on top of the background, imported that into ID, and added all the typography there. That's the cover I've been using and satisfied with up until a few days ago.

According to the info for the original extracted airplane image, I had saved it at 122 ppi. Probably inadvertently, because I'd have no reason to choose that. The aborted attempt involved making a copy of the cover, removing the original low-res airplane image and replacing it with the original extracted image saved at 300 ppi. I was never able to place that image into the INDD file successfully. I've used the place command numerous times before, and having never seen the cursor behave this way, I was at a loss about what to do.

I still am, and I'd like to learn enough about the application to understand what's going on, but the novel is currently out there for sale with a cover that's not up to the standards I set when I started out. I went back to the cover built totally in PSE, removed the lower res image, and replaced it with the new one. It looks a lot better, and I need to get it uploaded to Createspace as soon as I can.

It's been a while since we e-talked. Hope you are doing well.

• 10. Re: Placing a psd image into InDesign with baffling results

I am well, thanks, but still a little confused. Is the airplane placed into ID as part of the other image, or all by itself? If it's part of the other image, I'm baffled, but it's its own separate object in ID we can find out some more things about it by doing a few things. Also, and this is going to sound strange, if it is a separate object, you should try resaving as a TIF if you can preserve tranparency in tiffs from PSE, and place that instead. Bob Levine discovered an Acrobat smoothing artifact with .psd silhouettes that he wrote about in http://indesignsecrets.com/screen-artifacts-on-transparent-psds-in-exported-pdfs-can-be-de ceivingmost-of-the-time.php and that might be waht you are seeing.