2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2008 9:35 AM by AJ Owens

CHM, Forms and CGI

DD71
      RoboHelp HTML X5.0.1, Build 606

I'm creating an instructional CHM and I would like to add forms so I can save information about the user progress. I would like to use the Forms & CGI but the help file for RoboHelp only gives a brief description of what CGI is. Are there any good books or web sites that gives extensive tutorial on how to use CGI with RoboHelp?

In essence I want to create a mini database for each user that goes through the instructional CHM. I've looked for books on RoboHelp X5 online but I can't seem to find any. Were there any X5 books ever published?
        • 1. Re: CHM, Forms and CGI
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi DD71

Firstly, you need to be aware that while RoboHelp HTML has a basic capability for creating Forms, it was never designed to be any sort of a Forms processor. All it will do is provide the ability to insert form elements into an HTML page.

While it's capable of helping you create a basic form, it does absolutely nothing to assist with what that form should do after your user clicks the Submit button. Normally you will want to point the results to a server running a CGI script. For more information on CGI, click here.

Cheers... Rick
          • 2. CHM, Forms and CGI
            AJ Owens Level 1
            Here are the basic steps for setting up CGI:

- design a form that accepts input
            - write a script or program to process the data from your form
            - in your form, set up a Submit button with a link. The link is to the program file name, and usually includes the data in the form of key-value pairs. For an example,
            look at the link to the present page:
            http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messagepost.cfm?postaction=reply&catid=449&th readid=1353586&messid=4921766&STARTPAGE=1&parentid=4921766

- on your server, associate the program file name extension with a script interpreter that can run the program. The first line of the program has to contain a special statement for the benefit of the server -- sorry, I can't remember exactly what offhand. The data passed as key-value pairs is available in an environment variable.

On a Windows server, you could consider ASP as an alternative to CGI.