2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2011 10:51 PM by red_aussie

3rd Party Plagin - Croptima and InDi 5.5

red_aussie

Hi. I have installed the new version of InDesign 5.5 with its relevant updated and just purchased a copy of Croptima InPlate. I have Win7 and also a Mac at work. On both systems the software installs but doesn't show in InDesign. Have contacted Croptima but they reckon that it should on both systems. I have tried at least a dozen of times with different option but nothing happens. Now, the only thing that comes up is the software (InPlate) looking for an upgrade and then shut down. Doesn anyone have or had the same issue? Yes, on W7 have admin permissions and disabled virus and firewall. Any one has any idea or should I think this is a dud software? I did use it in V2 earlier with CS3 but now is useless with V5.5. Finally seems to be reports that Adobe is blocking third party plugins in they latest upgrades: is this a bug or deliberated. Thanks. guys!

• 1. Re: 3rd Party Plagin - Croptima and InDi 5.5
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Finally seems to be reports that Adobe is blocking third party plugins in they latest upgrades: is this a bug or deliberated.

Neither.

InDesign has always required that plugins be rebuilt for every version of InDesign, because internals change. A CS4 plugin won't work with CS5, etc.

CS5.5 shipped with a bug in the plugin checking code that allowed CS5 plugins to load. This may be what you were referring to. Those CS5 plugins would then exhibit unreliable and unpredictable behavior. In some cases htey would seem to work but could do serious damage to documents.

A recent patch release of CS5.5 corrected this bug and CS5.5 now correctly prohibits CS5 plugins from working.

As above, I suspect this is what you are referring to. But next time, don't say "reports," provide a citation, a link, a quotation. So we can work on fact and not rumor.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 3rd Party Plagin - Croptima and InDi 5.5
            red_aussie Level 1

Sorry John. The only time I found out there was an issue with the plugin use in Indesign is when I read a comment in this forum site a few days ago. Your answer has unswered a good deal of the problem. Thanks.