4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 9:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Drag and drop Picasa Album Into Premiere Elements 10

OldMediaMan

I tried to drag and drop videos from an album I made in Picasa into Premiere Elements.  No dice.  I tried to drag and drop files from windows explorer into Elements.  No dice.  I have 200 files from various folders all over my machine, assembled in a Picasa album, and I have no way of importing those files into Elements from what I can see.  Anyone know how I can do this?

I even tried to be clever, grabbing the Picasa XML file that contains the full paths of each file and then creating a space delimited list (with Quotes around each path) and pasting it into the OPEN FILE dialog.  But there seems to be a maximum string length.  No dice.

Your help would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Keith

• 1. Re: Drag and drop Picasa Album Into Premiere Elements 10
          OldMediaMan Level 1

I thought I'd also mention that the only solution I could come up with was exporting all my videos into a single folder on my machine and importing them that way.  And I will do that.  But that is a terrible solution.  Because that means I have to duplicate Gigabytes of videos.  That is a worst case scenerio.  The other solution is to completely remake my "album" in Premere by importing each video individually.  OMG, I paid $100 for this software to make my life easier.  I hope this has a happy ending.

• 2. Re: Drag and drop Picasa Album Into Premiere Elements 10
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless the PrE/PSE Organizer will recognize the Picasa Album, I think that your workaround will be the only way to handle things. When trying to work across several organizational programs, things usually do not work well, or seamlessly. Also, many programs use proprietary formats for their organizational databases, it would be uncommon for one program to recognize the Album from another.

Now, I have never used Picasa, so do not have any experience with which other programs might recognize its database.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Drag and drop Picasa Album Into Premiere Elements 10
              OldMediaMan Level 1

The thing is, both Premiere project files and Picasa albums are just XML files.  I am a software developer and could create an application that could read in the file list in the Picasa album and read in the Premiere project file, and add the list of files that I want.  That's ridiculous though.  Being able to drag and drop a file list from one application to another is standard in windows.  And when you drag and drop a bunch of files from Picasa it's the same process of dragging and dropping from Windows Explorer.  The Premiere project window should support this operation, just like Adobe After Effects does.  It's bizarre that I'd have to create an applicaiton for such simple functionality. 

I'll take another look at Elements Organizer and see if I can figure out something in there.  Thanks for the reply Bill.

• 4. Re: Drag and drop Picasa Album Into Premiere Elements 10
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the PREL (Project) file is XML, however it is structured for PrE to be able to read (and write) it. If PrE can read the Picasa XML (the structure makes sense to the program), then it just might work.

Unfortunately, I have never used Picasa, so have no idea of its Album files structures. I also cannot recall anyone mentioning working with it, and PrE, but maybe missed that/those thread(s).

Other than the general observation, offered above, I have no useful knowledge on what might, or might not work. However, as you experiment, please update this thread, as it might prove very helpful to others - and I get to learn something!!!!

Good luck,

Hunt