2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 7:10 PM by peterent

File Read/Write Question

The_Trump_Card
      Hello Everyone, nice to see a large Flex user group.

I am a beginner to flex and I have a simple question. I am currently writing a web application in Flex. I compute some data and all I want to do is take this string and write it to a file on the local disk. In other words, writing some data to a location on the disk. Please note that this is a web application. I did some searching and could not find anything that works...since it is a flex web application they have some tight security. I am guessing we might need some help from javascript or something but do not know how to do that. If anyone could help me with this it would be really helpful. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: File Read/Write Question
          camfieldaj
          If I understand what you're asking, I don't think you can do that from a Flex application running in the client browser. You can use php or some other server based language to open files and write to them on the server. Maybe you need to look at AIR as an alternative because that runs in the client machines address space and has access to local files.
          • 2. Re: File Read/Write Question
            peterent Level 2
            This is correct - web apps cannot write to the local disk. Imagine you went to a web site that has a banner SWF and that SWF was written to open a file on your disk and fill up your disk drive. Or perhaps worse, the SWF opens a file and reads your personal and financial information. You just cannot be sure what is going to happen when you visit a web site. So we made the Flash Player as secure as possible and removed the ability to read or write local files.

AIR, on the other hand, does not have that restriction. So you might want to look into that if writing to the local disk is important.