6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2011 1:32 PM by konrad509

I can't set different names for buttons...

konrad509

When I add two or more the same buttons and changing the name of one, the name of the others also changes. How to set different names to each button? I tried creating buttons by copying, duplicating and nothing...

• 1. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

1. If you drag three instances of a button to the stage, and you select one of these buttons, then go to the Properties window, you should be able to set a unique instance name at the top of the Properties listings. When you select another button and go to the Properties for that button, you should see either no instance name or an instance name other than the name that you gave to the first button.

2. If you have one button on the stage and you give that button an instance name in the Properties window, and then duplicate that button, it will also have the same instance name. To change the instance name of one of them, select it and then change the name in the Properties window.

3. If you change the name of any object in the Library, all instances of that original object on the stage will have a new object name. This is not the instance name.

• 2. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...
            konrad509 Level 1

Ehh.. Thanks for reply and sorry. I expressed wrong. I meant text on the button, not the button name...

• 3. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...

If the text is a part of the original button object, then no, you can't set different text in each instance of the button on the stage. You'll have to make the text a separate element and place it on top of the button.

• 4. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...
                konrad509 Level 1

But I did it when I was creating another application. I duplicated the button, then put it on the stage and changed text on it. It worked. But now I can't do it. I'm using buttons from Common Libraries.

• 5. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...

If the text belongs to the button object, then changing any part of that original object will be reflected in every instance of that object on the stage.

If you import one original button to the Library, then duplicate that button in the Library, you can set unique text for each of those buttons and place one instance of each on the stage.

If you place instances of that single button on the stage and then change anything in the instance, you are really changing the original.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: I can't set different names for buttons...
                    konrad509 Level 1

I opened Common Libraries, selected and dragged button to the Library and duplicated it. Then I changed text on that button and it also changed on the original one... I don't know... either I don't know how to do this or there must be some problem with program. You can see my first application here http://www.fileserve.com/file/Mk6vb4p/delta_i_kalk.fla and tell me how I did it there (don't judge its apperance )