7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2013 1:18 PM by NUVART

Quick find Italics and Bold fonts

SebastiaoV Level 1

Hi guys,

I have to copy and paste a InDesign text to an html Editor. Of course, the html will delete all font formatting so i have to put by hand one by one all the bolds and italics words again. But coming back to InDesign which could be a good Find/Replace shortcut to find all italics and bold words in a block of text no matter which the font type is?

Thanks and Cheers,

S

• 1. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
          tonyharmer Level 3

Hi

Would not exporting to HTML directly from InDesign be of some help to you here?

If not, the Find?Change dialog does allow you to search for formatting attributes (click the little symbol next to the Find Format field and take it from there):

findDialog.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
            TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Sebatiano,

I've got a script called "Create Character Styles From Overrides" -- the

website is: www.freelancebookdesign.com and then go to the scripts tab

and you'll see the script.

It will find all font variations (bold, italic, italics, bolditalic,

bold italic, medium, medium italics etc. etc. whatever's there it will

find) and everything else (if you choose) -- either working on the whole

document, a story, or the current selection.

Thanks,

Ariel

• 3. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
              SebastiaoV Level 1

Thanks tonyharmer, Good Info! i see the Find/Change formatting dialog is quite useful. Good luck for me most of the italics are in the general text.

However, i am afraid that when i have different font types that could also be Italics (like this image)

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1o8zgxcAKHbgXPMshqL3XjPorKkr

i could be missing one which is in a different font format. I mean going in this whole list is way too time consuming.

By the way, what is your suggestion on "Would not exporting to HTML directly from InDesign be of some help to you here?" can i do that and how? I just need the text not the images.

Cheers,

S

• 4. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
                SebastiaoV Level 1

Thanks Ariel your script is most interesting.

Cheers,
                S

• 5. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
                  RodneyA Level 3

Part of the problem is that Indesign doesn't just use the word "Italic," it uses things like "57 Oblique" for Univers, and "Kursiv" for Korinna. So one trick is to turn change all of your fonts into one font that behaves predictably.

I'd make a new copy of the Indesign document in case you want to preserve the good looks of the main document for print.

Then go to "Find Font..." under the Type menu. In the Replace With menu, select a font behaves well (Times is always a good bet). Change all of your "regular" fonts to Times regular, all of the italic fonts (whatever their original names) to Times Italic, etc.

Now export to html. If you want to get all fancy about it, you can use GREP to find all of the occurences of Times Italic and add html <i> and </i> codes upstream and downstream of them, ditto for bold, subscript, etc. Then you can export as Text and have the codes already embedded, and not have all of the graphics come along.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
                    SebastiaoV Level 1

thanks RodneyA, good info! i will try that in a new document to see how it works

by the way, do you know if InDesign does a clean export to html or contains some inserted messy code in it? like when you are saving in html from word is not very good because it does create a whole bunch of tags which doesn't meet html standards on clean code.

Cheers,
                    S

• 7. Re: Quick find Italics and Bold fonts
                      NUVART

Hi SebastiaoV,

looks like I am having the same issue as you. I was wondering if you figured out a way to export clean html. I have about 3000 Indesign files to export as text with proper tags for italics and bolds. If I am to tag each style in 3000 files (not to mention that might be some local formatting too) will take me forever.

Thanks.