5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2011 10:22 PM by Aniks

adobe premiere timeline problem

hellohello5

I'm trying to work with the trial version. I can't drag clips to the timeline. I can't get the insert button to work. The automation button is greyed out. I don't know if I need to review the new version of premiere or the trial doesn't work. Can you let me know? I use to work a lot with Adobe premiere so I should be able to just do it. No luck. I've been hunting around the web and have gotten a bit tired. I've got my footage in a bin and the source window. I'm working with an mp4 file and I'm not sure what settings to chose.

• 1. Re: adobe premiere timeline problem
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, Premiere Elements is very different than Premiere 6.5. So is Premiere Pro.

But that said -- I'm not sure where the Insert and Automation buttons are, so I can't help you there.

But what model of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your Premiere Elements project?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you choose?

Depending on your source, it's quite likely the trial version of the program will not be able to work with MP4 video footage. Especially if it was downloaded from YouTube or shot with a pocket camcorder.

• 2. Re: adobe premiere timeline problem
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What, exactly, are you trying to do with the Clips? The use of the word "automation," makes me wonder.

In very general terms, PrE and PrPro work about the same, with but a few deviations, and not going back to Pr 6.5. Things should not be THAT odd.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: adobe premiere timeline problem
              hellohello5 Level 1

There isn't a scrubber to set the timeline panel. There are no audio or visual tracks. I don't know what I downloaded. This is frustrating. I shouldn't laugh, but it's bringing back all the bad memories of trying to teach Adobe Premiere. All I want to do is place an audio clip against a visual one. I have the trial version because I don't know if I want to buy it again. See attachment. I'm going to fight with Windows Media Maker. If this email is viewable to the general public please remove. Thanks for getting back to me. Is there a dirtball kind of editing handout? I couldn't find it quickly.

• 4. Re: adobe premiere timeline problem
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here is my free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series. Maybe it will help you with the basics.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

Once you understand how the program works, you should better be able to decide if it fits your workflow.

• 5. Re: adobe premiere timeline problem
                  Aniks Level 2

You might want to clear which version are you talking about. If it is Premiere Elements 10(PRE), I am sure there is no automation button as mentioned by you.

The simple step to drag clips to timeline in Premiere Elements 10 (whether trial or not) is :

1. Launch App.

2. Create a new project, enter the name of the project, choose project setting (you can leave it to default as well)

3. After PRE is up and running, you must be seeing grids with Get Media/Project/DiscMenus/Share panel just above it. (if not, Choose Window > Restore Workspace)

4. To bring a clip into the project go to Get Media Panel and choose appropriate option.

5. After bringing the clips, you can either drag and drop the clip to the timeline or you can right click the clip and choose insert to timeline and then later adjust the position.

Hope it helps.