5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2011 7:12 AM by the_wine_snob

Stills

tamzunc

I've read Bill Hunt's on working with stills and I believe I have followed the steps, cropping and resizing down to the project frame size. .  I have a PC running Win 7 with an i7 chip and 8 GB of RAM.  Nevertheless, all the stills I insert are loaded with jaggies and poor visual quality.  The last project I did I didn't have this problem.  Makes me think about switching to a Mac, but I saw some poor reviews of the new final cut pro.  Would Premiere C/S run any better?  My ambition is only to make fairly short 5-15 minute slightly arty videos.  Any suggestions appreciated.  By the way,  Camcorder is Vix HV 30 mostly shooting DV, thinking that this would be less taxing to the system.  Would DV work better?  Thanks

Jim

• 1. Re: Stills
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you rendered your timeline?

Press Enter if you see red lines above the clips/stills on your timeline. When the red lines turn green, you'll see your video at something much closer to your final output.

As I say in my books, you can get the BEST quality from your slideshow if you right-click on each still on your timeline, select Field Options and then set Flicker Removal.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stills
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

What are the specs. of your PrE Project?

What are the exact pixel x pixel dimensions of your Stills?

In PS, which Scaling algorithm did you use, say Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother, or Bicubic Sharper?

What was the original format of your Still Images, when you Opened them in PS?

Did you Save_As PSD from PS?

After Rendering (Steve's suggestion), did the quality in playback improve? Remember, PrE is actually creating Video from those Still Images @ ~ 30 FPS, so for smoothest and best playback, you do need to Render.

As for PrPro, as of CS 5, and now CS 5.5, it uses the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) and the CUDA capabilities of a certified nVidia card, and because of this, has allowed Adobe to write even better Scaling algorithms into PrPro, than even PS has, at this point. Soon, I think that PS will go the CUDA route, and with PS-Extended (handles light Video), probably even add MPE capability - but just not yet.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Stills
              tamzunc Level 1

Thanks you Steve and Bill.

1)  Now I see the red lines.  Do they turn green after render, or do I have to do something before?

Can you render before finishing project to see how it looks and then resume editting?

2)  Project settings:  DV, frame 720 by 480.  I did create a PSD file, cropped and resized I believe to the right frame size, although I'm still getting up to speed with that.  The original format was JPeg. 

I could add another 4 GB memory, and I could upgrade to prem 10, but I hate to just throw money at this. 

I'm tempted to switch to Apple, there are some great Mac Pro laptops with fast i7s, but then I heard that the new Final Cut was very dissapointing.

Thanks for your support and any other thoughts.

Jim

• 4. Re: Stills
                nealeh Level 5

All you have to do is hit [Enter] to render the project. And yes, after rendering, the lines go green.

Ultimately though, if you intend showing these 'arty videos' on a standard DVD player, you should burn a disk and view it on the player (use re-writeables to avoid wasting DVD blanks).

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Stills
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Neale has given you the method to Render the Timeline, and this ARTICLE will give you a bit more detail on what Rendering is, and what it does.

Good luck,

Hunt