I tried installing the trail version of Acrobat X Pro, and kept getting Error 16. This is the trial version I downloaded off the Adobe Website. I am running Windows Vista 32-bit with Service Patch 2. I tried uninstalling all my other adobe products, and then re-installing, but still got Error 16. I am the only user on my laptop so I should automatically have administrator privileges??? Any suggestions. I have gone back to Acrobat 9.0. I was thinking of buying Adobe X Pro, but if I can't get the Error 16 message resolved, I guess there is no point. Thankfully my acorbat 9 still works.
Try these steps :
1. Choose Start > Computer > Organize > Folder And Search Options, and then click the View tab.
2. In the Advanced Settings section, deselect the Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended) option and click OK.
3. Navigate to \Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\.
4. Right-click the Adobe PCD folder and choose Properties.
5. In the Attributes section, deselect Read-Only, click Apply, and then click OK.
6. In the Security tab, make sure that Administrators and System are listed and permissions for security are set to Full Control. If not, do the following:
1. Click Edit.
2. If the User Account Control (UAC) elevation prompt appears, then follow the instructions to accept it.
3. Make the necessary changes.
7. Click Advanced.
8. In the Owner tab, click Edit and accept the UAC elevation prompt if it appears.
9. In the Change Owners Section, click Administrators.
10. Select the Replace Owner On Subcontainers and Objects option and then click Apply.
11. In the Permissions tab, click Edit and accept the UAC elevation prompt if it appears.
12. Select Replace Permission Entries On All Child Objects With Entries Shown Here That Apply To Child Objects.
13. Click OK and Yes until you have closed the FLEXnet Properties dialog box.
14. Launch your Adobe application
Hope it helps.