5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 9:20 AM by Peter Spier

Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..

Stella1251 Level 1

Hi, I am in InDesign CS4 on a PC using XP.

I was wondering if it is safe to use text effects in InDesign such as the drop shadow and outer glow. I think someone told me a while ago that these are best used in Photoshop especially if you are going to print. Just wanted to check as I will be having something printed using ID...

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've never had a problem using drop shadow or a glow on text in ID when going to print, but I leave my transparency live and let the printer's RIP handle flattening. You might have issues with a printer who has old equipment and insists on having a flattened PDF, but if it's going on press (rather than digital output) even that is unlikely, though I tend to stay away from effects for ads where I'm not in charge of selecting the printer.

The only way that you'd avoid flattening issues by doing the effects in Photshop would be by flattening the image in Photoshop and placing that, but that will rasterize text unnecessarily and will probably result in poorer quality type in the final output.

• 2. Re: Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..
            Stella1251 Level 1

Thanks for your reply Peter.

What I normally do is I create my background in Photoshop and save it as a Photoshop .pdf, then I place that in InDesign and place the text over that .pdf  in InDesign. If I have any text with effects, I use Photoshop. The thing is, we might have people use our brochure source files to put their own information on it so they can print with it. I am just worried if they want to edit text, they will not be able to if I saved some of the text in Photoshop (that has those effects).

I always save as a press quality .pdf for printing through InDesign, I just do not have control over what everyone else will be doing with these files.

• 3. Re: Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..

Since transparency remains live in the Photoshop PDF, I see no difference in outcome if the same effect can be achieved in ID.

That said, I find your reasons for wanting to do it in ID very interesting. We regularly see people asking how to lock down files so they CAN'T be edited, but this is the first case I remember where someone has wanted to make it EASIER for unknown users to edit. Personally, I would NEVER deliver a native file to anyone other than the client, and rarely then. Are these supposed to be some sort of templates?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..
                Stella1251 Level 1

It won't really be a template, but they will mainly add their contact info and logo.

These will be for a customer to help market our products. They have to sign a corporate document before files are released.

Thanks for your input, I guess I will be doing the effects in ID

• 5. Re: Text effects in InDesign, drop shadow, outer glow, etc..

Most docs I see like that would be availble as a PDF with space where addtional logo and contact info would be added on top in the layout app of the user's choice (or the user would supply the art and you'd do it for them).