9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2011 1:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Reducing projector noise

holbrookp Level 1

I'm new to Premiere Elements 10 and plan on making some of my first projects the transfer of some Super 8 sound home movies onto DVD and the web. I have the films loaded in Premiere Elements but I'm noticing that some have the noise of the projector in the background. I made them with the camera's mic picking up the sound from the projector speaker since I have no way to record just the sound alone.

I haven't had much luck with using the audio effects to reduce the sound. So I'm wondering whether anyone knows what filters I should use. I want to reduce or eliminate (no chance of that, I know) the projector noise so that the voices can be heard better. Thanks to anyone who has any advice!

I have Steve Grisetti's books ordered but I'd like to get something done on this project in the meantime. I don't quite understand how the audio effects change the audio but I'm hoping the books will give me a full understanding of them.

• 1. Re: Reducing projector noise
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Did the Super 8 films have Audio?

If so, you will probably want to mic the speaker for the projector, and then muffle the projector sounds, with some Sono-Foam, or maybe some blankets. With some projectors, you can plug into an output, and recored the Audio, right from the projector, without having to go through its speakers. Depends on the equipment though.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Reducing projector noise
            holbrookp Level 1

Yes, the Super 8 films had audio. Thanks for answering. I was hoping for a solution that would correct what's already recorded, but you're right: I should go back and record them all over again.

My camera doesn't have an external audio input.

I didn't think the projector noise would be so noticeable when I recorded them.

• 3. Re: Reducing projector noise
              Ted Smith Level 3

Record the sound at the same time you shoot it on your computer mic up close to the projector speaker. Use Audacity (free) to record a WAV file

Test before recording that you dont have the mic volume too high

Then sync this up later and disable the camera sound on the clip. clap your hands in front of the camera before you start to make it easier to sync pic and sound and they should stay in sync.

Or if your projector has an external speaker, put it right near the camera so the sound is many times louder to the camera than the noise and wrap a thick towel around both as much as possible.

Incidently do you get a moving black bar or flicker in the picture?

If not how did you get rid of it?

• 4. Re: Reducing projector noise
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The removal of "noise" in an Audio file is usually tricky, hard work and often not that good. Still, this ARTICLE goes into more detail. Unfortunately, with Audio noise, there is no "magic bullet."

In my case, my Eumig Dual-8 projector has a a line out (DIN plug), and I just feed that to either my recorder, or camera, and in the case of the latter, select only Line In, to turn off the mic.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Reducing projector noise
                  holbrookp Level 1

Ted Smith: Thanks for your advice. The camera I used was a Sony Digital 8 model that was able to capture the video without flicker because it has a five-position slow-shutter feature. Just using the first setting perfectly removed the shutter flicker!

• 6. Re: Reducing projector noise
                    holbrookp Level 1

Bill Hunt: I do have some super 8 films with less projector noise, and I think those may have been shot with the projector volume set loud enough for the speech and other soundtrack audio to drown out the projector. I remember seeing, over a decade ago, a home film transfer setup using a large styrofoam cooler or tote placed over a projector with an opening cut into it for the projector beam. That may be an option for me, since my camera does not have an audio-in jack.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Reducing projector noise
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you need to make such (in film parlance, it's called a "Blimp"), most art stores sell Gatorfoam board, that would make a good "Blimp," and then just line it with Sonofoam, or even upolstry foam. I'd cut vent holes in the back for cooling. One would still have to place a mic, next to the projector's speaker, unless the signal can be routed to separate speaker(s) outside the Blimp.

Blimping should not be necessary, if the projector has a Line Out, and the camera has a Line In, as you would just connect there, and not use the speaker on the projector, which will not be that good anyway.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Reducing projector noise
                        Ted Smith Level 3

IF you cant connect the projector directly to your computer, it would be a lot easier to just record the sound seperately on your computer AT THE SAME TIME as you are videoing it then sync both up in Premier Elements later as I suggested. Record it as a 44khz 16 bit wav file that is  compatible with PE

As you will also have your noisy camera sound track you can drag the new track on the second timeline audio track to the same timeline position as the camera track to make sure your sound is synced then disable the camera track

If you have your computer mic right in front of the projector speaker you wont hear any projector noise if you have the projector sound fairly loud and the computer mic volume low so it doesnt overload.

• 9. Re: Reducing projector noise
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, so much will depend on the availability of Line Out from the projector. If that is available, then it's easy, and quite, to just feed that to the computer, or directly to the camera. If Line Out is not available, then things get rather messy and quickly.

Hunt