14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2011 7:43 AM by ja3754

How do I get an answer to a question

GrahamHe Level 1

This is the second time where I have been looking for support at the Adobe Forums, and the second time where I get no reaction whatsoever. Don't necessarily want to whinge, but what would be the procedure here; repost? Give up? Write a new thread asking what one should do about this?

Thanks in advance (I hope)

• 1. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
          macinbytes Level 4

Bump your thread. Replying to your own thread is the best best. Rewording or adding additional information or circumstances that led to your question may be helpful.

Google usually has answers too. That's what I use for most of my questions.

Sometimes there isn't an answer and people don't like to post replies to things they don't have an answer to. I still never got an answer to my question as to how to make a gradient from colored to clear (not paper) without using gradient feather or any Fx and I never got an answer. I suspect that's because it is unpossible. Illustrator does it. InDesign does not. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges.

• 2. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can create a gradient in Illy, apply it to an object and then copy/paste the object into ID. The gradient swatch should come along for the ride.

Can’t say I’ve tried the type of gradient you’re looking for however.

Bob

• 3. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

macinbytes wrote:

Bump your thread. Replying to your own thread is the best best. Rewording or adding additional information or circumstances that led to your question may be helpful.

Agreed. It's also possible the number of incoming questions moved your post too quickly to the dreaded Page #2 of the forum, the place where few forum readers dare to go. Since it has been 10 days since your enquiry, it's disappeared in the bogs of history.

If you want to bump your own thread (an awesome responsibility, see below), take the time to re-read your own wording and consider the possibility no-one answered because you were vague, incomplete, or completely incoherent. We've seen all of these pass by, the past few years. Any way, expanding on your own question, and perhaps telling a bit more on the things you tried in the mean time, really won't harm.

Bump Your Own Thread: Be careful with that awesome power! Personally I hate it when people resort to *hopeful bump* after having gotten no answer for a whole entire half an hour. OTOH, your 10-day waiting period is a bit on the long side. Some poster anwerers may log on only once or twice a week, but after that I think I'd bump *once* before giving up for good.

• 4. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                GrahamHe Level 1

I have asked around here and the answer I got was giving an object a soft edge (trying to translate from German here) and use that soft edge as a gradient, though Bob Levine's answer sounds pretty good too.

And thanks for your feedback; maybe Mr Levine will answer my question too ...

• 5. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                  GrahamHe Level 1

Thanks Jongware,

I'll wait a bit then and then maybe re-ask it. I don't think my first question was completely incoherent ...

• 6. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

As Macinbytes says, common reasons for not getting a response are that you have not provided enough information or a clear enough explanation of the problem, or your question is very specialized and falls outside the experience of upir responders. The forum is staffed entirely by volunteers who come here in their spare time to see if they can help.

I've looked again at what I think are the two posts you referenced above. Frankly, I don't understand the question about the PDF export and the CSV file, and I suspect nobody else did either. I don't even know if this is something you should be asking in scripting.

Your question about color profiles doesn't have nearly enough information, at least for me, to begin an answer. We'd need to know what version of ID is being used to make the PDFs, and what settings were used to create them. I'm not sure, either where you are seeing the RGB simulation profile. I also don't have Acrobat X so don't feel terribly comfortable trying to answer, but if there is no profile or intent information in the PDF, I'm would expect OUtput preview to use whatever profile is set up in the prefs under Color Management. My recollection is that Bridge does not synch Acrobat.

• 7. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                      GrahamHe Level 1

Hi Peter,

I understand. I will look at the question about personalisation in InDesign again and try to re-word it more clearly.

• 8. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                        macinbytes Level 4

Problem I have is the swatch doesn't come along for the ride.

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 3.04.52 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 3.01.47 PM.png

Illustrator makes a gradient from color to clear that can go on top of a raster image and print fine on any output device we've ever owned. InDesign has the gradient feather option which is similar but requires for the two major output devices we have us to either create a TIFF or RIP the item through a prepress system (RAMPage Harlequin RIP, GMG Color Proof's Adobe PDF Print Engine) and send a flattened file. Either way it is Flattened Filesville if you are using InDesign, not if you are using Illustrator.

If you paste just the swatch and not a group you get this:

Screen shot 2011-11-21 at 3.10.10 PM.png

It's been a gripe of mine with InDesign for years (I know there is a feature request form) and the only solution I know of is to flatten files. I've had several workflow vendors promise a good solution and all of them boil down to sending the file through Product X and spitting out a normalized (flat as a pancake) file to the output device's RIP and turning all their color management tricks off on the output device. I know I can do this, but I don't want to have to RIP every single job that is a one off single – twenties quantity poster through a RIP the same way I do an offset job. It just makes me feel like the textbook Bob Levine adage of "your printer is stuck in 1995" kind of scenario. We aren't talking hokey cheapo output devices too. I'm talking first birthday over two hundred kilobuck output devices.

• 9. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                          macinbytes Level 4

Figure this one out bob?

• 10. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I think the gradient swatch has to be CMYK. Is yours RGB by any chance?

Bob

• 11. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I try to catch the posts with 0 replies, must have missed these ones.

Bump it up. Or knock on my PM if you want to post a link to your thread.

But please do ask the question on the forum, not in the PM. I don't reply to questions in PM.

• 12. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Eugene Tyson wrote:

But please do ask the question on the forum, not in the PM. I don't reply to questions in PM.

Yeah same here. I'm here to help but I'm not for private help -- paid or otherwise.

The very first few times I took the effort of replying and asking to post in the forum instead, but nowadays I simply ignore unwarranted PMs.

• 13. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                                  macinbytes Level 4

Those examples were K but CMYK and RGB both behave the same way. Any non-opaque gradient from illustrator pastes in that way and one ends up having to recreate in InDesign with the wacky gradient feather, which doesn't print correctly.

It's just strange to me since Illustrator's transparency on gradients prints fine and historically InDesign is a much more print friendly application.

• 14. Re: How do I get an answer to a question
                                    ja3754 Level 2

If you place the Illustrator gradient instead of paste, does it print correctly?

(The gradient swatch still doesn't import into InDesign, and it's a clunky workaround to have to make the gradients in Illustrator)