1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 5:35 AM by Frustrated in AZ

faults in e-bookes

isia20

Some of my e-bookes show an information: Document conteins a resource which is too long or The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorectly. 

Why?

• 1. Re: faults in e-bookes
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

There could be a number of causes.  You haven't given us any information

about your situation, so I can guess, but that's what it is.  I mean no

'preaching', but let me outline some of the areas where a 'problem' could

arise.

Industry standards for epublications have a basic level of features that

all ebook publishers and distributors will meet.  Some will go farther than

others, and some will have proprietary features that will restrict the way

that ebooks are used.  Amazon is the most visible of these, linking its

Kindle ereaders to their website by using proprietary coding in their

ebooks.

The ebook itself is prepared by the publisher, and is supposed to be done

to the basic standard for the industry, so every one's ereader or computer

software will display it properly.  However, they may add some features

that go beyond the basics, which allow certain ereaders to do additional

things, like varying the text size and reformatting pages when displayed if

those features are built into the ereader software.

The software you use to move and display the ebook also should be working

according to the industry standard.  However, as with any software, there

are levels of that standard, and not all ebook display software will

display all features.

Ereaders themselves also should be able to display the text of an ebook

according to the standards, but all of them seem to have different

'features' that may not work 'according to standard'.  This is particularly

true of the lower level of ereaders coming from China and being sold here

with an odd name.

The industry is morphing all the time, and new devices such as tablets come

out with software that says it will let you read ebooks, but doesn't tell

you how to do that.

So, I don't know what type of device you're using to read ebooks, but I

assume from your comments that it says it will read the basic industry

standard ebooks.  However, from what you've said, I'll guess that either

the ereader or the software that you use on the erader (tablet, for

example) doesn't support some of the features that are embedded in the text

of the ebook - or isn't working correctly with the 'standard industry

text'.  This could be the fault of the ereader or the publisher who

composed the ebook.

If you repost and give us more information about your ereader, maybe we can

be a bit more specific.

=============