11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 5:23 PM by davidjerk

Image with multiple handles

davidjerk Level 1

Hi,

I cut and paste image from Adobe Illustrator into Indesign. I am puzzled and confused to see 3 various handles. I just want to scale the image however each time I have scaled down wrongly. The image seems to be cropped and hidden. Below is my screen shot. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you.

confused.jpg

• 1. Re: Image with multiple handles
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Why is this coming from Illustrator? It's a raster image and should be PLACED, not pasted, as an image. The ONLY non-text content you should consider pasting (unless it is copied from palced content in an ID document) is simple paths, never rasters.

In the sample file you snet me there are a couple of things going on. You have two images. Both need frames when thay are pasted, and the lower image is simply inside the frame that ID created when you issued the paste command with nothing selected. The upper image is more confusing because the image is inside a frame, and THAT frame is inside another frame (this appears to be the case inthe screen shot above, too). I suspect you might have drawn that frame first, then used Paste Into, but I have no way of telling. Depending on the structure, and the tool in use, you can select either the container frame or the content (double-clicking with the selection tool will cycle through container/content selections). In you case all of the frames are on the default layer and their bounding boxes are blue, The images contained inside the frames will have brown bounding boxes when they are selected instead of the container.

You can move the image around inside the frame that contains it, and if you have one frame inside another you can move the inner frame around inside the outer. Your scaling will be applied (if you are scaling and not just cropping -- use the modifier keys with the mouse as explained to you in another thread if you need to scale, or use the scale fields, scale tool or free transform tool inistead of the Selection tool) to both the frame and its contents if you select the frame, but only to the image if you select it directly.

• 2. Re: Image with multiple handles
            davidjerk Level 1

Hi,

I got a Microsoft Word file with all the colour images. I have to copy them to paste in Illustrator to convert to greyscale then paste again into Indesign. Is there a better way to get the images from Word file directly to Indesign? Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Image with multiple handles

What format is the Word file? Do you have Photoshop?

• 5. Re: Image with multiple handles
                davidjerk Level 1

Hi,

I am using Microsoft Word version 2000 to open the doc file. Trying to save the document as html, images are in folder with low resolution.

• 6. Re: Image with multiple handles

I don't think you can get full res out of Word 2000. Can you get them to send you the files separately?

• 7. Re: Image with multiple handles
                    davidjerk Level 1

Hi,

He designed and did the type setting and layout in Word. He included a lot of WordArt, images and cliparts. He does not know about Adobe Applications.

• 8. Re: Image with multiple handles

This is fairly typical of an amateur, but it doesn't mean they can't supply the images as separate files. Word Art probably needs to be copied and pasted into Illustrator, then saved as .ai (not sure this is possible -- I avoid Word Art like the plague) or recreated from scratch in Illustrator and placed. Clip art and images are external files that had to be loaded from someplace.

• 9. Re: Image with multiple handles
                        davidjerk Level 1

What I did was I clicked the images, clipart and WordArt one by one to paste in Adobe Illustrator. Then copied from Ai to Indesign. Tedious and troublesome as I do not have other option, do I?

• 10. Re: Image with multiple handles

Don't copy and paset from AI. Save the files as .ai or PDF, then PLACE them in ID. But it's ahrd to know if your images are as good as they would be if you had the originals...

• 11. Re: Image with multiple handles
                            davidjerk Level 1

Hi,

The best image resolution that I can get is copy from Word file and paste in Ai then paste again in Indesign. Strange but true.